25 Years...

Comments

• McDougle said:
    The overly heavy handed moderating is in fact one of the issues as posters are fearful of expressing anything that might be perceived as criticism. Where if not here are customers to go ? 
    Feel free to DM me whatever it is you want to say or you can always find me on Discord. I want to be able to understand the good and the bad without anyone needing to worry about things. I want to know so much as I am sure most of us do. 

An open line of dialogue with the devs is highly needed and I think it can be done if we all work together.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    If you want an recent example. Look at how the “surprise, it’s over” July 1st ending date for collecting eggs was handled by the team.  You won’t have to look to far back to find the discussions posted here.  
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    McDougle said:
    The overly heavy handed moderating is in fact one of the issues as posters are fearful of expressing anything that might be perceived as criticism. Where if not here are customers to go ? 
    Feel free to DM me whatever it is you want to say or you can always find me on Discord. I want to be able to understand the good and the bad without anyone needing to worry about things. I want to know so much as I am sure most of us do. 

An open line of dialogue with the devs is highly needed and I think it can be done if we all work together.
    I think you should start with the refusal to reply to threads about scripting and third party programs ask for an updated official list of allowed programs 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:

I think you should start with the refusal to reply to threads about scripting and third party programs ask for an updated official list of allowed programs 
    Why not invite mesanne to your stream to discuss this and the upcoming anniversary and NL
  • McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:

Why not invite mesanne to your stream to discuss this and the upcoming anniversary and NL
    Everyone is welcomed to join me on stream, but if I were to invite her I would want to set it up in an interview format and I am sure I will need to earn some trust before any dev just sits down with me or whatever it is I have in my head. I am not trying to ambush or put anyone on the spot but with a little time and effort I am sure I can earn that.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Well, they are indeed obnoxiously heavy handed in their moderation. 

And they seem to have forgotten what the NEWSLETTER was all about... heck, they have completely forgotten about it altogether and don't seem to send it anymore...

they are accountable for that. First they create a newsletter and then they don't make it and leave everyone hanging.. very much their bad on a bed they themselves made.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Maybe they are busy with the launch of NLS, preparing speeches, marketing posters, release videos, etc. No one is free to do forum post, newsletter, debugging, etc... 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    You cracking me up tonight!  :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited July 2022
    Seth said:
    Maybe they are busy with the launch of NLS, preparing speeches, marketing posters, release videos, etc. No one is free to do forum post, newsletter, debugging, etc... 

Yea that's a good one @Seth. I laughed a little bit myself when I read this. Preparing speeches? Haha.

Not posting on the forum or even setting up the defect list is understandable as those can take a good chunk of time. However - a simple newsletter updating the player base on what they've been working on the past 3-4 months since the last newsletter and what they plan on working on until the next newsletter should take them all of maybe 4 hours (and that's overly generous). This gives me a sense that they haven't really been doing much(or have much in the pipeline). I'm sure I am wrong on that but that is unfortunately the perception it gives.

Can you imagine going somewhere like a tailor shop to be fitted for a suit/dress and then months go by without any updates from the tailor about the status of your suit/dress... all while you are making your monthly payments to them for this work? You don't even know if they have a single sleeve done over the last 4 months, let alone an entire jacket. Would anyone use that tailor again? I find it hard to believe people would say "well maybe they are just busy doing other stuff". 
  • keven2002 said:
    Can you imagine going somewhere like a tailor shop to be fitted for a suit/dress and then months go by without any updates from the tailor about the status of your suit/dress... all while you are making your monthly payments to them for this work? You don't even know if they have a single sleeve done over the last 4 months, let alone an entire jacket. Would anyone use that tailor again? I find it hard to believe people would say "well maybe they are just busy doing other stuff". 
    I would want my dang dress...
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    The Dev Team has an incredible tool for communication here, these forums, THEIR forums. My guess is that they probably would use it more if they're not torn a new one every which way from Sunday on everything they post. I see it as a catch 22 for the Dev team. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. That being said, the Dev Team, in my opinion, has the responsibility to communicate news. Post what you think is important, take a deep breath, know you're going to get righteous opinions by every Tom, Dick and Harry no matter what you post and carry on. You can only do the right thing at the right time and for the right reasons.

Honestly, the lack of communication these past months and the steady decline of communication over the past years is starting to make me wonder about the future. We've lost the streaming, the regular newsletters, Five on Friday, etc. I for one would appreciate hearing regular information from the Dev Team. I for one know to put on my big girl panties and just skim the 'entertainment from the responders'. We want news.

Does this mean the Dev Team has to respond to every question, every post? Ludicrous, no, absolutely not! If they see something being communicated in THEIR official forums that has a lot of serious discussion maybe yes. Responding and acknowledgement, as someone once said :D , is vital. Communicating what's going on with their work, plans, what's important in their world view, etc would be a boon.  A hour a month to put together a newsletter, posted here in THEIR official forums would be great start. Split it between the devs and each add a little something. That's 15 minutes a month each. It's not rocket science.

So please.. use your official forums. We need you.

The Dev Team has an incredible tool for communication here, these forums, THEIR forums. My guess is that they probably would use it more if they're not torn a new one every which way from Sunday on everything they post. I see it as a catch 22 for the Dev team. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. That being said, the Dev Team, in my opinion, has the responsibility to communicate news. Post what you think is important, take a deep breath, know you're going to get righteous opinions by every Tom, Dick and Harry no matter what you post and carry on. You can only do the right thing at the right time and for the right reasons.

Honestly, the lack of communication these past months and the steady decline of communication over the past years is starting to make me wonder about the future. We've lost the streaming, the regular newsletters, Five on Friday, etc. I for one would appreciate hearing regular information from the Dev Team. I for one know to put on my big girl panties and just skim the 'entertainment from the responders'. We want news.

