Web UO, dont fall into the freeshard problem

psychopsycho Posts: 313
edited October 13 in General Discussions

There is a wish for certain people to drag more people into freeshards, and by doing that its on the cost of official UO. Freeshards are well, free,  official UO cost money. In some cases even freeshards have more players than official UO. In this way official UO is losing. So if you want to win then remove the alternative freeshards.

If you want UO to continue for the next 27 years you gotta make a stand.
Also people are not comfortable logging into UO through a disco server.
If you want web UO (ClassicUO) to truly be a success then:

1: Host it on UO.com domains
2: Remove the bit were you need to log onto a disco to play UO
3: Remove the freeshard links
4: Make a downloadable version of ClassicUO through the UO.com secure domain.

And only then you have secured the finance for official UO, hopefully for the next 27 years.

Together we make the game greater!

Comments

• KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 258
    edited October 13
    The argument I had before coming back in june was.. on the official server u pay a fee but u have GM to keep the game clean... How wrong was I; under Boardsword management.
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
  • Classic UO exists because of freeshards. The freeshard community has been supporting the development of both the CUO web and desktop clients for years. Freeshards will exist for the next 27 years with or without Broadsword. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 4,036
    This is entirely a BS or really Mesanna problem who made the choice to ignore freeshards and use them as an excuse to ignore stratics because of anger now there's this big elephant in the room and no one knows what to do with it 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,464
  • Some years ago, I did some research on the free shards. Among other things I discovered every reason to believe that folks on the boards (back then it was Stratics only) were exaggerating, or were misinformed, about the numbers on free shards. I never posted my results because I realized how little facts would matter to the discussions underway back then. So, when I read now about how free shards have more players than the paid version? I have some reason to have my doubts.
  • There's always one big freeshard going around, and then it implodes after a while, couple years maybe, and everyone who's into that ends up somewhere else. Repeat ad infinitum.
  • ArmyArmy Posts: 23
    There's always one big freeshard going around, and then it implodes after a while, couple years maybe, and everyone who's into that ends up somewhere else. Repeat ad infinitum.
    We are chasing the Ultima dragon if you will…
  • psychopsycho Posts: 313
    edited October 14
    That is why we need the official servers, stable and always on, going for 27years.

No matter what era you played you will still have your chars and items.
    Secure servers, stable connection, dedicated devs that get paid for doing this.

The product can be evolved and improved, now with this new client  (that should be hosted on uo.com to be secure and safe for people to log in)  Its a huge booster to potential customers.

Its not perfect, but its open for improvements.  Alot of the freeshards has some weird addons and alot of fake players like NPCs or running multiple clients just to have higher numbers.

Official UO is different, and it has alot of paying customers, even if you dont see them you can see the houses around on different shards, remember 1 house pr account, now thats alot of accounts.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 4,036
    Fre shards are like kissing your cousin...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • EosforosEosforos Posts: 3
    It's been a while since you were chasing Jerry in yew Psycho. Funnily enough the 2d client since then, it's exactly the fucking same. The problem is nobody asked for this web client , what we asked was quality of life improvements in 2D, game bugs for items people paid real cash for the transmog potions and yet couldn't , small things like that, that went on and on. Like if you remove the whole sentiment out of it , you will see how bad investment this has turned out to be. It buffles my mind how UO Fanbase has coded better solutions than the official team that is running the product. If EA asked that fanbase to improve game on voluntary basis, said fanbase would do more work in a year what broadsword has done the last 10. Change my mind.