Troll Slaying Items

I've been trying to find information on why troll slayer is such a rare property (in comparative terms) and I can find nothing. Why is this? We need more troll slaying items in-game.

When you think about it, trolls are among the most-dangerous and yet most-common monsters to NPCs (us players have built up acceptable to superb gear over the years of course so for these purposes we don't count!), so there should be more troll slayer items out there in the world. It would be much better world building. And would help PvP because many trolls spawn around the Yew Moongate and occasionally can interfere with the PvP fighting and it'd be better if they could be 1-hitted instead of 2-hitted.

The only possible competitor for trolls along this score is ogres and they are just not as iconic for UO as are trolls. Ogres are more common in other environments such as D&D.

I understand that not every nuisance monster can have its own slayer as a common spawn. But trolls are absolutely iconic to UO, so it definitely should have its own slayer as commonly spawned. Anyone know why it's not?

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I thought you meant for those trolls inside this forum.  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Trolls…. dangerous?
  • dvvid said:
    Trolls…. dangerous?

I was clear that I meant to the NPCs. Here's the exact phrase:

"When you think about it, trolls are among the most-dangerous and yet most-common monsters to NPCs (us players have built up acceptable to superb gear over the years of course so for these purposes we don't count!), so there should be more troll slayer items out there in the world. It would be much better world building."
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Oh my bad I overlooked that. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Maybe we have a symbiotic relationship with NPCs where we protect them from trolls?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    so there should be more troll slayer items out there in the world.

Maybe i missed the entire point but troll slayer weps can be imbued. 
  • Pawain said:
    Maybe we have a symbiotic relationship with NPCs where we protect them from trolls?

If that's the case we're not holding up out end of the bargain. I see trolls 'round these parts every day.
  • Urge said:
    so there should be more troll slayer items out there in the world.

Maybe i missed the entire point but troll slayer weps can be imbued. 

Yes you can Imbue one if you can find one but to my knowledge you can't put "Troll Slayer" on something that doesn't have it. Also they don't seem to spawn as loot anywhere near as often as they should. Consequently, there are a lot of trolls 'round these parts.
  • Marge said:

So what ingredients does one use to Imbue Troll Slayer? There are certainly too many trolls 'round these parts.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    5 magical residue-10 emerald-10 white pearl
  • Back in the pre-AoS days, Trolls were dangerous to non-multi GM chars, and Frost Trolls remained dangerous to even skilled Warriors. Nowadays, Trolls are a joke, even to newb chars. If they had extremely high HP Regen which was only stopped when being hit by Fire damage, they'd be more challenging.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Back in the pre-AoS days, Trolls were dangerous to non-multi GM chars, and Frost Trolls remained dangerous to even skilled Warriors. Nowadays, Trolls are a joke, even to newb chars. If they had extremely high HP Regen which was only stopped when being hit by Fire damage, they'd be more challenging.
    And you gotta cut off the head and burn them 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Back in the pre-AoS days, Trolls were dangerous to non-multi GM chars, and Frost Trolls remained dangerous to even skilled Warriors. Nowadays, Trolls are a joke, even to newb chars. If they had extremely high HP Regen which was only stopped when being hit by Fire damage, they'd be more challenging.

Sadly, trolls are more dangerous and more numerous than I think you think is the case.

McDougle said:
    Back in the pre-AoS days, Trolls were dangerous to non-multi GM chars, and Frost Trolls remained dangerous to even skilled Warriors. Nowadays, Trolls are a joke, even to newb chars. If they had extremely high HP Regen which was only stopped when being hit by Fire damage, they'd be more challenging.

Not a bad idea.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742

Sadly, trolls are more dangerous and more numerous than I think you think is the case.

McDougle said:

Not a bad idea.
    I think everyone has missed your sarcasm..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • McDougle said:

McDougle said:

Not a bad idea.
    I think everyone has missed your sarcasm..

Sadly I think you are correct. I thought it was almost too obvious. I was wrong. Distressing.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Repond slayer is enough.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs