Karma Lock

Why is it, evil characters can lower their Karma and then lock it, so that they can perform good deeds without gains, yet Good characters can't lock their Karma and do bad deeds without loss ? In other words, why can you lock out gains, but not lock out losses ? That's never made sense to me @Kyronix .
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Likely because there is an actual benefit to having max karma (Chivalry works off your karma as well as skill) where as necromancy (which gives you negative karma) doesn't and there really isn't any benefit (or negative) to having negative karma.

I think negative karma has always been kind of a roleplay thing, where it was actually work to be a Dread Lord 20+ years ago (before karma lock). Many years ago shop vendors wouldn't sell to Dread Lords but I don't think it works that way anymore. So if you made the choice to get as negative as possible you were actually limiting your options for that character.

I do not think you should be able to lock karma from going down because that's essentially what keeps someone on the righteous path (imo) given that it benefits an entire skill. The one thing I'd probably agree with you on though is that the things you lose karma for is a little weird... I don't think you should lose karma from resurrecting (fame sure... karma no).
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    Keven pretty much nailed it.

The implementation of the negative karma lock came back in the day when Dread Lords wanted to keep their titles despite being sometimes forced into a karma gaining situation. 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited March 2023
    Oh  well, why change something that was implemented 20 yrs ago that no one cares about now....nvm Thank you anyway
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    Being good is a commitment.  Being bad is better.
  • Oh  well, why change something that was implemented 20 yrs ago that no one cares about now....nvm Thank you anyway
    lol "no one." Way to over-extrapolate.

As a friend of yours once said, in a far less appropriate context, it's not broken, right, so leave it.