The war should be the CEO's war with the developers

The war should have the CEO with the developers telling them, how is it possible that after almost 27 years the clients both CC and EC are so full of bugs and shortcomings, that anonymous players have done much more development and help to facilitate the use of this game than the development team itself.

That players, who in addition to charging them, have to pay outside developers for the use of an application to do what is their duty, to make easy, simple and useful UO clients.

You should ask the development team, why do players use additional programs, maybe it is because our customers do not bring the essentials (excluding those who try to cheat or exploit resources, it is focused on players who seek to play in a healthy way and when I say healthy, it is not physically deteriorate by repetition).

As I reported, that you add a lot of objects in the organizing agent and by collapse, the program itself deletes the entire file and resets it for you, it's unbelievable to see that and even more so charging a fee.

Reading old posts, I found a player who said he felt a tingling in his finger from opening so many bodies to batch, asking if there was any way to do it automatically, to take by selection, etc...

The CC client doesn't provide something as basic as that, and the EC if you add too much you delete the whole file, and it's semi automatic, to give an example.

This type of situation, are unhealthy, that player felt tingling in the finger, but I in 2019 manually uploading tailoring and blacksmith, I injured my tendons, changed my life, to such an extent that I can not even do many repetitive things today as a result of that, because I still with tendons deteriorated by that repetition, that really is unfortunate and sad, and all because of a lack of software.

I agree that they detect those who really cheat, such as jumping frames doing pvp to run more, or any type of automated exploitation of resources without being present, but making this game healthy, friendly and essential tasks should be the priority after so many years, developers should see with the eyes of a player, not as developers outside the game, as did all those anonymous developers who looked for and for Ultima Online, they really love this game for its ease of use, time has shown it.

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,410
    I agree.
    The team have been in maintenance mode, while the rest of the world is in development mode.
    You cannot stand still in this world, or you are going backwards.
    The solutions are out there, to make Classic Client work as it should, it is being played by happy players.
    Link up with the other Devs, come to an agreement, make them legal - progress like the rest of the gaming world is progressing.
    I understand you wanting to tidy house for New Legacy - but focus on New Legacy, not Official Production? Why do you need to go backwards here?
    To do this, you have to make Classic work properly. And we all know it can.
    You cannot go to war, without having a solution for the players.
    edited July 24
    And also, these players, bought you time, to take 4 years out completely to develop New Legacy.

This is not the greatest way to repay them.

• NikonUSNikonUS Posts: 28
    I agree 100%
    I am sure they can talk with Hotride and make the "O" client legal, with no scripting. just use the interface, macros, FPS, containers and everything good about.
  • mismis Posts: 61
    Cookie said:
    I agree.
    The team have been in maintenance mode, while the rest of the world is in development mode.
    You cannot stand still in this world, or you are going backwards.
    The solutions are out there, to make Classic Client work as it should, it is being played by happy players.
    Link up with the other Devs, come to an agreement, make them legal - progress like the rest of the gaming world is progressing.
    I understand you wanting to tidy house for New Legacy - but focus on New Legacy, not Official Production? Why do you need to go backwards here?
    To do this, you have to make Classic work properly. And we all know it can.
    You cannot go to war, without having a solution for the players.

I'm glad to read comments like yours;

This game doesn't need more "dinosaurs", artifacts, or more worlds without first solving something it urgently needs, which is to solve the UO client, both CC and EH.

Do you think it is normal, that today in destard, after spending a long time adding in the agent / organizer by type, all kinds of armor and weapons, the EC deletes the entire configuration by collapse?

It is unfortunate and shameful that you cannot use the official clients because they are poorly programmed and full of bugs, that you are forced to use third party programs, such as UOAssist, which by the way, I downloaded the installer file yesterday and it gave error with the Tugsoft server, so I could not install it and its installation does not work.

