Why is macing seemly non-existent in pvp, or anywhere?

I just don't see ppl prefering to use them, there must be some practical issues with using macing vs swords. In fact swords seems to dominate.

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    edited March 2019

Here are a few reasons:

Bokuto is a swords weapon.

You cannot evade using Use Best Wep skill.

There are no maces that provide use of the poisoning skill.

Swords weapons are generally faster and require less stamina.

The combination of specials aren't as good in macing weps as can be found in swords/fencing.

Did I mention macing weps are slow?

Macing used to be decent when it would deplete stamina but with EP and no timer on stamina potions, macing weapons are just slow and useless.

• crunchnastycrunchnasty Posts: 241
    @Kyronix @Bleak - does this seem like a worthy issue to address? Macing is 'slow and useless' compared to everything else. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Mace weapons also deduct double dura from opponent’s armour. I don’t think anything needs to be changed. The ubws not working for evade i think is a bug and has been reported.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    Mace weapons also deduct double dura from opponent’s armour. I don’t think anything needs to be changed. The ubws not working for evade i think is a bug and has been reported.

I also agree nothing needs changing. To keep in the realistic relm of weaponry, there's just not much else you can do to the macing line of blunt objects.

I thought evasion was nerfed at some point to require actual skill?  

so basically macing is doomed to be inferior?
    so basically macing is doomed to be inferior?

Macing had the ability to break armor pre AoS and shined until after AoS with the necro macer. It was then nerfed paving the way for other weapon skills to shine.

Just like all things UO, we just have to wait until it circles back.

If you were interested in macing, it can still be effective. It just takes a little more adjusting your suit stats to make it work.

Ya i always liked blunt force weapons... hopefully they will at least make it on par with other weps soon @Kyronix
  • LynkLynk Posts: 185
    Where are you pvping?  Macing is very popular.  Glenda.  Hammer pick is the only wep with mortal AI combo.  Mace has disarm conc.  

From a gargoyle perspective disc mace is the only 1 handed wep with disarm and AI as the combo.  
    I'm not pvping atm tbh, just observing others playing on ATL. I've seen maybe one macing tank mage who does well. But not much else. But encouraging that you say its useful. I like maces from when i played back in the day.
    what is Glenda?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    what is Glenda?
    Glenda is one of the newer Doom artifacts, a club. Full details here:

• hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    macing is in no way inferior some of the best pvpers in this game are macers 
    is there other maces with bone breaker? Or is Glenda the only one?
    hunter11 said:
    macing is in no way inferior some of the best pvpers in this game are macers 

My apologies. It's truly been a while since I've seen one. Most are mages or some form of bokuto.
    ^^^^ Thank you, I thought the same thing ^^^^ @Urge - To my knowledge NOBODY thats serious is using macing vs a bokuto mage or parry mage
    ^^^^ Thank you, I thought the same thing ^^^^ @ Urge - To my knowledge NOBODY thats serious is using macing vs a bokuto mage or parry mage
    I do a lot of VvV towns and I haven't seen any macers since Glenda was nerfed. 
  • PaithanPaithan Posts: 120
    There are a lot of people that use macing just for the glenda.  Not sure what you are talkin about.
  • Urge said:

Macing used to be decent when it would deplete stamina but with EP and no timer on stamina potions, macing weapons are just slow and useless.

This a million times, stamina is essentialy a non-resource.  It can be basically indefinately replenished on a whim, making the mace stam drain, hit fatigue and the plate stam loss reduction useless in this situation.

Im really surprise more people dont see this as an obvious issue.
    seems like a valid point @WornOutYourTool
    edited March 2019
    @paithan but was glenda nerfed? On ATL its a rarity to see a macer, and if you do, they don't win battles
    Paithan said:
    There are a lot of people that use macing just for the glenda.  Not sure what you are talkin about.

I'm not trying to dispute that you see a lot of them or maybe you see them often. I've collected a lot of points doing VvV towns and I personally have not seen anyone holding a Glenda or any macing weapon in a long long time.

I've done possibly 25 towns this week and I've only seen mages and bokuto dexers with an archer here or there.  

This is what im saying too... i hang out at yew gate where the remainder of PvP happens. NOBODY is using a macer. Hell, you'll barely see a stealth archer, but its just a gimmicky template at this point
    edited March 2019
    Maybe you just dont know what glendas look like, because they are very popular.  Every active evening guild has at least 3 people who main or whos secondary char uses Glenda.  It was nerfed but it's still the only wep you can hit for 35 dmg with a spell cursor up.  also the stamina drain is sometimes more effective than splinter, though impossible to notice when it procs.
  • Lynk said:
    ...  also the stamina drain is sometimes more effective than splinter, though impossible to notice when it procs.
    Depends on the target. Sometimes it's awesome, other times they summon all the might of Skynet to chug those refresh.  

Anywho back to the actual thread question, Id also like to toss in a lot of people don't know where to go when starting out and the cookie cutter answer most people seem to give is "go swords or gtfo" even if they have no clue about mace.

Since mace isn't popular, less people loot/craft mace specific stuff maybe making it less attractive to the on looker.

2cents~
    SO basically if youre not using glenda its pointless?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    The Beserker’s Maul 
    Double StrikeConcussion Blow
    Artifact Rarity 11
    Swing Speed Increase 75%
    Damage Increase 50%
    Physical Damage 100%
    Weapon Damage 14-18
    Weapon Speed 3.5
    Strength Requirement 45
    One-Handed Weapon
    Weapon Skill: Mace Fighting
    Durability 255

Glenda 
    Crushing BlowDismount
    Bone Breaker
    Hit Mana Leech 20%
    Hit Lower Defense 70%
    Strength Bonus 16
    Damage Increase 100%
    Physical Damage 100%
    Weapon Damage 10 – 14
    Weapon Speed 2.5s
    Strenth Requirement 40
    One-Handed Weapon
    Weapon Skill: Mace Fighting
    Durability 255
    Lynk said:
    ...  also the stamina drain is sometimes more effective than splinter, though impossible to notice when it procs.
    Depends on the target. Sometimes it's awesome, other times they summon all the might of Skynet to chug those refresh.  
    You cant chug refrwsh while under the effect of bone breaker.
    Lynk said:
    Lynk said:
    You cant chug refrwsh while under the effect of bone breaker.
    There is only one weapon in the entire game that offers the bone breaker mod correct? Glenda?
  • hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    i find it hard to believe you dont see many macers around if youre on atl in yew im sure you see me Hunter a mace archer most days or evenings 
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    hunter11 said:
    i find it hard to believe you dont see many macers around if youre on atl in yew im sure you see me Hunter a mace archer most days or evenings 
    You have 2 weapon skills?