Do you think a veteran reward/item like this would be useful?

shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
edited January 27 in General Discussions
As I mentioned before, I like playing UO with a tamer and a crafter. I came up with an idea for a veteran reward.

You get a house decoration, that decoration allows you to upgrade 3 BODS for free every day. Would you guys be interested in something like this?

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    sounds like a good idea, But I think the upgrade with the npc is also a gold sink
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    Would be a nice gold sink
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Skett said:
    sounds like a good idea, But I think the upgrade with the npc is also a gold sink
    Can be a very big gold sink when trying to bribe up BODs.
    shootgun said:
    As I mentioned before, I like playing UO with a tamer and a crafter. I came up with an idea for a veteran reward.

You get a house decoration, that decoration allows you to upgrade 3 BODS for free every day. Would you guys be interested in something like this?
    You are talking about BRIBING BODs which is a gold sink. No thank you
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    I would rather they allow us to choose which way to bribe up a bod.

I can go to all the NPCs and still not get the bod that i want, because it doesn't go to exceptional. try again another day with same issue (if I have enough of the same bod to try again)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited January 29
    I think ideas like this, are too bitty, and verging on too complicated.

There are a lot more simple wins out there I think.

and as mentioned, Bribing BODs pretty much does this anyway, and is a gold sink which is positive.

• WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    i thought it be cool to get a vet reward that gave 1 peerless boss key a week
  • ShandaraShandara Posts: 34
    May I suggest something similar to this...an item that lets us drop smalls and returns a large BOD.  Personally, I average 8% return when turning in my junk smalls. Tailoring is especially important because every small goes into a large. Theo Baggins is the one who was mentioning it me.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    If we are talking about a Veteran Reward which would be useful with Bulk Order Deeds, what I would really like to see is a crafting bench which, once locked down, could hold unlimited resources which the crafter could access without the need to transfer them to the main backpack so as to be able to craft items for BODs more efficiently.

And it could be used together with the already existing crafting benches containing tools.

Or even better, it could be a crafting bench that contained both materials and tools and the crafter could use both off of one crafting bench.

And no, to my opinion it would not favour more scripters since, I understand, that already there might be scripts from unauthorized third party utilities which a player might be able to use to always drag resources from a container to the main backpack when needed so as to never run out.

To my opinion, the current situation only disfavours players who do not use such scripts who need to drag manually the resources from external containers to the main backpack, making the process possibly tedious, when having to fill in many BODs.

Such a Veteran Reward if it existed, would ease up and make more friendly, to my opinion, the crafting process when doing lots of BODs.
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 247
    edited January 30
    I think there are much simpler solutions... yes - I think there are indeed!
    If the NPC is the cause of my problem, then the solution starts here, and certainly not with additional items.

My suggestion: The moment I, the player, ask the worker NPC for a BOD, he should offer me whether I want a small or large BOD. So he should give me the choice of what I want to work on. The bribing of small bods on Exceptional should also be left out in any case, because it takes the gold out of the game again.

Vet-Rewars.... all well and good ... and if something like that comes, from which year will it be available ;)... 1 year, 5 years or only after 10 years? As a player who always wants to get started with my project straight away, do I still want to wait for a reward? Not really, do you?

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

edited January 30
    I think there are much simpler solutions... yes - I think there are indeed!
    If the NPC is the cause of my problem, then the solution starts here, and certainly not with additional items.

My suggestion: The moment I, the player, ask the worker NPC for a BOD, he should offer me whether I want a small or large BOD. So he should give me the choice of what I want to work on. The bribing of small bods on Exceptional should also be left out in any case, because it takes the gold out of the game again.

Vet-Rewars.... all well and good ... and if something like that comes, from which year will it be available ;)... 1 year, 5 years or only after 10 years? As a player who always wants to get started with my project straight away, do I still want to wait for a reward? Not really, do you?

I need to disagree.

Yes, Large BODs are a pain to get, perhaps, their spawn rate could be increased a bit but to give to the player the option to decide whether to be handed out a small or large BOD I see it as too much...

I prefer it to stay random and let the RNG decide.

Maybe, what could be introduced is the ability to turn in to the NPC a significant number of small BODs in order to be handed out a Large BOD of that type ?

