New Legacy got a Win from Me and this is Why!

Why I like the New Legacy concept!

As a Player who has played for 20+ years, I was very hesitant about the New Legacy server. Knowing Broadsowrds' capability in development, I had low hopes for something groundbreaking. 

Sadly, they do not have the same ability to pivot their games as the free servers do. 

I have also played many free server start-ups, so my skill-gaining and progression knowledge is more advanced than someone returning to Britain. I enjoy leveling and farming as much as PvP. 

That said, I wanted to write an unbiased review on what Broadsword failed to mention and why the changes made to the new legacy are positive. 

Skill Gaining!
Q:
Why did you do this Rail system and remove the sandbox experience? This is not okay!!!!? 

A: The current and old skill gain systems have always been tedious and expensive. They also encourage unattended macroing. I myself have been busted more times than I can count for macroing a skill overnight, only to gain 5 points and waste countless resources trying to finish it. 

Following the main Quest opens up your base skills. Not all the skills are done this way; they are your primary skills; if you choose to drop them after you finish the main Quest, please feel free to do so.  
Q:

Why do I have to do this, Mian Quest? 

A: This teaches you your character's basic capabilities, how to spawn, and everything you will need to move forward in your adventures in New Legacy. Yes, this might be tedious because you are an advanced UO player, but many returning people are not. Or learn how to play the game again on the Enhanced client.

Look at it like a tutorial. In most games, the entire leveling process is a tutorial, and UO should be no different. You do it on your char then you're done for a year. Stop crying. It's alright! You make money to buy your first house as well. 

To Summarize what New Legacy is, It's the transition from classic to AOS without the Items. The item-based games made it confusing and unfair. Like skill gains, it also promoted scripting and mass farming with multiple accounts for 100s of houses to find the right piece for your template.   

Why do I like the new system?

Because it's simple, all I need to do is get invul or vanquishing items, and I  have the best gear in the game. The Swing speed LRC LMC HPI MI have all been removed. Now, you just focus on getting the high-end gear, and everything will work just like the classic, with the same weapon and the same armor for each template.  

PVP: will  update pvp system when there is some!

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,638
    Great write up and your answers are what I would say but are more eloquently written.  I use cave man talk.

We can get the skill process out the way in a few hours and proceed to the fun.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,024
    Del805 said:
    Why I like the New Legacy concept!

As a Player who has played for 20+ years, I was very hesitant about the New Legacy server. Knowing Broadsowrds' capability in development, I had low hopes for something groundbreaking. 

Sadly, they do not have the same ability to pivot their games as the free servers do. 

I have also played many free server start-ups, so my skill-gaining and progression knowledge is more advanced than someone returning to Britain. I enjoy leveling and farming as much as PvP. 

That said, I wanted to write an unbiased review on what Broadsword failed to mention and why the changes made to the new legacy are positive. 

Skill Gaining!
    Q:
    Why did you do this Rail system and remove the sandbox experience? This is not okay!!!!? 

A: The current and old skill gain systems have always been tedious and expensive. They also encourage unattended macroing. I myself have been busted more times than I can count for macroing a skill overnight, only to gain 5 points and waste countless resources trying to finish it. 

Following the main Quest opens up your base skills. Not all the skills are done this way; they are your primary skills; if you choose to drop them after you finish the main Quest, please feel free to do so.  
    Q:

Why do I have to do this, Mian Quest? 

A: This teaches you your character's basic capabilities, how to spawn, and everything you will need to move forward in your adventures in New Legacy. Yes, this might be tedious because you are an advanced UO player, but many returning people are not. Or learn how to play the game again on the Enhanced client.

Look at it like a tutorial. In most games, the entire leveling process is a tutorial, and UO should be no different. You do it on your char then you're done for a year. Stop crying. It's alright! You make money to buy your first house as well. 

To Summarize what New Legacy is, It's the transition from classic to AOS without the Items. The item-based games made it confusing and unfair. Like skill gains, it also promoted scripting and mass farming with multiple accounts for 100s of houses to find the right piece for your template.   

Why do I like the new system?

Because it's simple, all I need to do is get invul or vanquishing items, and I  have the best gear in the game. The Swing speed LRC LMC HPI MI have all been removed. Now, you just focus on getting the high-end gear, and everything will work just like the classic, with the same weapon and the same armor for each template.  

PVP: will  update pvp system when there is some!

I agree with @Pawain, great post. I was absolutely engrossed in the beta this weekend. I really enjoyed the experience. I am going to try a Mage in the next weekend and continue my crafter if they haven't wiped the shard. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    edited July 30
    Thanks for the feedback.

There will probably have to be a beta wipe at some point before final wipe, but we'll let you know when we do that before hand.  In the meantime you'll have your characters to persist each weekend.  Happy testing!
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,024
    Kyronix said:
    Thanks for the feedback.

There will probably have to be a beta wipe at some point before final wipe, but we'll let you know when we do that before hand.  In the meantime you'll have your characters to persist each weekend.  Happy testing!
    outstanding. I am finding it hard to play production this week, I really got sucked into the Beta LOL

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• ValisValis Posts: 51
    Kyronix said:
    Thanks for the feedback.

outstanding. I am finding it hard to play production this week, I really got sucked into the Beta LOL

agreed, the beta made me actually want to log in and play unlike normal servers
    Kyronix said:
    Thanks for the feedback.