Then you only have two options, damage your tendons dragging objects or use a script for easyuo for object agent by type, but of course, is it legal? then they will start to put obstacles, if it is not legal, you go back to the beginning, their software fails, has a breach and the authorized third party program does not work or their server is abandoned, big dilemma.

I will think about what to do

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 233
    Broadsword has completely abdicated client development and it really, really, really shows. I can name multiple freeshard clients vastly superior to the obsolete dilapidated retail clients.
  • KazKaz Posts: 131
    I think this thread hits the nail on the head.  
    I understand the need to curb the automation gameplay. That is super clear.  
    The solution put forward leaves everyone with an inferior playing experience. 

3rd party add ons were born out of necessity, the existing clients werent performing as they should, were not keeping up with advancements, being bug fixed at appropriate levels.   So what do players do?   They innovate.  They develop their own solutions to issues that are not being addressed.  
    Unfortunately, sometimes with innovation, it tends to grow legs and start walking on its own (pun intended).  “What else can we do?” And here we are.  

The root of the problem stems from the clients themselves being in desperate need of QOL updates. 

A list of officially approved 3rd party add ons would be really appreciated. 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 979
    no one was eager for a list of approved programs last week... what happened?
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    CovenantX said:
    no one was eager for a list of approved programs last week... what happened?
    Posters have poor reading comprehension and they read the worst news those words could make.

Most of the worried people did not use the client they want to get rid of.  

Like I say often, the posters want their hand held through every change or update.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    edited July 24
    I only read your first paragraph before typing these lines @mis..

The answer is pretty easy.. the dev team of UO jumpship.. by 2004, they were all gone with origin system..

Since then it been dev with a very limited vision.. they read old notes of these original dev while trying to do their best.. imo their best was just not enough on top of ruining UO more n more every patch..

Before choice mattered A LOT.. today it's a buffet and all that matter is to keep your sub activated and play those event with OP items shard bound.

As for the third party they clearly lost control and it's WAYYY too late to fix it now.. this is only PR for their new server.. people on forum acting like Broadsword gonna eliminate the bot and cheater using automated action in PvP.. the best they gonna do is limit the BAD botting on legacy server (by targeting the bad bots on the free account).. that's it; people will still be using advanced bots on legacy and using automated action while PvPing on ATL..

In short the CEO's (is freaking EA and EA hates MMOrpg.. they shipping them at Broadsword to let them die slowly on a respiratory machine... back then, in the early 2k, the CEO at EA shut down the production of 3 new MMO; UO2, privateer online (wings commander MMO/ Starcitizen) and a third one; a MMOrpg on the HARRY POTTER license!!

EA love their game as service NOW.. but still hates MMO.. MMO u need passion to make good one.. compare this with disney and their TV shows..
    You still have smaller project like shogun at HULU doing god work with their PASSION and limited money.. wich Broadsword could achieve.. but we know since 2004 that Broadsword vision does not align with OUR vision.. the only people that got a 10+ years sub account are the COLLECTOR players..

Broadsword are semi-competent when it come to these guys, that's it..

PS: I was really hoping legacy would be a good UO.. friendly for noobs and old players.. the same good old UO.. no more 8-9 properties items or perfect consumable items with a tons of other consumable like enchanted apples.. I thought they would bring back the good old UO with HEAVY roleplay system.. I never thought they would go for a freaking theme park UO in 2024.. this is just to show you how Broadsword is disconnected.. dude, they legit did the infamous rat quest in the trailer video of legacy... Seeing this UO trailer video i just feel like installing The 4th Coming (T4C)

As for third party program.. i'm still using the classic client doing everything manually I got a UO assist for the main account.. i would still use uo map if I was playing in group.

Today everyone I speak with in game tells me to get orion or Raz.. wich I answer I try easy in ~2003.. 2-3weeks latr i was uninstalling it.. make stuff way to easy and automated.. where is the fun in that.. i'm trying to learn piano and u bring me a program that gonna play for me?!?!

