Heavy handed moderation of this forum

Am I the only that feels the moderators are a bit heavy-handed?   Also am I the only that feels the moderators should be more communicative, and transparent.   They should have to tell you why for every post they delete, instead of blanket deletion and one message regarding one post.  Also they should be require to answer inbox messages as well. I would just like to see more communication from the Mods.  It sure looks like crap to returning players when 3/4 of the discussions have been closed by the moderators. 

Comments

• KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    Is their forum, they can do as they like.
    Take a look at the Blizzard official forums sometime - periodically there is a lock/ban fest there.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    I feel like in a lot of cases, the reasoning post is enough. Use common sense. If you're ranting and raving, or hurling insults, or otherwise acting like a petulant child, then chances are your post may be deleted or your thread locked.

If a thread gets seriously out of hand before they can intervene, they shouldn't have to make 50 posts to justify cleaning the thread up.

In the end, if people moderated themselves better, there probably wouldn't be so many closed threads.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    I've had forum and private messages. If you come at them like you would your boss they're extremely nice and responsive. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited May 2019
    The mods here are way more easy here then Stratics has been this last couple of years.  I have said way worse here and got some PM and I know for a fact it took a lot for @Mervyn to get banned.  Currently I am on a Stratics ban for personal attacks for calling out a proven cheater/liar by the picks they post, go figure.

The MODs here bend over backwards to help the player base find info on a daily bases and when corrected they admit the mistake and fix it  ASAP, something that has fallen on the way side in other places not to be mentioned.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,834
    The Mods here let some things go and give you enough chances to self correct before hitting you hard with the ban stick. They also try to see how a post is going to play out before getting involved. But there are some topics they have to jump on immediately and they do so with style and a level head imho. This isn’t their first Rodeo. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I only have a problem when one of them comments on a thread unnecessarily while inserting negativity, and then they lock it later because it became negative. Counter-productive. 
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited May 2019
    One thing that people need to understand is that MODs are players also and when they do post it is always highlighted with a MOD Title, it might be nice if the could toggle between player (no high light or MOD Title) or as a MOD.  They have the same right as any player but when posting a player opinion they may need to say this is their opinion or not be high lighted.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,975Moderator
    @Bilbo I try very hard NOT to post opinions, only information. Any post I make that is not directly related to moderation I post as editor of the wiki and would usually contain links to, or quotes from, one of the wiki pages.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Haven't noticed any heavy moderation here.  In fact, it seems they let some people run too long before getting involved.
  • NonelNonel Posts: 26
    I don't think that the mods are too heavy handed. But, perhaps a bit too quick to lock threads. I don't see a point in locking a thread, just because it has gone beyond the scope of its original purpose, when the posters are having a decent conversation still.

Also, while this may exist on other forums, I never agree with the editing of posts. Delete the post or not. Never edit someones words and then leave it up as if they posted it that way. The little "post edited by xxxx" at the bottom doesn't cut it.

Nevertheless, at least you're able to have a thread like this. I know I was once given points by Rico at Stratics for "Questioning a moderator's actions".....
    @Nonel We will never edit a post to 'put words into someone's mouth', however if a poster has used unacceptable language, or posted an inappropriate link, but the rest of the post is valid to the context of the thread should we remove the entire thing? or just replace the offending word with asterisks and remove the inappropriate link, leaving whatever the poster wanted to say intact?  That is the only kind of editing we do.
  • NonelNonel Posts: 26
    Mariah, the asterisk replacement would seem like a step in the right direction. I thought I remembered an edited post where the part that was edited did not seem evident. I went back and found the post and did indeed find a few asterisks that must have replaced a curse. My mistake
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    As far as locking threads that have served purpose, I agree. Keeping a thread open filled with hopes, dreams and imagination takes focus away from actual work. 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Statements like "I think this thread has reached its limit", "I think this discussion has run it's course", "I think this thread has run long enough", "I am going to lock this thread. I do not want it to turn into something it is not.", "I think this has gone on long enough," "This thread has run its course.", "I think this has gone as far as it can go", "This thread is trending in an unnecessarily negative manner", are the OPINIONS of the moderators, and as such, are NOT valid reasons to lock a thread. I am NOT saying some threads don't need to be locked, but, they should be locked because they BROKE A RULE, not just because has an opinion that it should be. Or because someone got their feelings hurt. REMEMBER: "I" statements=opinions.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    KHAN said:
    Statements like "I think this thread has reached its limit", "I think this discussion has run it's course", "I think this thread has run long enough", "I am going to lock this thread. I do not want it to turn into something it is not.", "I think this has gone on long enough," "This thread has run its course.", "I think this has gone as far as it can go", "This thread is trending in an unnecessarily negative manner", are the OPINIONS of the moderators, and as such, are NOT valid reasons to lock a thread. I am NOT saying some threads don't need to be locked, but, they should be locked because they BROKE A RULE, not just because has an opinion that it should be. Or because someone got their feelings hurt. REMEMBER: "I" statements=opinions.
    — A thread I started was locked just yesterday or the day before because commenters took the original idea and turned it into some kind of rant fest completely separate from the meaning of my original post. I had even tried to moderate the comments on my own by reminding people that personal grievances about a real world issue had no place in that thread or on this forum.

