New Legacy - I get it...somewhat.

I've come back to UO after a return that ended in me losing my tower, so I'm catching up on things. I like to post ideas to improve the game and make it even more fun, and since I've been doing that recently, all sorts of vets keep complaining that the team is wrapped up in New Legacy and everything is in maintenance mode of sorts.

So I finally checked out NL, and I have to say I get it. It does seem aimed at some of the original UO excitement, while adopting this season-driven approach that is successful in some other games. For some reason vets keep insisting little is known about it, but it seems there is quite a bit known: https://www.uo-cah.com/new-legacy/everything-we-know I found this summary of everything shared and all the videos where they show it off and talk about it.

In my opinion, releasing NL should vitally come with enhancements to the CC client like, like resolution/screen size, a spell bar, and mostly various qualify of life upgrades. UO is a very rich and deep game that if presented well, can easily pull in way more players. I also think the 3D client is too weird and hacky, aesthetically off, and it can't compete in terms of quality... but 2D is kind of easier to make work. 2D art can be very pretty and timeless, 3D is easily outmoded. I especially like the new 2D art in the books of NL, and also stuff like the EJ Hunter's Atlas. That stuff is very cool and pretty to look at. 

Anyway, I get the thrust behind NL, but just not sure whether the apparently tiny team didn't spread itself too thin taking it on. And if I were them, I would drop "everything" for a month or two, and focus solely on QoL and accessibility, before anything else.
A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
Tagged:

Comments

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 111
    edited April 27
    I've literally never seen anyone in-game even mention NL. It's a boondoggle with zero hype. They've squandered effort that could have gone toward getting at least one of the clients into non-embarrassing shape.
  • looploop Posts: 314
    edited April 27
    There isn’t any reason to do client-side updates as long as the team tolerates the use of third-party clients that outpace the official ones in every way possible. This lets the team focus on server-side features and skirt the unfortunate legacy (pun intended) of prior efforts to modernize the clients which were not successful.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,131
    loop said:
    There isn’t any reason to do client-side updates as long as the team tolerates the use of third-party clients that outpace the official ones in every way possible. This lets the team focus on server-side features and skirt the unfortunate legacy (pun intended) of prior efforts to modernize the clients which were not successful.
    Great idea.  They do not make other UO enhancements so they are not going to approve them.

If they did, every time someone had a question about them they would page a GM and ask questions. 

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • looploop Posts: 314
    Ehh, it’s not that bad. Consider it this way:

If the team actually bans the use of third-party clients then the game dies because many people use them just to enjoy the game.

If the team implement improvements to their own clients then they risk wasting their time. The other clients are already so much better and, besides, you have not just one but two clients. Any change you make targets only one segment of the population and risks alienating the other.

Unless they have more resources, the best thing to do concerning the clients is nothing, which is what they’ve been doing.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,131
    edited April 27
    Some of the things other clients do, is not going to be in the client UO would make.  So players are going to complain

They should not let other clients communicate with UO servers and then we would be equal and PvP might go back to EC for better macros.

I cant believe you can communicate with UO servers not using their clients.   Thats crazy to me, but I dont know the 1s and 0s associated.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.