Brittle Items Question - Some Items Deteriorating Faster Than Others

AzarthAzarth Posts: 9
edited May 2019 in General Discussions
Hello UO community,

I'm noticing that some new brittle pieces I've been wearing are deteriorating very quickly compared to other brittle items. I'd been wearing some brittle items for months and they only wore down about 60 points. Last night I played for an hour with the new brittle items and they wore down 4-5 points in about an hour. This seems extreme comparatively. All items in question, old and new, are legendary artifacts.

I had a few ideas about this:
- The new items have more properties, some of which are "eater" properties, and some are health and stamina regeneration properties, which the older brittle items do not have. Could these be making such a difference?
- Could it be possible that brittle items wear down quickly for the first few points, but then plateau after some amount of wear and stop depreciating so rapidly?
- The rest of my armor, which all has titles (example: Hawkwind's Robe) is at pretty low durability, could this be incurring a greater hit upon the newer brittle pieces, which had a maxed out 255/255 durability? In which case, would it be prudent to repair all the other armor to max to protect the new brittle pieces from wearing faster?

Any help would be much appreciated! 

P.S. - In talking with others about this they skim over what I've wrote and just say antique things wear faster than brittle. I know this is true, and no item in question is antique, only brittle legendary artifacts.

Thanks in advance!
-Azarth

Comments

• quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    I beleive one of the factor of an item deteriorate in durability depends on the stats on it and which of these stats are the most used , but I could be 100% wrong , just what I noticed.
    For exemple if you have a mage with a chest tunic with only 20% LRc on it , and tinker legs with swing speed and damage increase % on it , but all you do cast spells no melee attacks , your chest tunic is most likely to drop faster in durability than your tinker leggings. 
    I think is is also why if you use a luck suit and a shield spell channeling with luck exemple but you have no parry , the shield will almost never deteriorate in durability . I think using the stats on items make them deteriorate faster but it could be all my imagination haha , good luck .
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    If by that logic then the question is answered. Possibly the eater pieces take more damage than non.

To echo Mervyn, armor lasts too long anyway.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited May 2019
    Urge said:
    If by that logic then the question is answered. Possibly the eater pieces take more damage than non.

There is a trash bin you can place yours in if you feel this way.  Don't change my gameplay when you can change yours without affecting me.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    — I have noticed the durability on my Samp’s entire suit has taken a giant hit since the Halloween event.

At first, I thought it was just because Khaldun was such a hard hitting spawn on my Samp. (Those purple things were the bane of my existence.) But even normal spawns or anywhere where I used to take my Samp now eats my suit and weapons up massively. 

Where I used to have to repair once a week, or every other week, I now have to repair weapons every other champ spawn; studded armor every other day, and jewelry/glasses every fourth or fifth day.

I have had this Samp suit and weapons for five years. The first four and half? I lost about 5 durability points on every piece - total.

In the past six months? The weapons have lost about 50 durability? The suit and jewelry have lost about 20-30 ...

So did they do something to speed up durability loss? Because my suit is imbued and my weapons player crafted - so they’re not brittle.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Brittle just means it can’t be PoFed, doesn’t lose durability faster than imbued. This is a a common misconception. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    Mervyn said:
    Brittle just means it can’t be PoFed, doesn’t lose durability faster than imbued. This is a a common misconception. 
       Hey, why aren't clean rings & bracelets able to be PoF'd?

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited May 2019
    Traditionally, jewellery has always had different durability settings to armour - in that they never used to even have durability, when legendaries first came out, they still didn't have any durability and i have a char that rolls with an 800 intensity bracelet that cannot wear down. Now they have gone extreme the other way - all legendary jewels are now antique and even the prized cannot be PoFed, but there just IS no "brittle" jewellery. You could argue that this is in fact just a labeling issue and that all current "clean" jewellery is just missing the brittle tag..

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Mervyn said:
    — Correct. This I know. MY point was, though, that in the past year or so it seems great and weapons are losing durability faster no matter what they are: crafted/imbued/brittle/prized ...

So I am just curious if there was some kind of change to durability as a whole in a patch that I missed or overlooked.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
    edited May 2019
    Mervyn said:
    — Correct. This I know. MY point was, though, that in the past year or so it seems great and weapons are losing durability faster no matter what they are: crafted/imbued/brittle/prized ...
     if you use Bushido & Parry together, that would be why the weapons are breaking faster.   each time you block/evade an incoming attack the weapon has a chance to lose a point of durability, in addition to the normal rate when your weapon lands a hit.  

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    if you use Bushido & Parry together, that would be why the weapons are breaking faster.   each time you block/evade an incoming attack the weapon has a chance to lose a point of durability, in addition to the normal rate when your weapon lands a hit.  

-- Still doesn't explain why my armor and jewelry is wearing down faster than it ever used to.

The suit on my Sampire was made for and given to me 5 years ago. In the first 4 1/2 years, my durability went from 255 on each piece down to around 250 on each piece, give or take a couple points ...

Since the beginning of October, each piece is now down to around 220, give or take a couple points. If I'm running 2-3 champ spawns a day? I have to repair every single piece of armor every other day.

