Miner's ore Maps, does anyone use them ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,950
edited January 30 in General Discussions

These Maps, which, is my understanding, can be either gotten from the Void Pool or from BODs, come with a random number of ore charges to be mined up but, on average, I understand that they yield to a location with around 245ish ore that can be mined, per Map.

Which, when smelted, yields less then 500 ingots or even less, if the ore is an higher type with a higher fail chance to smelt...

Given the small quantity of Ore that these Maps give access to, I have the impression that they are not worth the trouble...

I mean, take a Miner's Valorite Map which takes 2,000 Void Pool points (which take time to build up) or, if from BODs, a hefty 1,150 points large BOD which means a Verite 20 Exceptional Platemail Large BOD.

Even assuming that when smelting the Valorite Ore digged from the Map, one was to get 490 valorite ingots (which is highly unlikely since the chance to smelt valorite ore into valorite ingots is, even at 105 mining skill with the gloves, only 62%), in order to get this small quantity of valorite ingots the player would have had to gather a Large Platemail BOD and 6 small ones, likely spend significant gold to bribe some or all of them up to Verite 20 exceptional and then, burn 2,000 verite ingots to fill in all the BODs.

So much trouble, time, gold to bribe the BODs and verite ingots resources invested to fill in the BODs to get only a small quantity of valorite ingots (300ish to 400ish, if even) ?

To me, this does not make any sense at all...

Does it make any sense to anyone else ? Or am I missing anything here in my thinking ?

Different it would be, if the Miner's ore Maps had multiple uses within their 24 hours of existance or lead to a location yielding several thousands of a given type of ore mined up per Map...

@Kyronix , perhaps these Maps should be rethought and made more appealing (yield more ore per Map), considering their high cost to get them ?

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited January 30
    This is why you have the Smelter's Talismans, in all metal forms, but especially for Valorite.

Valorite Talisman - 750 charges, has to be used in 24 hours.

Also a BOD reward, or Void Pool reward.

But yes, a lot of the older stuff, was way too detailed, complicated, and time-consuming.
    In a lot of ways, I sort of don't know what planet the Devs were on when they went into that mega detailed phase. They will always say - they were listening to a group of players, and I would say, what sort of dumb players have you been listening to.

It encouraged scripters, because there was no way to do that all manually. I almost think it was done in a golden age of players, where certain crafters were hardcore, and wanted more and more "difficulty" - but they left the player-base behind, then they dwindled in numbers, and we are left where we are, with impossible processes. My opinion, on so many of these issues, we never should have gone down that road. This is what happens, when you listen to Trammies, and why I am often so annoyed about them, and their thought processes.

Having vented. This is not the worst system, or solution, or final result. Lol. :)

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    Yes, I do. I claim 2 maps and 1 talisman from either Vela, in Felucca, or from a Felucca smith NPC if I'm using BoDs. I also have a character that has done all the tiers to claim elixir of conversion potions from https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/quests/thepem-and-zosilem-quests/
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    edited January 30
    Yes, I do. I claim 2 maps and 1 talisman from either Vela, in Felucca, or from a Felucca smith NPC if I'm using BoDs. I also have a character that has done all the tiers to claim elixir of conversion potions from https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/quests/thepem-and-zosilem-quests/
    May I ask, if you feel it worth your time and trouble ?

You mention claiming 2 maps and 1 talisman from Vela.... I assume (please correct me if I am wrong), that you mean 2 Miner's Valorite Maps (4,000 Void Pool points), and a Smelter's Valorite Talisman (500 Void Pool points) .

How long does it take you to build up those 4,500 Void Pool points, if I may ask ?

You mention Felucca, may I ask, on average, how much Large Ore do you collect from the location of the Map that you got either from Vela or from the NPC smithy claiming it with BODs ?

Isn't it more efficient and less time consuming to just go mine on a stretch and stock up whatever ore comes from the mining session, or hunt Pirate and Merchant Ships ?

I mean, spend time to build up Void Pool points or burn up 2,000 verite ingots for a 20 Exceptional Verite Platemail Large BOD and the 6 smalls that go with it, likely several of which bribed up with expenditure of gold and time to get all this done to claim a Miner's valorite ore Map and this, to get only 300-400 (if even) valorite ingots from a Miner's valorite ore Map ?
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    Mostly I'm mining Agapite, those I can get from small Tinker bods https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/tinkering/tinker-bulk-orders/
    And yes, it's worth my time, in several hours of mining I'm unlikely to gather the same number of agapite ingots as I could using maps and a talisman, I might get as many raiding ships, but even that would take more time than mining 2 maps. I collect them and mine them in Felucca, because then I get the Felucca double resource bonus. 

