Vendor Search Seller's Descriptions

The power scrolls and primers were a good start but the devs should really look into the rest of the items on vendor search intentionally written to deceive the buyers. Balron Bone Armor, Sentinel's Mempos, Corrupted Paladin Vambraces, and now even the Plunderin' Pirate hats on more than one shard but especially Atlantic. I don't understand how hard it for a GM to respond to a page that someone is scamming and it be easily confirmed, then delete their vendors and give them one warning before they are perma banned. It's understandable that it should be buyer beware, but that is for the occasional item, not pages of these items allowed to go by with no consequences. Please clean this behavior up out of the community. @Kyronix

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,133
    There were a lot more yesterday and very obvious.  Today the real one is cheaper than the fakes.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • VagabondVagabond Posts: 92
    I loled. As always, this is a "buyers beware" issue, especially on Atlantic.
    It's the "Sellers' description". The seller named it that way, the original name is always the top name ("Mystic bone armor of Vitality").
    I'm confused as to how this can be an issue for people who can read.
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,415
    :D i saw that last night haha so lame !
  • Jha_durJha_dur Posts: 9
    The only true way to stop this is to take away all descriptions on items you put on vendors which would be a bad idea. They have been "scamming" this way for over 20 years and unless they took away the ability for you to put descriptions on items, they will continue. Pay attention to what you are buying, Not just at the descriptions but also the prices. People like to slip in a 20,000,000 item into a 2,000,000 stack of items in hopes you miss it.

It sucks that people do this. I was gotten once along time ago. The experience stuck with me though and I have been cautious ever since.

• DragoDrago Posts: 295
    Stop.  Read.  Re-read.  Then read again.
    This is a 30 year old game that doesn't forgive fast and reckless decisions...
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,323
    edited April 27
    Always check the UO description, actual prices of each item and what’s in the container if it’s the container full of items you are buying.  With durability items, ALWAYS check the durability to insure the item is not worn out.

UO is trying to police this better by not allowing seller’s descriptions on some items.  Outright lies should not be allowed when found.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 211
    You can't take all the risk out of shopping in UO.  This is no different than real life.  Stealing is a feature of the game.  It was added specifically for a reason.  While the change to the scrolls is welcome, changing description setting rules for too many items will ultimately end up hurting honest players who aren't abusing the system. 

Buyer Beware.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,133
    Merlin said:
    You can't take all the risk out of shopping in UO.  This is no different than real life.  Stealing is a feature of the game.  It was added specifically for a reason.  While the change to the scrolls is welcome, changing description setting rules for too many items will ultimately end up hurting honest players who aren't abusing the system. 

Buyer Beware.
    When you put it that way, stealing is a feature of the game.  Then they are just trying to steal, which is a feature of the game.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,043
    Merlin said:

Buyer Beware.
    Somehow killing people and taking everything is ok but stealing not..
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,692
    The reason he originally posted this... He wasn't the only one who was getting frustrated at having page after page of tricorne hats with the description of plunderin. 

This wasn't just happening on Atlantic but there they go overboard with them named that. This is intentional behavior and shouldn't be allowed. It isn't a buyer beware, it is a SCAM!!!

This is different than putting a description on Artisan Festival items, where all the same items are just named one thing. They are doing it to DEFRAUD. And should be held accountable. Then this behavior would stop
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 811
    edited April 30
    There is a post asking to change this behavior here, too:

I'd guess 99%+ of all searches do not need to consider the player/attacker provided seller description.  

Add a check-box search field, where the player has to "opt-in" to searching the seller provided text, if there is some reason to keep this capability.

p.s. If memory serves, if you steal from an evil monster, you lose karma.  But you don't lose karma if you kill it.
    The reason he originally posted this... He wasn't the only one who was getting frustrated at having page after page of tricorne hats with the description of plunderin. 

This wasn't just happening on Atlantic but there they go overboard with them named that. This is intentional behavior and shouldn't be allowed. It isn't a buyer beware, it is a SCAM!!!

This is different than putting a description on Artisan Festival items, where all the same items are just named one thing. They are doing it to DEFRAUD. And should be held accountable. Then this behavior would stop
    No no no should they not be allowed to kill you either ? This hand holding killed thieves just stop 
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 111
    edited May 1
    This has absolutely nothing to do with using the stealing skill, against players or otherwise. What a strange tangent to bring up in defense of scamming. Be a big boy and just say "I think scamming should be allowed because lol" instead of trying to conflate it with past gameplay.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with using the stealing skill, against players or otherwise. What a strange tangent to bring up in defense of scamming. Be a big boy and just say "I think scamming should be allowed because lol" instead of trying to conflate it with past gameplay.
    Ok I think scamming is ok buyer beware 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,692
    Grimbeard said:

No no no should they not be allowed to kill you either ? This hand holding killed thieves just stop 
    a vendor has never killed me.
    however, when looking for a plunderin pirate hat
    it is aggravating when you have to click the right arrow repeatedly because of the SCAMMERS. 

the first few days, a friend said she got tired of clicking the arrow after doing it for around 50 times. All of those were fakes.  And today i did that 23 times and that was just the ones that were listed under the 175K prices. (they also did it at higher amounts too)

It is a scam and should not be allowed. Them allowing stuff like this, is what drives people away from the game.