Text size in EC

@Kyronix Can you make that magnifying function work on the dialogue boxes so I can make the text bigger?
On a big screen in EC, I have to lean forward to read it every time, and that gets very tiring.

Comments

• looploop Posts: 374
    edited August 12
    +1 The gumps are hard to read. They've always been a bit difficult in the EC. Gumps are handled differently than EC's custom windows and are limited in their ability to scale.

Generic Gumps use UO_CondensedText_15pt. They're more readable with UO_DefaultText.

Updating the XML is trivial but will affect all gumps unless you apply logic per gump id.

1st is current text. 2nd is with local edits. The difference is night and day in terms of readability, in my opinion.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,376
    Yes, this is a game breaker problem with EC.  I can see the display from the quest menu above ok on my computer.  But the white text on the blue background from icon that provides the quests, and on the black background from the guildmaster is nearly impossible for me to read.  Think the font choice was a very poor one.  There must be better fonts than what UO. Is using.  Think they picked the font they are using because it has a gothic look to it.  With or without my glasses it is exceptionally difficult to read. The other graphics, houses, trees, etc., look to have about the same sharpness as the production shards and I have no problem seeing objects.  Think the problem is that the white text has soft edges that gradually blends into the blue and black backgrounds making the edge of the text hard to discern.  I play on a laptop with a 17 inch screen.  It’s pretty sharp otherwise.  But trying to read the white text on the blue and black backgrounds is starting to irritate me more and more.  Maybe it’s just me.  But in any case I can’t read it.
  • @loop Indeed your edit makes a big difference. Is this a change we non-programmers can make now?

• Why not add an additional chat tab(s)? I run largest font I can, yellow text on  black background. clicking the quest objective would show the text in the new tab
    edited August 16
    @ loop Indeed your edit makes a big difference. Is this a change we non-programmers can make now?

Hi Yadd_of_Legends,

Double click Default.zip in the UserInterface folder. The UserInterface folder is where your game is installed.

Extract Source/GenericGump.xml into UserInterface. Create a folder called MyUI and a folder inside of it called Source. Move the extracted GenericGump.xml into this new Source folder.

It should look like:

/UserInterface/MyUI/Source/GenericGump.xml

Open GenericGump.xml in notepad. Replace all instances of UO_CondensedText_15pt with UO_DefaultText. Save the file.

Open the EC. On the login screen, click the Custom UI button and select MyUI. Now, when you see any generic gump (legacy quest log, veteran gump, etc.), it will have bigger text.

typo corrected by Mariah, as per @loop 's later post.
  • Mordin_RockbiterMordin_Rockbiter Posts: 90
    edited August 16
    I may try this, but I would suggest reorganizing the instructions, my eyesight sucks and was a little confused by some of it, I am sure makes sense to you. For example, I would
    "Create a folder called "MyUI" and a folder inside of it called "Source." 
    Double click "Default.zip" in the UserInterface folder
    and then "Extract Source/GenericGump.xml"  directly into the destination file "Source" You would save a step and when your eyesight sucks, the less work it has to do , the better.
    Also, should that be Replace all instances of "UO_CondensedText_15pt " with "UO_Default text"?
    Did not read too deeply, my eyes started getting a little shakey and the information too condensed and jumbled for my mind without coffee.
    edited August 16
    I may try this, but I would suggest reorganizing the instructions, my eyesight sucks and was a little confused by some of it, I am sure makes sense to you. For example, I would
    "Create a folder called "MyUI" and a folder inside of it called "Source." 
    Double click "Default.zip" in the UserInterface folder
    and then "Extract Source/GenericGump.xml"  directly into the destination file "Source" You would save a step and when your eyesight sucks, the less work it has to do , the better.
    Also, should that be Replace all instances of "UO_CondensedText_15pt " with "UO_Default text"?
    Did not read too deeply, my eyes started getting a little shakey and the information too condensed and jumbled for my mind without coffee.
    Yeah that’s fine. You can create the folders first and extract the file there if you want, or extract the file first and move it to the folders.

Sorry had a typo. Needs to be UO_DefaultText. Post is too old for me to edit.

Gist is you’re creating your own mod which requires the same pathing structure and file name as Default.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,138Moderator
    edited August 16
    @loop I have edited your earlier post to correct your typo

With your permission, I would like to add this information to this section of the wiki

• Morning Mariah. Prepping for beta, that taming bug set me back, will be another week or two to overcome it. Developing training strategies, macros I developed at least still useful. A few puzzles working on. Going to stay away from the stampedes of players and find more esotaric angles. Have appreciated responsivenes of devs, but little concerned maybe a little too much. Don't pander, I would have been happier if not nerfed Mummy and Frenzied Ostard for example. It is a slippery slope, dont want to go back down the road of  making chars overpowered and destroy the challenge.
    Mariah said:
    @ loop I have edited your earlier post to correct your typo

With your permission, I would like to add this information to this section of the wiki

Sure thing. Glad I could offer something useful to the wiki.