Sure they could work on their client and some quality of life improvement but this is broadsword mate.. THEIR quality of life improvement does not align with MINE..

Dumb example: now on the mule account i can set up better macro than I could back then.. I was pump! i can disarm/re-arm drink pot.. even use SMOKE BOMB!!

After crafting 3080 eggs bomb (not third party.. took me 2 hours.. was watching a movie on second screen... THEIR "new" macro system on classic has NO macro for eggs bomb only smoke bomb..
    incompetency 1 0 1

PS: even posting on forum is HELLA HARD.. i need to log into my account multiple times cuz of permission problem.
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
    KroDuK said:
    I only read your first paragraph before typing these lines @ mis..

The answer is pretty easy.. the dev team of UO jumpship.. by 2004, they were all gone with origin system..

Since then it been dev with a very limited vision.. they read old notes of these original dev while trying to do their best.. imo their best was just not enough on top of ruining UO more n more every patch..

Before choice mattered A LOT.. today it's a buffet and all that matter is to keep your sub activated and play those event with OP items shard bound.

As for the third party they clearly lost control and it's WAYYY too late to fix it now.. this is only PR for their new server.. people on forum acting like Broadsword gonna eliminate the bot and cheater using automated action in PvP.. the best they gonna do is limit the BAD botting on legacy server (by targeting the bad bots on the free account).. that's it; people will still be using advanced bots on legacy and using automated action while PvPing on ATL..

In short the CEO's (is freaking EA and EA hates MMOrpg.. they shipping them at Broadsword to let them die slowly on a respiratory machine... back then, in the early 2k, the CEO at EA shut down the production of 3 new MMO; UO2, privateer online (wings commander MMO/ Starcitizen) and a third one; a MMOrpg on the HARRY POTTER license!!

EA love their game as service NOW.. but still hates MMO.. MMO u need passion to make good one.. compare this with disney and their TV shows..
    You still have smaller project like shogun at HULU doing god work with their PASSION and limited money.. wich Broadsword could achieve.. but we know since 2004 that Broadsword vision does not align with OUR vision.. the only people that got a 10+ years sub account are the COLLECTOR players..

Broadsword are semi-competent when it come to these guys, that's it..

PS: I was really hoping legacy would be a good UO.. friendly for noobs and old players.. the same good old UO.. no more 8-9 properties items or perfect consumable items with a tons of other consumable like enchanted apples.. I thought they would bring back the good old UO with HEAVY roleplay system.. I never thought they would go for a freaking theme park UO in 2024.. this is just to show you how Broadsword is disconnected.. dude, they legit did the infamous rat quest in the trailer video of legacy... Seeing this UO trailer video i just feel like installing The 4th Coming (T4C)

As for third party program.. i'm still using the classic client doing everything manually I got a UO assist for the main account.. i would still use uo map if I was playing in group.

Today everyone I speak with in game tells me to get orion or Raz.. wich I answer I try easy in ~2003.. 2-3weeks latr i was uninstalling it.. make stuff way to easy and automated.. where is the fun in that.. i'm trying to learn piano and u bring me a program that gonna play for me?!?!

Sure they could work on their client and some quality of life improvement but this is broadsword mate.. THEIR quality of life improvement does not align with MINE..

Dumb example: now on the mule account i can set up better macro than I could back then.. I was pump! i can disarm/re-arm drink pot.. even use SMOKE BOMB!!

After crafting 3080 eggs bomb (not third party.. took me 2 hours.. was watching a movie on second screen... THEIR "new" macro system on classic has NO macro for eggs bomb only smoke bomb..
    incompetency 1 0 1

PS: even posting on forum is HELLA HARD.. i need to log into my account multiple times cuz of permission problem.

I enjoyed reading your comment

I knew part of what you wrote and I understand that the reason why the current situation of UO client is still like this, may be related to the parent company.

You commented that you use UOAssist on your main account, already just the fact that you use that even on one account is an advantage over many players who lack that program.

