Why do impassable objects exist?

LynkLynk Posts: 185
Is there any reason?  One of the oldest tricks is to use crates or other items that players cant move through to trap people in 1 tile drop in chokes.  It is against the TOS but by the time you page amd a gm comes it's been moved.

Wouldnt a simpler solution just be to have all items be passable?  What is the purpose of having any impassable aside from people using it to block spawn while farming or trap players with no escape route (both against tos btw)

Comments

• LynkLynk Posts: 185
    To expand on this, my recommendation is that anything that can be carried or moved by a player should be passable.  Think of how many GM paging issues will just disappear.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited April 2019
    Just a guess but I take it from the post, the vast majority of ur UO experience is PvP?

Most players involved in other aspects of UO would prob not agree. Much of these non-passable objects r used heavily in home deco for specific effects that incorporate a multitude of desired results.

I do agree w/ ur assessment of their use in PvP (Star room teleporter choke esp.) combine w/ poor GM response makes it incredibly frustrating. It’s a long-standing problem w/ no easy solution.
  • Acid_Rain said:
    It’s a long-standing problem w/ no easy solution.
    Make objects only impassable when locked down or secured?
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Acid_Rain said:
    It’s a long-standing problem w/ no easy solution.
    +100
  • PaithanPaithan Posts: 120
    Acid_Rain said:
    Just a guess but I take it from the post, the vast majority of ur UO experience is PvP?

Most players involved in other aspects of UO would prob not agree. Much of these non-passable objects r used heavily in home deco for specific effects that incorporate a multitude of desired results.

I do agree w/ ur assessment of their use in PvP (Star room teleporter choke esp.) combine w/ poor GM response makes it incredibly frustrating. It’s a long-standing problem w/ no easy solution.
    Sounds like he gave a pretty easy solution to me. Lol
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    WornOutYourTool said:

In theory, sounds easy. Implementation prob not so easy. There’s also many other factors we players wouldn’t normally consider. Such as events where items are placed to restrict movement, ie barriers to block specific areas until conditions are met, just to name one.

I’m sure there are many situations outside of player homes that we players don’t recognize but EMs or DEVs are well aware. I’m just saying, it’s prob not as easy as flipping a passable/non-passable switch.
  • CadyCady Posts: 21
    edited April 2019
    I’m just saying, it’s prob not as easy as flipping a passable/non-passable switch.
    Prob is though, maybe gotta add a field to some database.  Otherwise, if locked down - impassable, if not locked down - passable.  That’s me with just about zero programming knowledge though.  FWIW, I’m all for impassable objects!  Sometimes you get screwed by walking or teleporting into player set traps, but I think that’s part of the fun of UO :/ I’d say precasting teleport works in most cases, but line of sight is **** in this game in a lot of places and sometimes you’re just not expecting it, part of the fun!

[edited by Rorschach for language]
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    LOL the star room has a way out, that's why it isn't illegal.  You can still use the gate to leave.  How is it any different then using wall scripts to kill people.   Thread is hilarious and a waste of devs time.
  • NonelNonel Posts: 26
    No worry, Higgs. I'm sure Mariah will be in soon to lock the thread. Because it served its purpose. Or has gone on long enough. They have very limited storage for posts, you know.

Since factions are gone and VvV towns are only active for 20 minutes, I can't think of a reason not to change these items. Unless it is a coding issue, of course. I believe the impassibility of guardian scripted items (that EMs often use to make walls) is unrelated to the impassibility of things like bagballs. Though, I could be wrong.
    Perhaps I should demonstrate why this is an issue for the trammel crowd.  If enough of them get on board maybe we will see movement here.
  • afraid that might be the way to go :-/
    what's even more annoying is the inconsistencies with for example plants being passable and sometimes impassable (causing rubberbanding effect). I never understood why it had to be this way and it is really annoying when suddently you get stopped by a bush or cactus you can usually run through...
  • TempestTempest Posts: 22
    Let's see why it's an issue.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Lynk said:
    Perhaps I should demonstrate why this is an issue for the trammel crowd.  If enough of them get on board maybe we will see movement here.
    What you don't think the Trammel Crowd is smart enough to understand that yes this is a problem.  Unlike Fel sadly these are the only things that we have to block scripters recall spots unless we want our Dragon to go wild for some reason, LOL.
    Bilbo said:
    Lynk said:
    What you don't think the Trammel Crowd is smart enough to understand that yes this is a problem.  Unlike Fel sadly these are the only things that we have to block scripters recall spots unless we want our Dragon to go wild for some reason, LOL.
    Oh I think they know its a potential problem but havent personally felt any pain from it because no one has felt compelled to spend the time.  Luckily I know a few people with plenty of time on their hands who would also like this change.  
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some posts have been removed for topicality issues. Please stay on the original topic.