Before this past October, I could run 2-3 champ spawns a day and only have to repair every other week or so. So I'm thinking something happened in a publish to make durability more ... realistic.

I can only presume it has something to do with PvP and the elite gear that PvPers use, how said gear has driven up costs in game, and how some PvPers are being very vocal on the forums about gear needing to wear out faster for a better turn over. [[And to get rid of the old, 15-mod l33t gear that is no longer obtainable.]]

... and that presumption is not to be negative about any of those points: they're valid. I'm just saying I feel like all of that combined is why I'm noticing my PvM gear wear out exponentially faster than it ever used to.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

edited May 2019
    You run 2-3 champs a day for 5 years and your armour is down to 220....

Someone please shoot me in the face.

edited May 2019
    Mervyn said:

-- Well aren't you just a bowl of sunshine today. -_-

I don't run 2-3 Champ Spawns every. single. day.

I get into moods where I'll run alters for a couple weeks daily, and then get into a crafting mood or taming mood or mat gathering mood.

But gathering imbuing Mats is the same thing as running Champ Spawns - down in the Abyss. And I use my Sampire for that, as well.

*Added Note: But again, I'm not saying losing durability faster is a bad thing. I'm just saying something changed and I'd like to know what because I don't like not knowing things.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

edited May 2019
    Mervyn said:

Because you are lying? Or you do not play?  Which offense warrants such a harsh punishment?

I have repaired my slayer bows I just made for the Plunder Beacons that have been out a little over a month many times.  I have actually noticed you get the warning when items are a 4.  I go repair them immediately. My crafted and looted armor has also needed repairs. At 4 durability the repair is not guaranteed.

But if I sit hidden at a spawn and kill a tamer in two hits I would also not need to repair my armor.

Your play style is different from mine and others who actually fight mobs in UO.

I have already shown you pictures of items that I use that are worn.  How much proof does it take for you to drop these fantasies you have about UO?

Bows are not armour. I said armour.

Mervyn said:
    Now they have gone extreme the other way - all legendary jewels are now antique and even the prized cannot be PoFed, but there just IS no "brittle" jewellery. You could argue that this is in fact just a labeling issue and that all current "clean" jewellery is just missing the brittle tag..
        I'm sure that's why, I wonder how long it's going to be, before it finally gets fixed?...   We've had two different "Bug Fix" publishes since, how is this still a thing?

if Clean jewelry + PoF isn't going to get fixed, they might as well not spawn.

I wonder how that PoF + Antique item bug-fix is going?  

CovenantX said:

-- Still doesn't explain why my armor and jewelry is wearing down faster than it ever used to.

The post I responded to, you were referring to your weapon only.

-My armor suits seem consistent in terms of durability loss based on the template & content I partake in as they always have been.    So, dunno what to tell you.

Durability loss rates.

Antique  - normal rate of loss in addition to -1 every 6 minutes in combat. (-1/6min does not occur once the current durability reaches 0/255)

Prized - It seems about 50% greater chance of durability-loss when hit,when compared to other 'negatives' & clean items.

Brittle, Imbued, Clean.  - no difference between any of these as far as durability loss... except clean normally means PoF is applicable.

125 str/50 stones -I don't know about these two...,  these items are weaker than imbued in almost every single situation... so I've never considered equipping one lol.  50 stones is actually a real negative

ICQ# 478 633 659
    Mervyn said:
    Bows are not armour. I said armour.

An acknowledgement of durability loss is all I am after. Thanks 
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

There is a trash bin you can place yours in if you feel this way.  Don't change my gameplay when you can change yours without affecting me.

Last I checked, I was not in a position to change your gameplay. Merely stating my opinion.

If I did have the position to change, I think a more bountiful spawn of legendary armor and jewels with lower durability would tend to keep interest going.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

If I did have the position to change, I think a more bountiful spawn of legendary armor and jewels with lower durability would tend to keep interest going.

I know a lot of players believe this, I personally really don't. It's already dire in my opinion.

Last thing I want is to spend my entire game time repairing or switching over ill fitting badly suited armour parts.

Far as I am concerned, you can keep your game style,  but please buff my game style to be more competitive in today's game. I'm about to trash all my legendary gears to go back to greater reforged I'm so tired of it all. I don't care if this renders me unable to pvp or pvm, I'll just become a hermit in Felucca. I'd like greater reforged to be buffed and for crafting to have full property options and greater control, less random.
    Cookie said:

I know a lot of players believe this, I personally really don't. It's already dire in my opinion.

Last thing I want is to spend my entire game time repairing or switching over ill fitting badly suited armour parts.

Far as I am concerned, you can keep your game style,  but please buff my game style to be more competitive in today's game. I'm about to trash all my legendary gears to go back to greater reforged I'm so tired of it all. I don't care if this renders me unable to pvp or pvm, I'll just become a hermit in Felucca. I'd like greater reforged to be buffed and for crafting to have full property options and greater control, less random.

Understood. I don't think this artifact loot system was meant to be forever pieces though. I certainly don't think or hope they wouldn't think it's ok for certain pieces to sell in the hundreds of mil area.

I never liked this loot system to begin with. But it's here and should be more easily available to everyone and not sitting on auction blocks for insane prices.

Send your ideas in for that crafting revamp though. We need something.