Years ago when the list of third party programs was accessible, that program was listed as authorized.

Currently I use the original clients, both, I make combinations between both clients to do it in a healthy way, but even with that it is limiting and complex, because it forces me to make many clicks and dragging objects, because CC is limited and EC also has shortcomings.

I tried to install the other day UOAssist to test, but the server of that company gave error and I could not install it.

Actually I find it surprising that this program (UOAssist) where it says in capital letters 'ORIGIN SYSTEMS HAS NOT TESTED THIS PRODUCT IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER AND DOES NOT KNOW WHETHER IT WORKS IN ANY OR ALL REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS OR THAT IT WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE IN SOME REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS' in its updates section, is allowed to be used.

First, because they recognize that ORIGIN has not tested the program and does not know how it works, second, for making money (profit from a game not developed by them) and third, it is not accessible to all players, because in my case, I can not install it due to an internal error of their servers.

This gives a clear disadvantage to part of the players, because some who were able to download it and activate the seed, can benefit from some options that ORIGIN does not know if they are advantageous for some players (as quoted in the official website above, who lack knowledge and tested).

The fair thing would be or allow all or none, and the right thing would be, solve the CC and EC to add all those advantages offered by many third party programs in an accessible and free for all.

edited July 25
    @mis

Try reading thru this thread. And clicking links.
    https://community.stratics.com/threads/uoa-cant-connect-to-updateace.430824/#post-3148090
    https://community.stratics.com/threads/uo-assist-deactivated-solution.394597/

Some players use UO Assist every day. Since the owner does not play anymore, it is not kept up to date when when UO does another publish.

Yes UO does not maintain these so they do not want to answer questions about them every day.
    You even get that message when running 2 clients at the same time.

It is a way to reduce questions about things they have no control over.
    edited July 25
    Pawain said:
    @ mis

https://community.stratics.com/threads/uoa-cant-connect-to-updateace.430824/#post-3148090

Some players use UO Assist every day. Since the owner does not play anymore, it is not kept up to date when when UO does another publish.

Yes UO does not maintain these so they do not want to answer questions about them every day.

Seen, but I want to go deeper. (I am using a translator to be able to communicate and perhaps it influences the context and its understanding, my apologies).

The issue is not that a player to use a third party program, modify the code and can use it, but that player is forced to use third party programs because of the shortcomings of the main software.

The second part of all this, is, if that player cannot use that third party program because of software issues (bugs) or because he/she does not want/cannot pay money to third party programs, just for that alone, there is a disadvantage.

And in a very simple way, player A has a third party program that allows him in an automated way to perform actions that player B cannot, because the main software lacks it.

Something simple, like mounting and dismounting your creature.

Maybe some players think that this is indifferent, but it is not, when years ago physically I was fine and could pvp, mounting and dismounting your creature was crucial both to finish the enemy and to escape/go after him.

Did it seem like a joke? well it's not, so I could list many, many automated options as third party programs can and the main one lacks.

understanding this point, and as I said, the fair thing would be or allow all or none, and the right thing would be, solve the CC and EC to add all those advantages offered by many third party programs in an accessible and free for all.

still thank you for your contribution.

mis said:
    Pawain said:
    @ mis

Seen, but I want to go deeper. (I am using a translator to be able to communicate and perhaps it influences the context and its understanding, my apologies).

The issue is not that a player to use a third party program, modify the code and can use it, but that player is forced to use third party programs because of the shortcomings of the main software.

The second part of all this, is, if that player cannot use that third party program because of software issues (bugs) or because he/she does not want/cannot pay money to third party programs, just for that alone, there is a disadvantage.

And in a very simple way, player A has a third party program that allows him in an automated way to perform actions that player B cannot, because the main software lacks it.

Something simple, like mounting and dismounting your creature.

Maybe some players think that this is indifferent, but it is not, when years ago physically I was fine and could pvp, mounting and dismounting your creature was crucial both to finish the enemy and to escape/go after him.

