What should I do with this old Swordswoman?

I mostly play a tamer or a fisher, never really got into melee. My first ever character has been sitting idle for years. I think I last played her pretty shortly after AOS and then switched to mostly taming. I am pretty sure she is quite outdated and I would like to try and update the template because I created her probably in 1998 and she deserves some playtime

Skills:
Swords 110
Tac 110
Anat 100.4
Heal 100
Parry 94
Chiv 69
The rest is in totally random skills. What should I do with this?

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Others will provide better answers.  But for myself, I would get a soldiers metal for about 10 million gold and use it to take tactics to 120.  The tactics scroll will cost you about 100 million gold if you need one. If you are playing at Deceit, I would get the sterling silver ring to raise swordsmanship to 120.  Swordsmanship scrolls run around 14 million gold.  Assuming you are a long time player and lots of gold and don’t want to invest a lot of time training skills up to 120.  For the long term others should provide better answers than this one.  I believe taking the six skills you have to 120 is still a very viable template.  You could also think about Bushido and spellweaving.  There are some excellent templates listed in other discussions in this forum.  You might consider doing a few searches here. 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    edited October 2022
    Take swords to 120 (katana) or switch to fencing (leafblade). Put the rest at 100. Add 99/100 necro for vamp form and you can have a shield using samp. 

A lot of shields have swing speed increase and damage increase. 

It won't hit as hard as the axe samps but it'll be a lot cheaper and it'll still do the job. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Drop parry add resisting spells take all 6 skills 120 get a decent shield and radiant scimitar and you can gow do event as you train 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2022
    If you want to leave the character as is, but max the skills, that is a perfectly viable template for most of the game. If you can find a partner to x-heal, the two of you can take down everything in the game.

If you want to make some skill changes, look at the numerous other builds that use necro for life or mana leech, or bushido. There are as many templates for melee fighters at this point as there are players.

--
    For reference, the current template I'm using in Deceit is:
    120 Swordsmanship
    120 Tactics
    120 Anatomy
    120 Healing
    120 Parry
    120 Chivalry

Str 148
    Dex 150
    Intel 17

My gear is mostly looted, and I would say high-middleish in terms of intensity, with much room for improvement. I have not yet built any custom weapons for the event and so am at a fraction of potential power. I am averaging 10ish drops an hour but have seen as high as 14, no potions, and have claimed the Vambraces, Boots, and Talisman.

Without Resist I have to really watch the debuffs and use Remove Curse frequently. However, I can solo all of the paragons in Deceit in less than 2 min (I use the EoO buff as a timer) and can frequently deal with multiple paragons at once, except multiple rams and/or poison eles. I end up picking up a lot of the stuff other players leave behind.

I would like to increase my power with custom weapons but haven't bothered yet as EoO and CW have gotten me by so far.

If you stay pure Paladin, I would strongly suggest getting your Karma to 32k, as that has significant effect on the Chivalry buffs.

--
    Urge's suggestion of a Katana is a good one, as both Double Strike and Armor Ignore would be available on a single weapon. However, you will be dealing less damage.

I would suggest three separate 1 hand weapons, situation dependent:
    1. Double Strike - Scimitar (12-16 base damage)
    2. Armor Ignore - Longsword (14-18 base damage)
    3. Whirlwind - Bladed Whip (13-17 base damage)

The Scimitar also has Paralyzing Blow, which can be very handy if employed correctly.

As a paladin, you don't really need 100% ele damage on your weapons. It's nice if you don't want to cast CW all the time. However, anything above 51% will allow you to use the Swordsmanship mastery Onslaught to reduce the opponents resist in that damage. So, you can set your weapon damage to a creature's lowest resist, drop it even further with Onslaught, and then use CW to drive all your damage there. It's quite effective, makes the weapons much less expensive, but does require a lot of interaction.

--
    Good luck!
    -Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2022
    Kills all the paragons in Deceit.
    Similar to what you have just Bushido is added.
    120 swords for the Mastery.
    I use a Fire undead Double axe, a Cold  Elemental slayer Double Axe.
    Double axe has WW and Double strike.
    AI does no more damage on Rams than normal hit.
    Eat Orange petals and Apples.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Possibilities are endless and everyone has good ideas except dropping parry for resist. Bad idea. 

Resist can easily be replaced by using backpack items and chiv spells. 

It would help if you had an idea if you want to go straight warrior or samp, cheap or all out. 
    Urge said:
    Possibilities are endless and everyone has good ideas except dropping parry for resist. Bad idea. 

Resist can easily be replaced by using backpack items and chiv spells. 

It would help if you had an idea if you want to go straight warrior or samp, cheap or all out. 
    I tried both 120 parry and resisting straight pally warriors i get hit just as much with parry and cursed paralyzed longer what makes parry better pvm only 
    A trap box macro will break para from anything. Apples and chiv remove curse fixes curse. 

I'd personally rather roll the dice on a parry roll than play it safe with a random curse. 
    Urge said:
    A trap box macro will break para from anything. Apples and chiv remove curse fixes curse. 

I'd personally rather roll the dice on a parry roll than play it safe with a random curse. 
    I've always thought the majority of attacks we face were of magical rather than physical? 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2022
    I have yet to be killed with paralyze from casters or Rams(physical). some rapid heartbeat but the mobs seem to miss while I am paralyzed.

You can put apples on a key in EC. I also build with extra stamina to avoid hit speed slowdown. The casters do like to Clumsy you.

Love how Kyronix put the stamina to 10 on the sleeves!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I will make this character a pure paladin and then maybe spring for a mythic token and try a sampire separately at some point.

For this one I bought a couple 120 scrolls and 115s as I could afford and am going to work on getting my skills up between decoing and playing other half built characters. I am going to try to grab the arms and the Divinium Luminous from this event for her and see where that all goes!
  • Parry counts towards mana reduction for special moves on weapons, as opposed to resist. With proction on, just cast remove curse. Also, as far as I remember, you need to maintain 140 dex (i.e. not stamina) for max bandage speed, so you want to overcap dex in case you get cursed (which happens with or without resist anyway). 
  • As others have pointed out, there are many, many options.

So the real question is: What do you want the character to be? And/or what does the character want to be?
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    I mostly play a tamer or a fisher, never really got into melee. My first ever character has been sitting idle for years. I think I last played her pretty shortly after AOS and then switched to mostly taming. I am pretty sure she is quite outdated and I would like to try and update the template because I created her probably in 1998 and she deserves some playtime

Skills:
    Swords 110
    Tac 110
    Anat 100.4
    Heal 100
    Parry 94
    Chiv 69
    The rest is in totally random skills. What should I do with this?

I've posted up a number of my Warrior builds in the thread here:

Exciting alternative warrior builds - suggestions wanted | Stratics Community Forums

Lots of different options.  If you're looking for a powerful build, my suggestion would be to turn your warrior into a sampire, first step being to remove Healing and replace with Necro for Vamp form.   From there you can decide what mix of Bushido/Parry/Anat/Chiv/Resist Spells you want to fit your play style and intentions for the build.   There's a TON of sampire threads in the Warrior forum on Stratics to reference. Good luck!