My character is being used in a story without my permission

PitrPitr Posts: 163
Dear fellow players,

It seems someone is spreading that my character Pitr, the Governor of New Magincia is "moving gold from New Magincia to Britain and our ships are being captured."

"You can't say someone's character is doing something for them without their knowledge or permission.. That's meta gaming."

"For fiction in general, writing a story that merely "mentions" a character, is not bad etiquette. If the story were to dictate something about that character, for example, speech or action, that is where a line is crossed."

You can decide for yourselves what this is:
https://playersofroles.proboards.com/thread/2411/plundered-gold

What would you do if it was your character and your story?

Kind regards,
Pitr

Comments

• Yet you go on random discords and post lies about RPers then when proven wrong ign ore the truth
    Jaden Rain
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,319
    With all the names in this game, if all they did was use your name, I guess I could not complain about that.  If you really are the governor, they should have at least informed you ahead of time that your name as being used in a story. Does not surprise me they did not though.  There seems to be an overall lack of oversight, coordination and quality control in today’s UO.  Would guess the agreement you made with UO when you became governor allows them to use your character in stories but given everything else I have seen would not assume that.
    edited May 2023
    Sorry, read your posts second time.  Apparently this is a non UO team issue.  Sorry UO.  Don’t  follow stuff like that.  Did not know it existed.  Agree with your post.  Not sure what you can do.  Might contact UO staff they likely have some familiarity with your issue.
    Interesting question.  Who has the rights to the use of a fictional character played by a player in a computer game?  Any budding law students out there that can better define the issues involved and their conclusions.
  • It wasn't a story posted it was a letter about opinions and The problem could be settled if this poster would go directly to the problem an speak to the person instead of posting this
    Jaden Rain
  • and this poster posts things in random discords and lies about others so perhaps that got this going
    Jaden Rain
  • PitrPitr Posts: 163
    personal attacks coming from you don't disturb me :)
  • No attacks from me I do not attack anyone, that is you when you post lies about RPers in random discords
    Jaden Rain
  • Maybe try talking with the people you have problems with instead of just posting it so you can get pitty first
    Jaden Rain
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,259
    WOW @Pitr I guess your roleplaying took a wrong turn somewhere.  You might want to ask @Mariah to lock this.
  • PitrPitr Posts: 163
    edited May 2023
    WOW @ Pitr I guess your roleplaying took a wrong turn somewhere.  You might want to ask @ Mariah to lock this.

Nah, it is a lot of fun seeing this lady like this  :)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,994Moderator
    I think I have an inkling of what is behind all this, and I don't think it really belongs here.
This discussion has been closed.