Chesapeake, Great Lakes and Catskills Servers : why they have so much a different Latency ?

I was checking with the Enhanced Client Log in the Latency shown fo the various servers and I noted that, for me, the Catskills server has a roughly 2 times worse Latency as compared to Chesapeake and Great Lakes servers, with Chesapeake and Great Lakes having the same Latency for me. Just Catskills, for reasons that I cannot understand, shows a much worse Latency for me.

Aren't those 3 servers moreless located in the same area and, thus, should have moreless a similar Latency ?

Does anyone know ?

Comments

• The route to them is specific to where you are. Since those three areas aren’t right next to each other, you could be taking a different route to each. Again, dependent on where you are sitting currently. Have you done a tracert to see if there’s a bad hop?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    The route to them is specific to where you are. Since those three areas aren’t right next to each other, you could be taking a different route to each. Again, dependent on where you are sitting currently. Have you done a tracert to see if there’s a bad hop?
    Thank you for the clarification... is it known where the various UO servers are physically located so as to figure out better to which ones a player might be closer to ?
  • lolaiurlolaiur Posts: 1
    edited December 2023
    Long time lurker but I felt compelled to make an account here because this is something I find very interesting.

Around this time last year, I dug around to try to understand the UO infrastructure a bit better. 

The Server IP list on Stratics is a bit dated but you can still verify what the server IP is by doing a packet capture or netstat command. Most of the traffic should be on port 5002. 

Once you have the IP you can do an nslookup on it. What this typically reveals is a hostname for the server. What I saw (at least as of last year) was that the servers retained the default DNS name that they received upon deployment within Amazon AWS. The good thing here is that most of the time you can see which AWS region the servers are deployed into. 

For instance, Pacific is deployed in AWS' us-west-1 region or N. California. Where, specifically, in N. California are those servers are located is not something that AWS makes readily available. My current employment has me working with AWS as a very large spending enterprise customer and they withhold exact addresses but you could always get on Google Maps and probably figure it out, at least within the general vicinity and not the specific data center. 

Unfortunately for the servers that you listed, they all resolve to default hostname with no regional information other than "compute-1". What this most likely means is that they either reside in us-east-1 or us-west-1 (N. Virginia or N. California) because it was a legacy AWS DNS naming standard.

This information probably doesn't help much but I hope that it at least provides some clarity on where the servers may reside. 

In addition to tracert, you may run a ping <server-ip> -t for a few minutes during the times you wish to play (you may stop this by pressing ctrl+c). Once done you can then look at latency min/max/avg and lost responses. This may tell you which server's region & path are more performant from your location. 
    lolaiur said:
    Long time lurker but I felt compelled to make an account here because this is something I find very interesting.

Around this time last year, I dug around to try to understand the UO infrastructure a bit better. 

The Server IP list on Stratics is a bit dated but you can still verify what the server IP is by doing a packet capture or netstat command. Most of the traffic should be on port 5002. 

Once you have the IP you can do an nslookup on it. What this typically reveals is a hostname for the server. What I saw (at least as of last year) was that the servers retained the default DNS name that they received upon deployment within Amazon AWS. The good thing here is that most of the time you can see which AWS region the servers are deployed into. 

For instance, Pacific is deployed in AWS' us-west-1 region or N. California. Where, specifically, in N. California are those servers are located is not something that AWS makes readily available. My current employment has me working with AWS as a very large spending enterprise customer and they withhold exact addresses but you could always get on Google Maps and probably figure it out, at least within the general vicinity and not the specific data center. 

Unfortunately for the servers that you listed, they all resolve to default hostname with no regional information other than "compute-1". What this most likely means is that they either reside in us-east-1 or us-west-1 (N. Virginia or N. California) because it was a legacy AWS DNS naming standard.

This information probably doesn't help much but I hope that it at least provides some clarity on where the servers may reside. 

In addition to tracert, you may run a ping <server-ip> -t for a few minutes during the times you wish to play (you may stop this by pressing ctrl+c). Once done you can then look at latency min/max/avg and lost responses. This may tell you which server's region & path are more performant from your location. 
    Thank you very much for the comprehensive informations on the topic, I have been using ping and tracert to UO servers but what recently puzzled me was this thing that I found at the EC log in section my Latency to the Chesapeake and Great Lakes servers to be the exact same while that to the Catskills server to be more then twice as worse....

Since I "think", but without knowing where the UO Servers are geographically located this is really hard to say, that I was located closer to the "Catskills" server rather then to the Chesapeake and Great Lakes servers, I found it odd that my Latency to the Catskills server was more then twice as bad as that to the Chesapeake and Great Lakes servers...
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    edited December 2023
    popps said:
    The route to them is specific to where you are. Since those three areas aren’t right next to each other, you could be taking a different route to each. Again, dependent on where you are sitting currently. Have you done a tracert to see if there’s a bad hop?
    Thank you for the clarification... is it known where the various UO servers are physically located so as to figure out better to which ones a player might be closer to ?
    this is the list i could find. it may not be accurate. I'm sure @Mariah can give us the correct list if not.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    popps said:
    this is the list i could find. it may not be accurate. I'm sure @ Mariah can give us the correct list if not.
    I'm sorry, I do not have that information. All I have is the maintenance times, which lists only east USA, west USA, Japan, Europe, Australia, Korea Taiwan.
    I don't believe there has been an updated list since they began using Amazon

Mariah said:
    popps said:
    this is the list i could find. it may not be accurate. I'm sure @ Mariah can give us the correct list if not.
    I'm sorry, I do not have that information. All I have is the maintenance times, which lists only east USA, west USA, Japan, Europe, Australia, Korea Taiwan.

Thanks, do you know when UO started to use Amazon ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I'm sorry, I don't.
  • Lord_ObsidianLord_Obsidian Posts: 1
    edited December 2023
    Mariah said:

I started this list back in 2011 when a couple of shards got new IPs. Afaik it is still valid / last verified by me in march 2023:

AWS is indeed quite secretive about the locations of their data centers (as many providers are), but you can find some clues on their website.