Did it seem like a joke? well it's not, so I could list many, many automated options as third party programs can and the main one lacks.

understanding this point, and as I said, the fair thing would be or allow all or none, and the right thing would be, solve the CC and EC to add all those advantages offered by many third party programs in an accessible and free for all.

still thank you for your contribution.

The devs do not want to add auto heal or bandage to the game.  They do not want to automate the game.

They are not going to make a client that does that.

I play just fine with just CC.  But you PvP I think.

Hopefully they will not allow other clients to log into UO soon. 
  • AenvarAenvar Posts: 50
    I suffer from wrist pain too and I understand you. 

I'm still in UO because of what it means to me. I've kept restricting myself, adapting my playstyle, doing less, playing slower, taking frequent rests... But it's a daily struggle.

In its current state, UO is one of the most physically exerting videogames. UoAssist is a helpful tool but far from perfect.

I'm aware I'll have to quit some day soon, but still I cling to hope, and want to believe that the client will be upgraded, making UO a bit more user-friendly.

Maybe banning the non-official 3rd party clients is paving the road to a brighter future...?

I wish you the best of luck with your injury. Thank you for taking the time to write this.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 512
    If you catch carpal tunnel early, it's reversible.  There's also multiple stages.  I wouldn't just ignore it.  Talk to a doctor.
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    edited July 26
    Aenvar said:

I'm still in UO because of what it means to me. I've kept restricting myself, adapting my playstyle, doing less, playing slower, taking frequent rests... But it's a daily struggle.

In its current state, UO is one of the most physically exerting videogames.
    You should try Blade and Soul or a game like starcraft.. UO APM is in the mid range in the physically exerting scale, at best..

But yeah @mis The grey zone is voluntarily they won't tell you YES you can cheat!!
    Back then cheaters could be reported and ban.. but from what I heard since ~1month and seen lurking on ATL yew gate.. everyone is using automated action like self healing, EVEN when they PvE they using multi account with a bard/healer in the middle keeping them alive with automated action type of stuff..

Personally when i'm ready to start PvP again if i can't compete with UOAssist i'll karen the F out of broadsword to take actions.. ban them or ban me type of karen ^^

Their PR recently about automated action is a joke let's be real it's only for their new legacy server they doing some PR.. cuz dumb example.. if I play on classic client i have NO vaccuum AUTO LOOT.. Broadsword legit added an AUTO LOOTER on their reborn client.. i'm the type of idiot that never used the auto looter on classic and refused to play with people using it, while shaming these cheaters that would quit party before the champion died cuz they would auto loot..

When i came back recently and someone told me (i was looting everything MANUALLY on classic, to unravel on imbuer to lvl up) like on troglodyte/succubus.. then someone tell me: use the enhanced client for that u can vaccuum.. here u can understand broadsword ASSUME the classic client user are already cheating with auto loot when the enhance client u had no cheating engine for them to "vaccuum" so they did one.. meanwhile i'm here using classic client legit and no vaccuum for me.. i'm dragging everything and taking 5 times the time a cheater would or enhanced client would..

I rather feel like an idiot than a cheater even if broadsword doesn't act upon them other than PR for legacy server..
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
    KroDuK said:

But yeah @ mis The grey zone is voluntarily they won't tell you YES you can cheat!!
    Back then cheaters could be reported and ban.. but from what I heard since ~1month and seen lurking on ATL yew gate.. everyone is using automated action like self healing, EVEN when they PvE they using multi account with a bard/healer in the middle keeping them alive with automated action type of stuff..

In relation to bard healers, I don't know if it is the same, but the EC allows to create a macro with repeat option up to 10 times, that is legal and allowed, but I don't know if you mean the same.

Aenvar said:

In its current state, UO is one of the most physically exerting videogames. UoAssist is a helpful tool but far from perfect.

I'm aware I'll have to quit some day soon, but still I cling to hope, and want to believe that the client will be upgraded, making UO a bit more user-friendly.

