"Mouths Of Decadence"

EM ObsidianEM Obsidian Posts: 321Event Moderator
edited February 10 in Catskills

Mouths Of Decadence

“Did you get enough food Miguel?” inquired Rubina. Chewing a mouthful of fresh bread, Miguel grinned and nodded. Rubina smirked and continued sauteing some fresh vegetables and herbs in an old skillet over some candles. As the pan was sizzling, Rubina sat back and leaned against the wall and pondered for several moments.

“I am almost certain it was her Miguel. But now that I recall the evening at the tavern, I am questioning if it was.” Said Rubina.

“Knowing you, I am sure you had too much to drink. How many of her did you see? One or two?” inquired Miguel as he chuckled. Rubina shook his head and smirked before replying:

“I was incredibly young at the time, still a child. Everything I can remember about her; well, it was all there! The complexion, the accent, the green eyes and even the birthmark!”

“I am only glad the Governors decided to help you after the scene you made. We would not have any of this without their help,” said Miguel. Rubina sighed deeply and nodded his head in acknowledgement. After stirring the sizzling vegetables and herbs for a few moments, Rubina took the skillet off of the flames from the candles and carefully scraped them into a second larger pot. He then took a pitcher of water that was on the table behind him and poured it into the pot. After adding some seasonings, he carefully placed the pot above the candles.

“It is going to be a while before this is ready Miguel. Has Jade returned yet?” inquired Rubina.

“I am not sure. She had spent much time going through the donations, dividing them up, rationing some things; and then she was to set out and deliver them throughout the slums.” Said Miguel as he took a large gulp of ale. He then continued:

“There are many scattered about, and I am sure she had to make many trips back and forth.”

Rubina nodded as he stirred the now simmering pot. After several minutes, the water in the pot began to boil and Rubina placed several banana fronds on top to cover the pot. After checking the candles to ensure they would burn long enough, Rubina stood up and began to unpack some of the supplies he was given.

“I genuinely appreciate the generosity of the Governors; Yew, Jhelom, Trinsic, Skara Brae. The people of Britannia have already given us much help dealing with those beasts the other week. Although we have something to help us get started, much more is needed for the people.” said Rubina. Miguel nodded as he finished his bottle of ale and placed it on the ground next to him. The two continued to assess their newfound fortunes of bread, flour, ale, potions, bandages and assorted dried meats, fish, and vegetables.

Rubina stood back and thought to himself for several moments. Although the fortunes of the poor had changed, he could not help but think about the woman he confronted in the tavern a few weeks prior.

“Do you think she is still alive Miguel?” inquired Rubina. Miguel paused sorting through the pile of vegetables and replied:

“We were young, so was she. I do hope her fortunes turned out better than ours have. You can always hope for that.”

“They just came one day, took her away. I still remember her frightened screams as they carried her off. Who knows how many times she has been bartered and traded off since then. If she is still alive, she could be anywhere.” said Rubina as he sighed deeply. He then continued:

“The green eyes. I distinctly remember the woman, and those eyes. When I saw that person at the tavern, I was sure it was her!”

Miguel bowed his head a bit to offer some sympathy for Rubina. He looked over and noticed a few tears welling up in his eyes.

“It is quite a burden to carry for as long as you have my friend. Do not worry, we will find what has become of your sister, eventually.” Said Miguel. Rubina nodded softly as he returned to a seat in the sand next to his pot of stew. He rested his head against the stone wall as he reached for a bottle of ale. After uncorking the bottle, and attempting to take a large gulp, the quiet evening was interrupted by screaming off in the distance. Rubina and Miguel looked at each other and quickly emerged from their dwelling. As they hurried down the street being careful not to step on debris, the dark night’s sky over the island of Nujel’m turned orange as the two approached a large fire.

“Please! Please sto…” Yelled Jade from the other side of the large fire. Rubina and Miguel observed several of the former Nujel’m guards and some mercenaries pushing and shoving Jade back and forth as they were laughing. Rubina’s anger turned to rage as he observed the undelivered supplies from the Governors that were now being scorched in the large fire.

Yelling and “You didn’t pay the tax!” “Where is our share!” “You filthy peasant!” Among other slurs could be heard from the men and mercenaries that were assaulting Jade.

“Stop this immediately you scum!” Yelled Rubina to one of the former guards. The guard turned his head, smirked, and walked over to where Rubina and Miguel were standing in horror.

“This doesn’t concern you, you… filth!” yelled the guard. He then forcefully swung the end of his halberd into the abdomen of Rubina who fell to the ground gasping for breath. The guard then looked over to Miguel who had put his hands up and taken a few steps back. The guard grinned as he looked over to the rest of his men and motioned for them to head back to the city proper. As the men began to disperse, Jade was thrown to the ground.

“Your days are numbered, filth!” exclaimed the guard as he looked down at Rubina and delivered a forceful kick to the rib cage. He then joined the other dispersing guards and mercenaries that were departing the slums.

Miguel looked on in disbelief at what had just transpired. He walked over to Rubina and leaned closer to offer aid to his friend.

“Are… are you alright?” Inquired Miguel. Rubina offered a painful nod and motioned for Miguel to assist Jade. Miguel nodded and ran over to where Jade had been laying. As he crouched down to roll Jade over to her back, he noticed her tattered and torn clothing, among other cuts and bruises from the assault. As Jade continued to sob, Miguel offered what comfort he could.

“Wh… Why would they do this?” Inquired Rubina as he gasped for air. Miguel sat with Jade, shaking his head in disbelief as he watched the donated provisions smolder away in the flames. He then asked:

“What will we do now?”

After a few moments of catching his breath, and grasping his side, Rubina replied:

“I have already asked so much from them, the citizens, and Governors alike. I do not wish to drag them further into this.”

Rubina exhaled a deep sigh and groaned in pain as he regained his senses. He then continued:

“I think I know someone else who can help us…”

https://www.facebook.com/em.obsidian 
eventmoderatorobsidian@gmail.com
fire.bmp 558.6K