Thru Goblish Eyes

(Disclaimer - this is not my fiction. I am posting it for Torg by his request.)
Torg sat quietly in the dark house, thinking.  He was bone tired from his responsibility as Governor of Britain and more than a little overwhelmed by the events at the Governor's monthly conference with the King a few days past.  How could anyone commit cold blooded murder, especially of Torg's own "kin." And the fact that is was a blatant act by another Governor? There had to be consequences, but the silly old King just said "talk it out"  Torg thought, "Mees neber gonna forgibs dis, and maybe dat red gobbo bees right, humans bees bad, and neber learn."

Even as he thought it, Torg admitted there were plenty of decent honorable,if totally crazy, humans. In fact he was sitting in the house of one as a guest.  Of course, when Zoe Bean found out he had once again failed to remember to use the pee stump she left outside for him and instead used a potted plant he knew he was due a stern lecture.  

As if on cue, Torg heard a door open and close and a familiar voice exclaim,  "What is that awful smell!? Torg, you little mutated son of a mongbat, did you "water my plants" again?"  

"Yerg" Torg replied, "mees sorry".  

Zoe started to retort, then stopped, staring at Torg.  "You are sorry? No running away or trying to hide? Something terrible must have happened for you to be here and not at your office in Britain, and being polite? This is almost unheard of. Let me grab you a skunked mushroom ale, and we can discuss what's going on."

Torg began by explaining the vegetable fields around Britain, and the turnip fields in particular, had all been wilted and lifeless, and Torg suspected poisoning. "At first mees thunk da udder gubnors did it cuz dems hates usins. Eben before da murder usins knowd dems neber accept usins. And now demz sayin udder stuffs like dat usins kills dems and eats dems?"  

At this Zoe laughed out loud,  "You won't even eat chickens, as you see them as equals, and they are accusing you of eating humans? How is this possible?"  

"Mees dunno" replied Torg.  "Mees was takin da day off twaddling turnips an huntin mushrooms when mees was attacked by a noble, who sed mees was gonna eats his famly! Mees slapped dat hummy silly wif a fishy and ran away."  

"Did you at least steal his shineys?" asked Zoe.  

"Yerg" said Torg, handing over several gold coins.  "yoos uses dis to buy usins turnip ice creems."

Zoe considered everything that had been said, handed Torg another ale,  then asked  "What do you know of the origins of your type? I'm no expert but legend has it your species was an experiment gone dreadfully wrong by ancient mages.  It turned out sentient creatures cannot be easily controlled or enslaved. You were then enslaved again by Exodus as minions, but managed to survive and escape to the Abyss and live peacefully. It's also said after many generations a Wizard named Tyball showed up started creating dissent among the tribes."

Torg replied vehemently, "Dat name is Ebil! Usins tink was hims dat tricked some ob da greys into makin us slabes. Dems too dumb to know dat dems was slabes too. Dat wizard told da greys dat ebryone hates usins all and da only way to keep livin was to follow himz and make war on ebryone else. Hims never cared about usins, but wees was his army. Why yoos axin me all dis?"  

Zoe said "I'm just trying to understand why everyone sees all goblins as monsters. It seems you have spent much time as a species trying to escape monsters. And sadly, you still are."  

To be continued....