Having trouble connecting all of a suddon

2»

Comments

• NathicsNathics Posts: 17
    I'm in Australia
  • Nathics said:
    I'm in Australia
    Seems like you wouldn’t have any issues with oceanic then. Have you tried other shards to see if you have the same log in freeze
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• NathicsNathics Posts: 17
    Yeah, doesn't seem to matter what shard. Most of the time I don't even successfully log in.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    do you have a bandwidth restriction with your internet provider.
    Is it during a certain time a day this happens?
    Is it just UO that it happens?
    Is any other internet functions/sites affected?
    Have you cleaned out your cookies?
    as a practice if I have used the internet for any amount of time I always clean out my system before running UO just out of habit from using older computer systems and even with a dual quad system, yes 8 cpus running at once, it still helps.
  • Best bet to see if it's internet related is to open up command prompt and run a tracert to the servers IP address.
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Bilbo said:
    as a practice if I have used the internet for any amount of time I always clean out my system before running UO just out of habit from using older computer systems and even with a dual quad system, yes 8 cpus running at once, it still helps.
    How do we go about "cleaning out our system?"

I have spent the better part of 2 months now myself learning (relearning as every windows is different *sigh*) about the junk that runs in the background. Windows 10 has so many background processes running that are useless to me. Cortana, telemetry stuff, start menu tiles. Tons of little things eat away at my bandwidths.

The biggest thing I did recently was find a program that is free and checks and downloads and lets me update my drivers  (free - only allows one update at a time) and that really helped it seemed.  A quick search for "Driver Easy" will lead you to it. The built in driver updater found nothing for the 19 the program showed updated for. One was my network card.

I use Glary Ulitilites.  Its free and there is a one click maintenance that clears out cookies, temp files and your memory
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Bilbo said:
    I use Glary Ulitilites.  Its free and there is a one click maintenance that clears out cookies, temp files and your memory

Nice!
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Bilbo said:
    I will have to look that up. Does it interact well with Microsoft? I believe this is the last year that Microsoft will be providing updates and other services for Windows 7. I guess I may have to look into upgrading or getting a new system.
    edited April 2019
    I have never had a problem with using it.
    https://www.glarysoft.com/?src=10002&id=1&v=5.117.0.142
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited April 2019
    My only experience was this. My internet was fine with everything but UO. Everything else worked great. Was having connection issues with UO like crazy. Was super ticked off with UO. I tried everything and finally had Comcast (cable) come out and check my service. When they disconnected my drop outside water started running out of the cable and that went on for a long time. So they installed a new drop and everything was excellent after that. The only thing that tipped me off was every now and then I'd get a bad packet loss spike but I really had to watch for it. It wasn't all the time. Only seemed to bother UO.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Arron said:
    Bilbo said:
    I will have to look that up. Does it interact well with Microsoft? I believe this is the last year that Microsoft will be providing updates and other services for Windows 7. I guess I may have to look into upgrading or getting a new system.

There are people I know using operating systems much older than Windows 7 playing UO. The wife bought McAfee and is going to ride Windows 7 till the computer explodes. She figures as long as she doesn't get a virus, and the computer does what she wants, she isn't going to worry about it.

• Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited April 2019
    Oh, do you have a cat? Do you want one? lol My monitor went out and so I bought a new one. When the new one didn't work I started checking everything. Seems the cat had been using the monitor cable as a chew toy. Another time I was having issues in general I started checking everything. The cable connection from the router was so loose the cable almost fell off. I guess moving it around to dust was enough to loosen it up and I never noticed. Or it could have been the cat again? I need to watch him.