I am grateful @Mariah locked the thread because of where the commenters were taking it. And her statement of “I think this thread has run its course” was factual, not opinion.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
    I think this thread has about run it's course, and has gone as far as it can go.  <span>:pensive:</span>

IBTL?
    Actually Jennifer-Marie your thread was closed by Rorschach. He and I work together as closely as we can to try to provide a consistent moderation at all times.
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    I feel that actually the mod's have been quite fair and at times too much hands off.  This is not the rant and rave of Stratics  but for honest questions, requests, and the occasional bug reporting that people have to ask if they were seeing it right...  Both Mariah and Rorschach have been fair and honest in their moderation of this site.  
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    Mariah said:
    Actually Jennifer-Marie your thread was closed by Rorschach. He and I work together as closely as we can to try to provide a consistent moderation at all times.
    — You are correct. I see your name more often than @Rorschach so my brain just defaulted. :)

Either way, I’m still grateful that thread was closed. :smiley:
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    :)
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited May 2019
    @JenniferMarie I'm not saying it shouldn't have been locked, I'm just saying the REASON it was locked wasn't valid. Moderator OPINIONS are NOT valid reasons to lock a thread.

Example:

Opinion- I think this thread has run it's course. NOT VALID

Fact-"This thread is being locked because XXXXX broke rule # (whatever)", or "subject matter discussion is against the UO ToS", or "Thread is being locked because of constant trolling of posters". VALID 

See the difference between the VALID reasons, and "I think this has gone on long enough".  ;)

If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Mariah said:
    @ Nonel We will never edit a post to 'put words into someone's mouth', however if a poster has used unacceptable language, or posted an inappropriate link, but the rest of the post is valid to the context of the thread should we remove the entire thing? or just replace the offending word with asterisks and remove the inappropriate link, leaving whatever the poster wanted to say intact?  That is the only kind of editing we do.

I like this! 

And yall are way too soft.  I like the statements at the bottom of closed posts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    People, just a couple of kind reminders (that, I suppose, will be moderated FTL... ;) ) for both sides of the ideological "spectrum": THIS is the World we live on (Digital or otherwise), so don't crucify (oops, involoutary "religious" reference...  :D ) our Moderators with too many nails.

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,794
    If we could only get moderators in general chat on Atlantic.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    KHAN said:
    Feeling the same, but whatever... Some places have quality mods, some don't.. I think this discussion has run it's course ;)
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    The old forums when UO was rolling in cash was MUCH tougher. AND if you got banned in the forum your game account could take a hit too. Anyone engaging their brain before their typing fingers shouldn't have a problem. I've gotten a PM or 2 when I had my tiptoes on the line and I appreciate them going the extra mile. But I use to get really fired up about UO. I guess I've mellowed. Kinda miss that passion a little bit lol. When I see someone on a real rant it reminds me of me back in the day.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    TimSt said:
    You don't need moderators, you need adults that actually know how to be adults, and parents that monitor their kids online activity.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Most of the really unpleasant people are not actually children, a lot of the youngest players are better behaved....of course there are exceptions! :-P
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    TimSt said:
    You don't need moderators, you need adults that actually know how to be adults, and parents that monitor their kids online activity.
    M'kay, very realistic. I Can Has Cheezburger too? :/

I think most of what we see on Atlantic in chat is people who have no respect for themselves or anyone else.  And the majority are not kids, sadly enough.