Maybe banning the non-official 3rd party clients is paving the road to a brighter future...?

I wish you the best of luck with your injury. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

I am pleased with your empathy and thank you for it.

Like you, this game means a lot to me; the easy way would have been after what happened not to have come back, but all these years I have been waiting for this partial recovery to come back, and this summer I came back.

For me it was a challenge to return, because this world was "ripped" from my life, not by my own will, but forced, and if I leave this game, I want it to be of my own free will, when I feel that I have had enough, that my journey here is over.

I love Ultima Online because inherently there is a mysticism, a magic that envelops its environment, that transports me beyond the superficial and temporal.

And this connection, started in the 90's when I first played Ultima VII: The Black Gate, I fantasized in that world, Richard Garriott possibly consciously and with a depth in the development of his games beyond the ordinary, added spiritual philosophy in these games, karma, the figure of the Avatar, the use of a subtle body when one dies, the battle between right and wrong, etc. that years later I discovered was related to Vedic philosophy.

All this set of aspects makes Ultima Online not an ordinary game, it is really a diamond, whose potential is limited by its software, but as you rightly say, the hope that the client will be upgraded and made more user friendly.

Regarding your question, I think that without having a stable main software and without solving the bugs and shortcomings it has, it is a mistake, because many players use third-party software to do basic things like agents / organizer / restock, because the official software fails or lacks it as is the case of CC, if you strangle these players, there is a possibility that they leave the game or are planted to go to unofficial servers, therefore results in less revenue and empty official servers.

What is destined for a better future is to solve the real problem, the official software, then train GM to go after players who have been reported as cheaters for taking advantage of server bugs, to give warnings via pm, and if after warnings or a previous communication they do not yield in their activities, kill (disconnection), if that player continues, a ban of 1 month and so on until doubling the time and as a last resort permanent ban, but before suspension or temporary ban, not radically by running a third-party program for loot in CC, end up permanently banned.

That's my vision, thank you for your wishes, I wish you to get better from your wrist too. My pleasure

I share with you my favorite tune from the Ultima saga that over the years I have listened to and kept my hope alive to return.

Ultima Bootup on Piano (Ultima VI) :

• DragoDrago Posts: 303
    edited July 26
    They tried a revised client in 2010 with Kingdom Reborn and it was a failure.  Mostly because of poor performance and bad choices in artistic design with 3d rendering... (colors were off , object scaling was BAD, etc..).   I read somewhere Kingdom reborn costed over $10 million... so I seriously doubt you will ever see broadsword revisit client upgrades (in any form)... ever.

As far as simple QoL interface changes to CC.  Why arent they allocating dev time towards it? because its either

a) NOT doable ... CCs source code is over 30 years old....  
    or
    b) if it was doable.. it would take astronomical amount of dev hours to do.... the costs outweigh the return.

I personally never use CC.... its too antiquated and is terrible on higher resolution monitors (game window too small).

Drago said:
    As far as simple QoL interface changes to CC.  Why arent they allocating dev time towards it? because its either

or
    b) if it was doable.. it would take astronomical amount of dev hours to do.... the costs outweigh the return.

I personally never use CC.... its too antiquated and is terrible on higher resolution monitors (game window too small).

The point here, is it has been done.
    It is possible, it is very playable, it is a lot of fun. It is the upgrade the game needs.
    All of your reasons for not playing CC - are fixable.
    edited July 26
    Drago said:
    They tried a revised client in 2010 with Kingdom Reborn and it was a failure.  Mostly because of poor performance and bad choices in artistic design with 3d rendering... (colors were off , object scaling was BAD, etc..).   I read somewhere Kingdom reborn costed over $10 million... so I seriously doubt you will ever see broadsword revisit client upgrades (in any form)... ever.

or

You are approaching it from the graphical side (which is different), I am approaching it from the accessibility and ease, as for example in CC:

- add key in macro section to open body automatically by key.
    - add an icon in the body backpack to loot all or only by type, or select the loot bag (as it exists in EC but fails agents / organizer / restock )
    - add the option to automatically mount and dismount from the creature by key (as it happens with the option to open doors automatically or run automatically)
    - in the store allow to buy everything at once, not to hold the button (as it happens in EC)

and so many other options, avoiding many unnecessary clicks and drags that only generate problems in the tendons by repetition and other physical problems (this is something already solved in the EC version).