Does this mean the Dev Team has to respond to every question, every post? Ludicrous, no, absolutely not! If they see something being communicated in THEIR official forums that has a lot of serious discussion maybe yes. Responding and acknowledgement, as someone once said :D , is vital. Communicating what's going on with their work, plans, what's important in their world view, etc would be a boon.  A hour a month to put together a newsletter, posted here in THEIR official forums would be great start. Split it between the devs and each add a little something. That's 15 minutes a month each. It's not rocket science.

Amber now an honorary member of clan Mcdougle  ;)
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    McDougle said:

Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

McDougle said:

Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    You of course already are you're also lead bagpiper 
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:

Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    Sweet!!

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    Wait... we don't get to vote on new members?!?  :p
    aye, lack of comms, future looks bleak.
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    Wait... we don't get to vote on new members?!?  :p
    My resume 

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    1997: Still remember going to electronics boutique in the mall and buying the huge box (you know old gaming boxes 8 1/2 x 11)... with the Britannia map... (still have it)

uo.jpg 25.1K
  • Drago said:
    1997: Still remember going to electronics boutique in the mall and buying the huge box (you know old gaming boxes 8 1/2 x 11)... with the Britannia map... (still have it)

I have a couple of mine too with the pewter pins. 
  • FoosFoos Posts: 81
    The game is still awesome.  I see a lot of frustration with all of the different things that happen in game that the product owner/development team cannot control without shutting the game down for good and I understand that because that's what life is like and MMORPG's mirror life in a lot of way.  It is what it is.  Life isn't fair and neither is Ultima.  What Ultima does have is 20+ years worth of content. 
    Foos said:
    The game is still awesome.  I see a lot of frustration with all of the different things that happen in game that the product owner/development team cannot control without shutting the game down for good and I understand that because that's what life is like and MMORPG's mirror life in a lot of way.  It is what it is.  Life isn't fair and neither is Ultima.  What Ultima does have is 20+ years worth of content. 
    Bugs and issues are acceptable a total lack of communication with your players is not.....
    Drago said:

I still remember that day in late 90s, when I ran to buy my first box from the store after my fren told me about a new type of persistent online game, no save game, whatever happens stays on the server history etc... but sigh.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    Foos said:
    It doesn't really have 20+ years of content.  It's a sandbox so the story is pretty sparse.  There is very little reason to venture out of sub-optimal hunting spots.  There are a lot of "rares" because they embraced the rares community and made things limited time only.  A lot of events are also limited time only.  

The best things in this game were vendors and the sandbox nature.  Sandbox was ruined long before Broadsword and vendor was ruined by players/cheating/time.

I don't have a lot of will to go into a good argument, but I think it's not correct to say 20+ years of content when games with less years of content have more things to actually  do.  I spend more time on single player games than UO these days.  Hell, I have 125 Hours on a $3 Steam game that has been getting good patches every other week.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    edited July 2022
    My first PC. Pentium 100 mhz with 16 MB RAM and 1 GB HD (UO took up half of it).

I remember logging in and that chest opening at 2 frames per second...took forever...  if you had a Pentium 133, god that chest looked beautiful opening up  LOL!

• Aside from Vendor search, what has the Dev team done to improve the game in the last 10 years? Giving them credit for vendor search is even a stretch considering all of the issues it's had.
    edited July 2022
    Aside from Vendor search, what has the Dev team done to improve the game in the last 10 years? Giving them credit for vendor search is even a stretch considering all of the issues it's had.
    10 years. UO is no where near the same game it was 10 years ago.  I guess you do not play UO much. Or read all the posts from players taking a year or two off and not knowing what all the new stuff is. Guess you never been to Eodon or have a pet or wear armor with stats.

Wait till you use armor that's not imbued barbed leather and have a 50 SDI spellbook 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    This is a group play oriented game.  Playing with the right group trumps all of UO’s short comings from the player point of view.  I really enjoy playing with the players I know although I don’t get to play with them that much anymore.

For players used to playing solo games, like myself, UO does not come close to matching modern games in any respect.  Today’s UO is about the same as the stand alone UO game I played probably on my Nintendo 64.  That was a great game by the way. Excellent story and in all other respects the same game play, graphics, and music UO offers today.  It’s been a long time since I played that one so the graphics might not be exactly the same.

But playing a solo game is more like reading a novel.  Eventually you get to the end.  UO does not end.  It keeps on going after you finish doing something.  It has a lot to offer to new players if the Development team could figure out how to do that.  Maybe NL will appeal to new players.  But this last event clearly showed they are not all on the same page and that needs to change.
  • Pawain said:
    Aside from Vendor search, what has the Dev team done to improve the game in the last 10 years? Giving them credit for vendor search is even a stretch considering all of the issues it's had.
    10 years. UO is no where near the same game it was 10 years ago.  I guess you do not play UO much. Or read all the posts from players taking a year or two off and not knowing what all the new stuff is. Guess you never been to Eodon or have a pet or wear armor with stats.

Wait till you use armor that's not imbued barbed leather and have a 50 SDI spellbook 
    I guess reforging falls within 10 years, it was what, about 8 years ago? Imbuing/reforging completely destroyed the crafting community. Were they really a good updates? I personally think both imbuing and reforging hurt the game more than helped it. The pet update I'll give them credit for, it's nice.

You're right though, I don't log in often at all. There's a reason for that, the game it garbage in its current state. PvP used to be the best any game had to offer, now it's half scripted with no penalty. 
    Sorry you are throwing money away. Maybe go to a movie a month for entertainment instead.  I think steam has a bunch of free games.  You know what I do when I don't like a certain food, I don't buy it or eat it. I also don't play games I don't like.