One problem with BODs and their storage, is the large accumulation of small BODs retrieved in order to try to get Large BODs.

The banking of points was thought to address this issue but, unfortunately, at least to my opinion, the banking points given are so low, that most players, to my understanding, do not bother with the points banking system and they just claim BODs a go-go piling them up....

I mean, burn the resourcs, fill in the small BODs over and over and over with a great expenditure of time and resources and this to only accumulate a few meager banking points ?

No thank you.

May UO players much rather prefer to keep claiming BODs and pile them up on some vendor untl they get those Larges to use their enormous stock of small with...

Either the banking points should be seriously increased, and I mean seriously, or, in addition to banking points, it could be added an exchange system whereas, if a player offers to the NPC, say, one of each small bod needed to fill up a Large, (for example, 1x platemail small BOD for platemail gorgets, gloves, helm, arms, legs and tunic, that is, 6 small platemail BODs of the same likewise quantity and type, whether normal or exceptional as well as of the same material), the NPCs would take and delete those 6 small BODs and hand out a Large BOD of that same type, material, quantity and quality.

The player would now have a Large BOD and still need to use another 6 small BODs to fill it up...

This way, I would hope that, over time, the large stock of small BODs sitting in containers or on vendors would slowly reduce.
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 247
    edited January 30
    *wish not to quote*

I wish we still had the option of highlighting important statements in color!  Somehow it was clear that Popps was going to come up with another long rant and rebuttal. Or can men not stand the fact that women can also have clever thoughts *thinks*
    I've been playing the game for almost 24 years now and I've also got BODs, filled them and hoarded even more in case the right BODs for L-BODs finally came together, and the RNG thing always got on my nerves...

My emphasis in the bold part was on: First - and here I put the focus on this first ;) - the player should be involved by being able to make a CHOICE from an offer between S-BOD and L-BODs set by the game.  
    I - the player - then decide either for the S-BODs, or if I need an L-BOD - such as for the Artisan Events.

The system can then offer me a random list for the S-BODs and L-BODs. By giving the players the choice first, I also create the appreciation from the producer side that I as a player need for my further motivation. The game doesn't need any more items or other crude ideas, but sensible solutions that continue to excite players and make them stay !

Just my two cents ;)  ... a possible step to make UO great again ... o:)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    In a word, no. I don't think it would be a good idea. Drop 3 bods on it and get back none that went the way you hoped they would? Repeat that a few times and most would decide the thing was a waste of a reward pick. 
    Nor do I like popps'  idea, seems like a total 'gift' to scripters to me. 
    In a word, no. I don't think it would be a good idea. Drop 3 bods on it and get back none that went the way you hoped they would? Repeat that a few times and most would decide the thing was a waste of a reward pick. 
    Nor do I like popps'  idea, seems like a total 'gift' to scripters to me. 
    At least, though, banking points should be seriously increased.... would you agree with that ?

As of now, the banking points given are really too low, to my opinion, for the amount of time and of resources that go into filling up BODs making it not worth the trouble to do BODs with the Banking System....

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    I think the only time I've used the banking points is when collecting for the Artisan tree. If it's too much trouble for you, don't do it.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I've been known to do a few bods in my game time .... and I wouldn't want that as a bod reward. I would instead like the npcs to offer four choices when bribing: material, quality, amount and random. I wouldn't even mind different prices for these options. 

As for banking points, I just want them to make the points full whole numbers. I HATE the normal 10 value of .2; my OCD hates it. Making it a value of 1 would still take 450 smalls for powder of fort or 600 smalls for a horned kit. 

Finally, Popps idea of a Mega Crafter's Bench is as bad an idea as the first time he talked about it however many years ago that has been.
    edited January 30
    Marge said:
    I've been known to do a few bods in my game time .... and I wouldn't want that as a bod reward. I would instead like the npcs to offer four choices when bribing: material, quality, amount and random. I wouldn't even mind different prices for these options. 

As for banking points, I just want them to make the points full whole numbers. I HATE the normal 10 value of .2; my OCD hates it. Making it a value of 1 would still take 450 smalls for powder of fort or 600 smalls for a horned kit. 

Finally, Popps idea of a Mega Crafter's Bench is as bad an idea as the first time he talked about it however many years ago that has been.

I just fail to see the value in spending resources and time to fill 450 smalls with banking points to get a Powder of Fortification...

