We should be able to lock Fame, just as we can like Karma

2»

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    This simple idea and the backlash against it so highlights how jaded the players are..
    A.any middle school coder should be able to do this 
    B.it impacts no one... 
    C.why in our day we suffered so by golly everyone suffers 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Merus said:
    Merus said:
    I’m pretty sure we already have a toggle to remove the overhead Lord/Lady title.  Sometimes you have to do it a couple times for it to take, but it does work.  It’s called dying.

Different thing.
    And why allow Karma to be locked but not Fame?
    Karma can go negative… Fame can’t?
    There is good and bad karma. Angel and the devil.

Fame is 0 (nobody) to superstar at max?
    What is -100%? Super nobody?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,211
    McDougle said:
    This simple idea and the backlash against it so highlights how jaded the players are..
    A.any middle school coder should be able to do this 
    B.it impacts no one... 
    C.why in our day we suffered so by golly everyone suffers 
    Very simple request indeed.

I would like to see more use out of it though. Nothing major of course but something to give it a little more purpose. 
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 528
    edited July 2022
    Seth said:
    Fame is 0 (nobody) to superstar at max?
    What is -100%? Super nobody?
    -100% is most guys on dating apps. :D

• I'm not against the idea, however, it is possible to at least prevent the character from becoming lord or lady through sacrifice virtue. While most people want the highest level of fame they can get to get the highest sacrifice credit, you can sacrifice before that. I'm not sure of the exact amount of fame needed, but I can try to find out.

As I've pointed out before, this has its limits and does not fit the purpose. The Virtue system is its own thing, in need of its own changes.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    I'm not against the idea, however, it is possible to at least prevent the character from becoming lord or lady through sacrifice virtue. While most people want the highest level of fame they can get to get the highest sacrifice credit, you can sacrifice before that. I'm not sure of the exact amount of fame needed, but I can try to find out.

As I've pointed out before, this has its limits and does not fit the purpose. The Virtue system is its own thing, in need of its own changes.
    The virtue system is way overdue for an update.
  • Jepeth said:
    I'm not against the idea, however, it is possible to at least prevent the character from becoming lord or lady through sacrifice virtue. While most people want the highest level of fame they can get to get the highest sacrifice credit, you can sacrifice before that. I'm not sure of the exact amount of fame needed, but I can try to find out.

New Legacy basically. The return of the Chaos vs Order system.
    New Legacy would be a fertile ground to test out ideas in and see if they're popular enough to introduce to the regular shards.
  • Jepeth said:

Yes, though my ideas on that probably would be met with a similar reception.

New Legacy would be a fertile ground to test out ideas in and see if they're popular enough to introduce to the regular shards.

By definition nothing on New Legacy will impact production shards. Also, Order vs. Chaos and Virtues are two different game systems. It's unlikely they'll go through the trouble of linking them. And doing so would have its own issues, mechanics and RP-wise, anyway.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,211

I'd be so happy for Chaos and Order again on regular shards. Or even Factions for that matter. This VvV had potential but it's a massive flop besides being a cash cow. 

• New Legacy basically. The return of the Chaos vs Order system.

By definition nothing on New Legacy will impact production shards. Also, Order vs. Chaos and Virtues are two different game systems. It's unlikely they'll go through the trouble of linking them. And doing so would have its own issues, mechanics and RP-wise, anyway.
    The devs already stated that some elements of New Legacy may make their way over to normal shards. Seasonal environment changes or the streamlined harvesting mechanic for example.
    "Finally, some of the systems we are developing for Ultima Online: New Legacy will also have a place on live – which includes some often requested system enhancements."

• New Legacy basically. The return of the Chaos vs Order system.

The devs already stated that some elements of New Legacy may make their way over to normal shards. Seasonal environment changes or the streamlined harvesting mechanic for example.
    "Finally, some of the systems we are developing for Ultima Online: New Legacy will also have a place on live – which includes some often requested system enhancements."

If the existing shards were their primary concern they would simply develop systems for them and skip the intermediate step. Also note the "may." Also, how will that even work? Will they have to write code twice to do the same thing?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,170
    I think the coding is what will determine what is released to live production shards. If it's something relatively low effort to add to Prod then it's probably more likely to be added (ie dropping the existing NL code to Prod) versus something that might be a massive rewrite to existing code (ie coding twice for NL to Prod so that it doesn't totally break something).
    keven2002 said:
    I think the coding is what will determine what is released to live production shards. If it's something relatively low effort to add to Prod then it's probably more likely to be added (ie dropping the existing NL code to Prod) versus something that might be a massive rewrite to existing code (ie coding twice for NL to Prod so that it doesn't totally break something).
    They can't fix or even acknowledge that spellbook staps are broken does anyone have faith in their ability to do any of this?
    As it relates to changing fame/karma in NL; yes I think this would be something well within their ability.

I also think fixing the spellbook strap is something they could do as well but it's just not high enough on their list, but that's a little off topic for this thread :) 
    keven2002 said:
    As it relates to changing fame/karma in NL; yes I think this would be something well within their ability.

I also think fixing the spellbook strap is something they could do as well but it's just not high enough on their list, but that's a little off topic for this thread :) 
    How is their priority list determined??? We saw not one complaint about pet costumes yet got a hot fix?? 
  • keven2002 said:

You have of course proved my point about what their priorities are: NL. If they were terribly concerned about the real shards they could just find ways to add things to them without the intermediate step.
    I think they kind of told us that NL was their top priority which is why we've been given the dynamic content the last few years (ie semi plug and play). 

From my understanding (based on very limited info from the Devs) they kind of coded NL from essentially scratch to avoid the "spaghetti code" that we for real shards. So adding some sort of feature for NL might be done without needing to worry about existing real shard issues but to move it to the real shard they would then need to figure out how to implement the same code but factor in 20+ years of code. 

I think I see what you are saying though; they could/should have spent the resources on cleaning up or fixing real shard code rather than start a completely different shard with different set of code.