NL players  <3 You!
    edited July 30
    @Violet ; Thanks!  Ill have a blue Ostard bonded I hope.

Speaking of, Can you put a pet bonding gate on NL? @Kyronix ?

Or a 24 hr bond or 3 day bond?

I and many others went thru many horses running headlong into adventure.

Was lots of fun for many.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,415
    We didn't have pet bonding back then.  Gee why don't you ask for Ins. then?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    erm
    • Is there item insurance?
      • Item Insurance does not exist on New Legacy.  All items that are equipped on your character will be preserved upon death.  Anything in your backpack will drop to your corpse.  Player Corpses will be protected for two hours.

It's not insurance, you don't have to pay for it, but whatever you're wearing isn't lost, and instead of 14 minutes to get back to your corpse you have 2 hours!
  • Del805Del805 Posts: 24
    you also get a reg belt that can hold a few regs in it... to help get back to ur body. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,415
    That all depends on what class you are and where you died.
    Shout out to Freedom, a crafter from Great Lakes!   We fought the last and difficult orc battles together.  Was lots of fun.
  • ValisValis Posts: 51
    The orc boss was interesting, definitely easier with drakes than with blade spirits  :D
    They need to make every EM boss use that skin so there would be no problem targeting it.
  • Del805Del805 Posts: 24
    seeing how i can make slayer books i think he be really easy moving forward. wish I knew that at the start. 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 981
    edited July 30
    I agree, NL is better than I expected it to be as well.  -not even factoring pvp yet, haven't seen any pvp yet.. No one was in destard when I was there, but I was also still in my 60s in skill,  'warrior' (swords) killed a drake, saw a greater dragon, ran back to the champ spawn  didn't see anyone in the dungeon and I left to finish the line of quests I had.   champ spawn seemed to have been setup as a 'pvp zone', a gump popped up similar to the active VvV town gump that pops up to characters that are not in VvV.

I'd say my only complaints are:

1) Identified items don't stay identified.   once moved, they need to be ID'd again to see their properties.  -bug. also mentioned by a few players here in various threads.

2) Quest variety.   mentioned by several players already.   I guess, there could either be more quests added to the cycle, or the quests can reward higher skill gains, so you don't have to repeat the same ones several times.

3) Defend quests difficulty seems inconsistent, I was able to complete 2 of 6 of these quests, the other 4 were seemingly impossible at our skill level, we had 3-4 people for each of the failed quests.

Overall, it was a pretty fun experience.  I kinda hope there will be more facets when it goes live, or at least a future season (same rule-set as current/beta NL though).  just to open more areas to farm gear & pvp etc,  (i used to farm gargoyle destroyers for vanq weapons, they used to drop power/vanq Large Battle Axes like 75% of the time, as well as fortification/invul plate armor pieces in ilshenar/exodus dungeon- during LBR expansion)
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • BenBen Posts: 235
    edited July 31
    The skill gain and that sense of reward in UO was one aspect that was responsible for holding my interest over the years. Some of my best memories are of building skill 8x8 on a boat or mining by ship and hiding along the mountains above Minoc. 

Before I retired from the army a couple of decades ago, there was a saying, "everyone is promoted to their level of incompetence." I have since learned this is true of organizations as well.

I doubt I will try the new game. I am still here because of the community I game within. I have a role to play. Community and playing a role were what Richard Garriott and Star Long first invisioned for the game in the beginning. Those aspirations and the memories are what influence my continuance in play.

With the time I have left on earth, and still being busy with work, I do not have the inclination to begin this new game. New memories and experiences will have to be taken on by new players.

And of memories...how those from this game are so much like those of real ones, of which I have many.

Ben said:
    The skill gain and that sense of reward in UO was one aspect that was responsible for holding my interest over the years. Some of my best memories are of building skill 8x8 on a boat or mining by ship and hiding along the mountains above Minoc. 

Before I retired from the army a couple of decades ago, there was a saying, "everyone is promoted to their level of incompetence." I have since learned this is true of organizations as well.

I doubt I will try the new game. I am still here because of the community I game within. I have a role to play. Community and playing a role were what Richard Garriott and Star Long first invisioned for the game in the beginning. Those aspirations and the memories are what influence my continuance in play.

With the time I have left on earth, and still being busy with work, I do not have the inclination to begin this new game. New memories and experiences will have to be taken on by new players.

And of memories...how those from this game are so much like those of real ones, of which I have many.

Come do that this weekend. The players would enjoy some role play in chat.  Otherwise they have me.

Be a Bard. NL is not about skilling, on few hours you are you again.  There is musical performance in Britain that has a packed house.

This cycle had limited content.   We were testing the skill system.  They listened to players who did not want to spends years gaining skills.   Posters asked for this.

The portion we are playing is a tutorial.  Posters asked for a better new player experience. 

We have not seen entered NL yet.

We are brought to NL from UO.  I am going with this role play.  I was sent here terminator style and I have to learn the physics of this new world.  

I am me.  I spent 20 years on those skills, I want them now! I want to hop into the exciting part of NL at full speed.  We are not testing the exciting part right now.