Anyone have info about the new Whip?

Just curious if at all possible it will be available for crafting.

I could see using this on my Paladin and turning her into a more super-tanky template with a strong AoE.  Even though it's good, I'd prefer to drop Bushido and move Spellweaving into it's place.

The whip would make life pretty easier and more interesting since it's one-handed.  

If it's not craftable, I suppose it will be imbue-able.  But hell, I'd reckon I'd have to farm a crap-ton.

Anyone else thinking of fitting it into their temp?  It may not be meta, but it's cool and different.
Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Tagged:

Comments

• OkamiOkami Posts: 61
    They will not craftable at this time. Are exceptional and able to be imbued. There's a "release plan" for them, so they will drop first from the event.

Then I'm concerned they'll be store items, but eh.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    They are not exceptional at the moment.  Unless something has changed.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited November 2018
    Since Okami mentioned a few things (thanks very much), I went and did a little more digging through the site here for a while.

Lo and behold, I found it:

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-103/

• Whips are now insurable and exceptional.

So I'm going to assume they drop as exceptional which will be super-awesome.  I'll speculate that maybe the store will sell the receipe at some point?

Please don't let it be 16$ haha!

Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
    Nice!  Lots of other good info on that page.  I did not see it until now.  

Thanks
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited November 2018
    Recipes for crafted weps & armor sold in the store, otherwise unobtainable, is a bad idea. Paves the way for pay to win.

Its always been new expansion did this. U have to purchase them to stay relevant in the game & they cost more than a store bought trinkets.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    Yeah adding the recipe to the store is a really horrible idea. I don't mind vanity items in the store, but not things like the whip which affect actual gameplay.
  • Wait a minute, i thought that Krampus was going to drop the Recipes for the Whips. If he just drops the Whip itself, that's going to suck. No reforging for 100% Elemental Whips to imbue Slayers onto then...
    They can be reforged.  Unless they changed that.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The publish notes state:
    Whip – new weapon available across the following weapon skills with the associated special moves.
    • Bladed Whip
      • Swordsmanship
      • Bleed & Whirlwind
    • Spiked Whip
      • Fencing
      • Armor Pierce & Whirlwind
    • Barbed Whip
      • Mace Fighting
      • Concussion & Whirlwind
    • Weapon Speed: 3.25
    • Damage: 13-17
    • Range: 1
    • One Handed
    • Repairable via Tinkering
    • Can be imbued and reforged
    • Can be equipped by all races
    • Can be dyed with a leather dye tub

• Pawain said:
    They can be reforged.  Unless they changed that.
    Yeah, but if Krampus only drops the Whip and not the Recipe, then you're going to have to do a whole lot of Krampus because you'll be blowing through Whips when trying to reforge for 100% Element.
    Yup.  We will have to get a bunch of them. I'm sure we both will do just that.

But Since I have a macer I am glad it is one hand and does WW.  Too bad it is not WW and AI.  

Also hope they will still do more things for them later like they said.  Only fair since we got the spell books on the Anniversary arc.  Still using my 50 and 30 slayers.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    edited December 2018
    Reforging would be out of the question if it's not craft-able or very easy to obtain... too many chances to get royally screwed with random properties via reforging that'll ruin the majority of them for any potential user.

I find it a bit upsetting that the clothing drops are recipes (Non-combat items - aka collector items), yet the whips will be used in combat where it'll break eventually.   If History is any indicator, There's a high chance it's not going to be replaceable via a method that players would find as reasonable.   Seems completely backwards to me, but we'll see how it goes.

It's good to see the Devs removed T-maps as a potential pack drop from Krampus.
    The 3 times I killed Krampus on TC1 all I got were T-maps each time... now I'll get something else everytime I guess, hopefully it'll be something I actually want.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Pawain said:

Too bad it is not WW and AI.  

Yea... let’s put arguably the two strongest PvM specials in the game on the one wep that’s not craftable. Brilliant.

Sorry but I almost choked on my coffee reading that lol.
    Acid_Rain said:
    Pawain said:

Too bad it is not WW and AI.  

Yea... let’s put arguably the two strongest PvM specials in the game on the one wep that’s not craftable. Brilliant.

Sorry but I almost choked on my coffee reading that lol.
    This has already happened.

Craft me a 50 SDI Spellbook or a 30 SDI slayer.

But sometimes double strike is better.  

Give them WW and a random second!  
  • Pawain said:

Give them WW and a random second!  

or they could just allow you to use any special regardless of the weapon.

Melee only specials
    Ranged only specials
    Melee + Bushido or Ninjitsu
    Ranged + Bushido or Ninjitsu

1) It'll make weapon users less predictable (pvp) - (there would have to be something to prevent mages from gaining from it though, they don't need something like this)

2) It'll give pvmers the option to carry fewer weapons, instead of one AI/dbl strike  & one WW weapon of each slayer, they would only need one of each slayer.

Then you could use which ever weapon(s) you wanted and still have useful special attacks available to you.

tbh, the random special idea could be interesting, but damn it'll be such a massive grind crafting weapons until you get the right combination of specials before you even know whether or not it's worth reforging, then another pain in the ass reforging for elemental damage types on top of it. it's a grind I'm not willing to go through.

I would assume the whip weapons would become a recipe* and be available via tinkering bods (since they're repaired via tinkering) after the event ends... *or I should hope. 

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited December 2018
    Pawain said:

This has already happened.

Craft me a 50 SDI Spellbook or a 30 SDI slayer.
    Apples to Oranges bro. No mage is ever swinging his spellbook at the 1.25 swing speed cap for heavy damage.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Killed at least 5-6 Krampus using my Sampire with Honor and done at least 3 runs with each kill. Only thing I got was a golden branch in a purse bag. And everytime I get purse bag with nothing other than some pathetic jewels and puny gold. Horrible ROI.

Anyway for the whip, i think it should have range 2 or 3, short ranged. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited December 2018
    Pawain said:
    Yup.  We will have to get a bunch of them. I'm sure we both will do just that.

But Since I have a macer I am glad it is one hand and does WW.  Too bad it is not WW and AI. 
    Yeah, i use a Chiv Macer (no Bush or Necro) for farming Blackthorn's Captains, and because he uses a Shield for Parry, a 1H WW wep would be awesome for clearing out the initial spawn near the Captain.
    In fact, i had recommended a long time ago that they introduce a 1H Flail wep for Macing with WW+Concussion Blow or Crushing Blow (assuming they ever fix/revamp Crushing Blow). Before the new Whips, only Swords had a 1H WW wep, and that was the Radiant Scimitar with WW+Bladeweave (which is basically a random special).

Still wish we got the Recipe for whips instead of the whip itself though. Wouldn't mind crafting a set of Barbed Whips that are 100% Fire Undead Slayer, 100% Fire Arachnid Slayer, 100% Fire Repond Slayer, 100% Fire Fey Slayer, 100% Cold Reptile Slayer, and 100% Energy Demon Slayer.

Been wanting a 1H WW Macing wep to pair with this shield though...

I have 1 mace and 1 fencing whip so far.  Not looking good for getting a bunch of them.

I like the 1 hand so I can drink Pots.  Have bushido so I dont use a shield.
  • Looks like there's elemental versions of the Whips with different names. I just found a "Cool Whip" for sale for 40 Mill, and it does 100% Cold Damage. It's basically a Cold Damage Barbed Whip.