An Unintended Consequence of EJ ...?

So ... out of curiosity ... did anyone on the Dev team consider, when they thought up the idea of free-to-play accounts, that it gives harassers an infinite arsenal with which to harass a shard?

Great Lakes, specifically, is dealing with this problem currently.

The person even announced in Gen Chat that he was going to keep creating EJ accounts for the sole purpose of harassing Great Lakes. He has been reported on literally countless times by multiple people over the past two months and still he logs in - with a new Chat ID almost every time.

He's not merely annoying or trollish, but shares Real Life information about other players in game. He has created characters with other players' Real Life names. He has made threats towards people about RL things.

When - or perhaps more importantly HOW - is someone going to do something about this? Every single player on the shard can ignore him, but he can just create a new EJ account and then our ignore lists are just filled with his accounts.

It's not like this guy is quiet about it, either. Every. Single. Time. he logs in, he makes it his purpose to be as disruptive as he can.

So again, at what point does this become a problem or issue that the Devs finally take action against?

~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]

Comments

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    How did they get people's real life names in the first place to troll with?!

Don't forget it's only the internet and only a video game. People will troll and sadly there is not much one can do apart from have thick skin and ignore it.

I'm sure if they dev team wanted to they could ban their IP address and thus banning all new accounts they create and use. I don't know why they didn't do this with that "avatar" gold seller in general chat. Sure, they could use a VPN to bypass this but at least it would be a start to stop this kind of behaviour.
  • — To the first, that’s between them and the people whose RL information they’ve been sharing and not for me to comment on.

To the third, I would bet that the website behind Avatar has more than one person using that name to spread their website information in game so banning one IP address wouldn’t solve that problem.

And to the second, I understand trolls will be trolls. But this has gone so far beyond trolling and this person has violated the game’s Terms of Service so many times that SOMETHING needs to be done.

Hence, my post on the forums.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited April 2019
    So the char follows you around? Or do you mean he talks in General Chat?

Didn’t they make it so EJ can’t login to general chat?

i don’t login to general chat.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    edited April 2019
    @Mervyn- The harassment isn't directed specifically and solely to me. It's to the entire shard.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited April 2019
    So they've specifically allowed EJ users to use General Chat,

Sounds a bit fishy to me,

Some conspiracy theorists might conclude there is some sort of financial relationship with RMT sites. I think your concerns are perfectly valid Jennifer and they should put a stop to allowing EJ accounts access to writing in General Chat (shouldn't restrict reading though)
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• — Well, I paged on the guy again last night. I’m averaging at least one page every time he logs in.

It’s past the point of ridiculousness.

I’m sick and tired of paging on the guy. He purposefully says things to rile everyone up and then plays a victim, claiming he and his wife (who also plays, and is by no means innocent herself) are victims of bullying.

Seriously, at what point does someone in charge take action?

An online video game is supposed to be an environment where people can have fun, join a community that is supportive in that endeavor, and costs money for the majority of us.

I, myself, have four accounts. I’m near the point of cancelling all four subscriptions. If I wanted to be harassed and annoyed so heartlessly, I’d go to school with my kids and deal with justifiable immaturity.

@Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna @Mesanna1
    ~ Jennifer-Marie