And, when you come right down to it, it's MY time and if I am in the mood to do a little peaceful mining rather than hunt for ships, it's my choice.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Mostly I'm mining Agapite, those I can get from small Tinker bods https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/tinkering/tinker-bulk-orders/
    And yes, it's worth my time, in several hours of mining I'm unlikely to gather the same number of agapite ingots as I could using maps and a talisman, I might get as many raiding ships, but even that would take more time than mining 2 maps. I collect them and mine them in Felucca, because then I get the Felucca double resource bonus. 

And, when you come right down to it, it's MY time and if I am in the mood to do a little peaceful mining rather than hunt for ships, it's my choice.
    You go girl.
  • GarretGarret Posts: 70
    Same, doing tinker bods for agapite and gold map, just need good bod amounts with a lot of fork/knifes etc bribe till valorite and ez craft with 20 ingots, have a lot of valorite from TH so it ez convertation for me.
    popps said:

You mention claiming 2 maps and 1 talisman from Vela.... I assume (please correct me if I am wrong), that you mean 2 Miner's Valorite Maps (4,000 Void Pool points), and a Smelter's Valorite Talisman (500 Void Pool points) .

How long does it take you to build up those 4,500 Void Pool points, if I may ask ?

You mention Felucca, may I ask, on average, how much Large Ore do you collect from the location of the Map that you got either from Vela or from the NPC smithy claiming it with BODs ?

Isn't it more efficient and less time consuming to just go mine on a stretch and stock up whatever ore comes from the mining session, or hunt Pirate and Merchant Ships ?

I mean, spend time to build up Void Pool points or burn up 2,000 verite ingots for a 20 Exceptional Verite Platemail Large BOD and the 6 smalls that go with it, likely several of which bribed up with expenditure of gold and time to get all this done to claim a Miner's valorite ore Map and this, to get only 300-400 (if even) valorite ingots from a Miner's valorite ore Map ?
    You know you can get maps from BODs, LOL
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    popps said:

In the time it took you to type this i pirated 3 ships for 2500 val...
  • Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

In the time it took you to type this i pirated 3 ships for 2500 val...
    Slacker . . .
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

:D 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108

If you use a Gargoyle Pickaxe, would you get Valorite ingots?  Or even a prospector tool?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    At least void pool points are useful.  These have junk on the vendor.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 174
    Hi Popps! Always good to have new players in UO!

For the mining maps here are a few pointers -

First claim your reward in Fel and the map will be in fel for 2x the rewards this maps yield essentially 1k-1.1k ingots.  

Second it is not required to fill a single bod to get the necessary points. You can store points and then claim when you reach the desired level so yes you could go with a Val large as a single bod or turn in a bunch of iron weapon large each getting you 90-100 points. So 10-11 of those for your Val map trading iron for Val. 

Next there are ways to reduce your smelting failure including mining gloves and Tali’s. No reason you can’t recall home with the ore and stack it up then claim a tali and smelt.  

Last the best ore one to do is gold since it’s a gold ex bod that then gives you a gold map.  Gold 10 EX tear kite shield bod requires 80 ingots.  Gold 10 EX buckler requires 100 ingots.  Do one of those and then a map yields a 900-1k ingot profit.  If you are looking for profitable and worthwhile ones - it’s hard to beat gold maps.  

Happy Mining!!
    Theo said:
    Hi Popps! Always good to have new players in UO!

For the mining maps here are a few pointers -

First claim your reward in Fel and the map will be in fel for 2x the rewards this maps yield essentially 1k-1.1k ingots.  

Second it is not required to fill a single bod to get the necessary points. You can store points and then claim when you reach the desired level so yes you could go with a Val large as a single bod or turn in a bunch of iron weapon large each getting you 90-100 points. So 10-11 of those for your Val map trading iron for Val. 

Next there are ways to reduce your smelting failure including mining gloves and Tali’s. No reason you can’t recall home with the ore and stack it up then claim a tali and smelt.  

Last the best ore one to do is gold since it’s a gold ex bod that then gives you a gold map.  Gold 10 EX tear kite shield bod requires 80 ingots.  Gold 10 EX buckler requires 100 ingots.  Do one of those and then a map yields a 900-1k ingot profit.  If you are looking for profitable and worthwhile ones - it’s hard to beat gold maps.  

Happy Mining!!
    Banking BOD points takes way to many BODs, even using LBODs, to get the points needed, it is best to find the BOD that gives you the map you want.  A Gold Map (700 points)  Chainmail 10X Dull Copper  A Val Map (1150 points) Plate 20X Verite LBOD