Much better, to my opinion, to wait for that 1 right BOD to be given by the NPC, perhaps with some bribing, rather then having to gather 450 small, use ingots to fill them and spend countless time in the process because banking points are so low...

As in regards to the idea of a Mega Crafter's Bench, if the concern is scripters and BOTs, well, don't we think that, as of now, there might not be scripts already out there available with certain non authorized Third Party utilities, that perhaps might make it possible to take whatever quantity of materials are needed from a locked down container into the character's main backpack, so as for the crafter to never run out of materials when crafting for BODs?

What I am trying to say is, that a Mega Crafter's Bench, at least to my humble opinion, would only even out a little the gameplay among UO players who use unauthorized Third Party utilities and their scripts and those UO players who instead do not use them.
    popps said:
    Marge said:

I just fail to see the value in spending resources and time to fill 450 smalls with banking points to get a Powder of Fortification...

Much better, to my opinion, to wait for that 1 right BOD to be given by the NPC, perhaps with some bribing, rather then having to gather 450 small, use ingots to fill them and spend countless time in the process because banking points are so low...

As in regards to the idea of a Mega Crafter's Bench, if the concern is scripters and BOTs, well, don't we think that, as of now, there might not be scripts already out there available with certain non authorized Third Party utilities, that perhaps might make it possible to take whatever quantity of materials are needed from a locked down container into the character's main backpack, so as for the crafter to never run out of materials when crafting for BODs?

What I am trying to say is, that a Mega Crafter's Bench, at least to my humble opinion, would only even out a little the gameplay among UO players who use unauthorized Third Party utilities and their scripts and those UO players who instead do not use them.
    Banking points are a waste of time and resources unless they give us full points anything less than that is useless, PERIOD.  Turn in your smalls and get another BOD.
  • TrallicTrallic Posts: 11
    Been playing since BODs were first introduced and Larges have always been a problem, if anything I'd say that a more fair change would simply be to have a guaranteed large pull every 10-20 smalls that were turned in. This would encourage participation in the system.

As far as a vet reward pick, BOD themed.. something storage related, the vendor method is janky and a bit exploitative.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    Thanks Shotgun for raising this. I think the Vet reward suggested is a good idea. I think for those that don't have multiple accounts or only 1 craftsperson it does take forever to get the bods you need to fulfill an order even with daily bod runs to the NPC. And if you have multiple accounts, smiths end up with a gazillion large dull copper bods and never get the smalls to fill them, even with bribing. On the shard I play most craftspeople share their bods so we have it better than many but even with that I still end up with the above.

I think discussing anything as a gold drop is pointless when it comes to crafting. Game gold used by crafters to bribe is not going to have any effect on the gold that people are complaining about. Bribe gold isn't even a drop in the gold buckets and I might be off base on this but I think the gold that's squirreled away by crafters is a pittance compared to those that play, say for scrolls or rares.

Because I tend to focus on BODs for Artisan Festival and I know that there are a few others in this thread that do as well (not naming names to protect the guilty) I would like to see something implemented as a reward system for dropping large bods on the elf. As we're reaching the end of the virtue/anti-virtue line of gifts for this event it might be a good idea to start tossing around some ideas on how to motivate, inspire and reward those that drop large bods.

One idea:
    Drop 10,000 bankable points on an elf and get an account bound, non-transferable token that allows you to pick 5 BODs of your choice.
    Drop 5,000 bankable points on the elf and get an account bound, non-transferable token that allows you to pick 4 BODs of your choice.
    Drop 1,000 bankable points on the elf and get an account bound, non-transferable token that gives you a 500 use sewing kit.

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited February 3
    I would like to thank everyone for their input. After reading everything in the forum I think something like following would be better.

A house addon that allows you to upgrade or exchange bods. The difference between this and the NPC is that, this addon lets you chose the upgrade type.

So instead of giving a bod to an NPC and getting a random upgrade, you can select the upgrade you want. If you have a gold normal bod, and you need glod exceptional bod, you can select the exceptional upgrade, pay the appropriate gold, and get a guaranteed exceptional bod.

It can also have an exchange function, you give it 5-10 small bods, and it is guaranteed to give you a large bod in exchange for the bods you gave it.

