Artifact Dungeon Thief

I have built a character to be sneaking around various dungeons to steal artifacts and generally get in to trouble. I talked about him a little in another thread. This is what I have so far:

Magery 110
Meditation 110
Eval Int 110
Hiding 93.9/100
Stealth 35.1/100
Stealing 50/115

Fishing 100 (Transferring to another toon)
Lockpicking 100 (Transferring to another toon?)

Two questions. One, should I keep or get rid of the Lockpicking? It could be handy for popping chests while I am sneaking around. Two, if I do keep the Lockpicking would another skill like Disarm Traps or Resist Magic help?

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,836
    edited July 19
    My dungeon thief has
    Detect Hidden 100
    Focus 40
    Hiding 100
    Lock Picking 100
    Magery 70
    Remove Trap 100
    Stealing 120
    Stealth 90

With this combination I go through the active Khaldun champ spawn without problems while looking for hidden chests.  I also go through the Doom and Exodus dungeons with the same.
  • PriamPriam Posts: 44
    Awesome! Thank you for the input.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 321
    TimSt said:
    while looking for hidden chests
    This is news to me, what is in those chests?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,836
    shootgun said:
    TimSt said:
    while looking for hidden chests
    This is news to me, what is in those chests?

Right now generic low level armor and weapons.  But starting in October and running for 2 months there will be armor and weapons marked with the "of cult" property, along with gold, the peerless ingredients needed to craft Scrapper's Compendiums, and the steal-able ultra rare statues of the Invasion titans.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,153
    Everyone should have ninja in template!
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    Grimbeard said:
    Everyone should have ninja in template!
    West Virginia Ninja on Make a GIF

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 851
    LOL VoS

My rogues are never very good mages. And not good fighters. I do like to be able to recall and gate though. I like Tim’s template a lot.

Left is with gear - Right is real skill.  As always I could use better jewels.

I switch things up, with skills I have stoned, depending on what sort of adventuring I'm doing. Like, if I were going to try to steal from monsters and go after chests I'd drop eval and put remove trap on. If treasure hunting I'd drop the stealing and eval and put cartography and remove trap on.   

I'm not sure why I have eval on her at all! I can barely shoo low level monsters away from the house! I might have been out on a boat with someone and thought it might help, I dunno, it's been awhile.

I still have a little room on this character and I keep meaning to finish raising stealing to 120 real. Because, I believe, not 100% sure but pretty sure, Smuggler's Edge success is based on real skill?

I always wish for more for rogues to do. Something new and exciting would be great. Some new items to steal from monsters would be nice. New items found in chests would be great. I'd love to go steal from town chests again and find new items. Rogue geared quests would be nice.

I don't know what NL will have in store for us but I hope it's something beyond the little snippet I saw on becoming an assassin. I don't really see my rogue's as assassin types so much.
  • PriamPriam Posts: 44
    Thank you for taking the time Lily! I am still feeling the game out. Not sure where I will land.
  • I'd like to take this moment to say: Rogue skills in general need an overhaul because the combat rogue, D&D style, doesn't seem to be a viable template in UO, and should be.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 851
    Yeah, I had a D&D halfling rogue who, aside from her locks, traps and stealthiness skills, had acrobatic skills, skills with short blades, and ventriloquism. She’d throw her voice, sneak behind the enemy and hamstring them with her dagger. She was so much fun to play.