This already exists in easyuo scripts or programs like UOAssist and derivatives, therefore anonymous programmers and companies have achieved it.

And if the original CC code is too complex, for example, develop a program like UOAssist developed by the company that only connects to the official servers, free and for everyone.

The programmer will be paid the same salary if you send him to develop code for new worlds, monsters or to fix bugs, add functions, etc. because he is on staff, you are not paying external graphic designers for new environments, etc. he is a staff member, he is paid the same because he is going to work hours.
  • CorkCork Posts: 5
    edited July 26
    NikonUS said:
    I agree 100%
    I am sure they can talk with Hotride and make the "O" client legal, with no scripting. just use the interface, macros, FPS, containers and everything good about.
    Hotride closed the source for the project and abandoned development on his client years ago.
    KroDuK said:
    Aenvar said:

In its current state, UO is one of the most physically exerting videogames.
    You should try Blade and Soul or a game like starcraft.. UO APM is in the mid range in the physically exerting scale, at best..

I stand corrected.

I can't speak for Blade & Soul, but indeed, Starcraft (on a competitive level) causes way more fatigue than UO. However, I was able to replay Starcraft's campaign recently, and had little trouble compared to a grinding session in Painted Caves.

My remark was meant to compare UO with other games in the same genre (MMORPG-Sandbox) like Eve, Wurm, Mortal...

While other mainstream MMORPGs like WoW are tougher than UO, they have also taken big steps towards making the controls more accessible for their older audience. Something I hope UO will do as well :)
    mis said:
    Aenvar said:

I am pleased with your empathy and thank you for it.

Like you, this game means a lot to me; the easy way would have been after what happened not to have come back, but all these years I have been waiting for this partial recovery to come back, and this summer I came back.

For me it was a challenge to return, because this world was "ripped" from my life, not by my own will, but forced, and if I leave this game, I want it to be of my own free will, when I feel that I have had enough, that my journey here is over.

I love Ultima Online because inherently there is a mysticism, a magic that envelops its environment, that transports me beyond the superficial and temporal.

And this connection, started in the 90's when I first played Ultima VII: The Black Gate, I fantasized in that world, Richard Garriott possibly consciously and with a depth in the development of his games beyond the ordinary, added spiritual philosophy in these games, karma, the figure of the Avatar, the use of a subtle body when one dies, the battle between right and wrong, etc. that years later I discovered was related to Vedic philosophy.

All this set of aspects makes Ultima Online not an ordinary game, it is really a diamond, whose potential is limited by its software, but as you rightly say, the hope that the client will be upgraded and made more user friendly.

Regarding your question, I think that without having a stable main software and without solving the bugs and shortcomings it has, it is a mistake, because many players use third-party software to do basic things like agents / organizer / restock, because the official software fails or lacks it as is the case of CC, if you strangle these players, there is a possibility that they leave the game or are planted to go to unofficial servers, therefore results in less revenue and empty official servers.

What is destined for a better future is to solve the real problem, the official software, then train GM to go after players who have been reported as cheaters for taking advantage of server bugs, to give warnings via pm, and if after warnings or a previous communication they do not yield in their activities, kill (disconnection), if that player continues, a ban of 1 month and so on until doubling the time and as a last resort permanent ban, but before suspension or temporary ban, not radically by running a third-party program for loot in CC, end up permanently banned.