What do you guys think?

@shootgun how often would this reward be available, every day, once a week, once a month?  How many BODs per session?
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    Not a bad idea if the price was maybe 10 or 20 times the price of NPC.
    Good gold sink.
    edited February 3
    @ shootgun how often would this reward be available, every day, once a week, once a month?  How many BODs per session?

I do not have access to the game data or metricts to make an educated guess. The devs need to decide that after looking at current player behavion, and desired gold sink.

May be they can make it infinite but increase the gold sink after each use? Something like start with 100 gold, increase the gold by 10 times after each use, and cut the gold requirement by 3 after 6 hours.

So:
    • First upgrade is 100 gold.
    • Next is 1000 gold.
    • Next is 10000 gold.
    • You wait 6 hours without an upgrade.
    • Next is 3333 gold.
    • Next is 33330 gold.
    • Next is 333300.
    • You wait 6 hours, it is now 111100.
    • You wait another 6 hours, it is now 37033.
    • Next upgrade it 37033.
    • Next upgrade is 370330.

As I said I do not know about the game to make this decision. I was just winging in while typing this. This way poor people can wait in between upgrades and they wont be able to float the market. But rich people can throw money at the problem increasing the gold sink with each bod.

What do you guys think?

shootgun said:
    @ shootgun how often would this reward be available, every day, once a week, once a month?  How many BODs per session?

I do not have access to the game data or metricts to make an educated guess. The devs need to decide that after looking at current player behavion, and desired gold sink.

May be they can make it infinite but increase the gold sink after each use? Something like start with 100 gold, increase the gold by 10 times after each use, and cut the gold requirement by 3 after 6 hours.

So:
    • Next is 1000 gold.
    • Next is 10000 gold.
    • Next is 3333 gold.
    • Next is 33330 gold.
    • Next is 333300.
    • Next upgrade it 37033.

As I said I do not know about the game to make this decision. I was just winging in while typing this. This way poor people can wait in between upgrades and they wont be able to float the market. But rich people can throw money at the problem increasing the gold sink with each bod.

What do you guys think?

So basically what you want is a NPC at your house that will upgrade BODs (no matter what type).  Sure would save me a lot of time upgrading BODs recalling to all the different shops.  Just make them work the same as the current NPCs do and after so long of non use they revert back to 0.
    shootgun said:

So:
    • Next is 1000 gold.
    • Next is 10000 gold.
    • Next is 3333 gold.
    • Next is 33330 gold.
    • Next is 333300.
    • Next upgrade it 37033.

What do you guys think?

So basically what you want is a NPC at your house that will upgrade BODs (no matter what type).  Sure would save me a lot of time upgrading BODs recalling to all the different shops.  Just make them work the same as the current NPCs do and after so long of non use they revert back to 0.
    Yup yup, also the NPC at home should let us pick the type of the upgrade, as well as convert 5 to 10 small bods to a large bod.

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    How about the item lets you unlock a hidden option when bribing NPCs that lets you tell the NPC how you want to upgrade the BoD. Of course at extra cost to you.
    shootgun said:
    shootgun said:

So:
    • Next is 1000 gold.
    • Next is 10000 gold.
    • Next is 3333 gold.
    • Next is 33330 gold.
    • Next is 333300.
    • Next upgrade it 37033.

What do you guys think?

Yup yup, also the NPC at home should let us pick the type of the upgrade, as well as convert 5 to 10 small bods to a large bod.

ok
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    shootgun said:

So:
    • Next is 1000 gold.
    • Next is 10000 gold.
    • Next is 3333 gold.
    • Next is 33330 gold.
    • Next is 333300.
    • Next upgrade it 37033.

What do you guys think?

then it would be 3 bribes in one session. 

I do love the idea of a vet reward station that you can choose the direction of bribing a bod.

but don't like the above suggestion for bribing amounts. doing huge gold sinks into bods, will only drive up the costs of the items that crafters sell. I do lot of bods but usually don't do it for making a profit. Its for my own use or for the Artisan Festival. If I do sell items, All my funds from crafting goes towards purchases for holiday boxes. 
    Thanks everyone for their help so far. Do you guys know if there is a way to ask the dev team whether or not something like this would be in their radar? May be ask @Mesanna @Mesanna1 and @Kyronix ?