That's my vision, thank you for your wishes, I wish you to get better from your wrist too. My pleasure

I share with you my favorite tune from the Ultima saga that over the years I have listened to and kept my hope alive to return.

Ultima Bootup on Piano (Ultima VI) :

Very happy to meet another Ultima fan ! Your reply moved me, we share very similar feelings.

Likewise, the background and lore for the games impacted me a lot when I was younger, and this influence still lasts today. It sparked my interest in music, philosophy, tabletop games, collecting... 

I'll never forget how I felt when I played Quest of the Avatar for the first time, completely ignorant and oblivious to what I was supposed to do, but happy every time I made a new discovery :)

Agreed with you on everything - UO is a game like no other but the current official clients are its biggest hurdle. I still can't understand why there isn't at least one of them with all the possible improvements.

For example, CC can automatically open corpses, but EC can't. On the other hand, EC can loot with right click, but CC can't... I wish we could at least consolidate these helpful features in one client, to make our lives a little easier.

I enjoyed a lot listening to The False Prophet's introduction on that Roland FP-50. Beautiful interpretation!

Thank you for sharing your story, I hope the world of Britannia will welcome you for many years. All the best.
    Aenvar said:

Very happy to meet another Ultima fan ! Your reply moved me, we share very similar feelings.

Likewise, the background and lore for the games impacted me a lot when I was younger, and this influence still lasts today. It sparked my interest in music, philosophy, tabletop games, collecting... 

I'll never forget how I felt when I played Quest of the Avatar for the first time, completely ignorant and oblivious to what I was supposed to do, but happy every time I made a new discovery :)

Agreed with you on everything - UO is a game like no other but the current official clients are its biggest hurdle. I still can't understand why there isn't at least one of them with all the possible improvements.

For example, CC can automatically open corpses, but EC can't. On the other hand, EC can loot with right click, but CC can't... I wish we could at least consolidate these helpful features in one client, to make our lives a little easier.

I enjoyed a lot listening to The False Prophet's introduction on that Roland FP-50. Beautiful interpretation!

Thank you for sharing your story, I hope the world of Britannia will welcome you for many years. All the best.
    As you rightly point out in your experience, the games we play influence our lives and game designers must be aware that their work can have an impact on the lives of many people, it is a great responsibility.

Richard Garriott was aware of this responsibility and as I explained in the previous message, he left inherent in his games that awakening of consciousness by introducing a spiritual philosophy. He can be defined as a visionary, a person ahead of his time and an example to follow as a videogame designer.

*You received a mystical blessing*

Thank you
  • Boardsword should have a client building contest. 

UO clearly has many talented people that can (and have) created clients for UO. I know of at lest three clients that people currently use.

Client Developers could submit working clients to Boardsword. The ones that pass internal quality testing could be released to the public for testing/voting. 

Turn it into a prize contest with winners getting job offers or cash prizes.
    edited July 27
    Boardsword should have a client building contest. 

UO clearly has many talented people that can (and have) created clients for UO. I know of at lest three clients that people currently use.

Client Developers could submit working clients to Boardsword. The ones that pass internal quality testing could be released to the public for testing/voting. 

Brilliant and excellent idea

In order not to give publicity I will not name the game, but a popular MOBA game usually makes public among users the possibility to design appearances for their heroes, the winning designer receives a number of prize bonuses and benefits for his work.

In this case, the winner could receive that excellent idea of a job possibility as an assistant designer or if on the contrary there are restrictions by the parent company for hiring, replicate what other companies do as the game I mentioned, in this case it would be for example a succulent amount of Sovereigns coins, game subscription, in-game title as Creative Designer and renowned objects as Outstanding Designer of the season.

If you see fit, since it was you who initiated the idea, post in General Discussions a new topic with a title related to this so that the company can take it into account.

Subsequent to your posting I will attach this alternative award I wrote here.

Thank you

Boardsword should have a client building contest. 

That's actually brilliant :)

• I'm glad you two like the idea. I'll start a new thread in gen discussion.