Pet Skill Soul Stone

Can we have this available on UO store, please?

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    We have up to 30 stable slots... plenty of pets to make different builds with.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    keven2002 said:
    So his idea would hinder you... how?
    edited June 2022
    Opportunity cost.

You can count the members of the Dev team on one hand (does Misk even count?) and the ask is to have something that is a completely new build up in order to remove and add skills to a pet (all of which could very easily be abused; at least at first)... when we already have the ability to train up to 30 pets. 

I'd much rather see actual content being developed over something that is really already available just by skilling the same pet with a few different builds. Perfect example is the Destard event and the mountain of issues that have gone along with it which is actually has and is still hindering my game play as we speak. Just look at the forums. When you have a majority of players on here complaining about the event/drops/mechanics that should be where the attention goes instead of some 1 off request that someone just made today.
    A soulstone for pets hardly seems the programing feat of the year. I can't believe it would be harder than drawing a hitching post that looks like a doghouse castle.
    And skilling 30 pets or double and more if u got 2 full tamers with slots increased.. do you even hear it? how many scrolls does that need? The idea actually makes a lot of sense.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 207
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

You can count the members of the Dev team on one hand (does Misk even count?) and the ask is to have something that is a completely new build up in order to remove and add skills to a pet (all of which could very easily be abused; at least at first)... when we already have the ability to train up to 30 pets. 

I'd much rather see actual content being developed over something that is really already available just by skilling the same pet with a few different builds. Perfect example is the Destard event and the mountain of issues that have gone along with it which is actually has and is still hindering my game play as we speak. Just look at the forums. When you have a majority of players on here complaining about the event/drops/mechanics that should be where the attention goes instead of some 1 off request that someone just made today.
    I am with Keven.  I would rather the developers focus their efforts on new content instead of changes to taming.  Pet skill soulstone is juicy idea, but not necessary.  Each player can have 30+ pets per character with Taming.  That is more than suffice. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,986Moderator
    keven2002 said:

42 actually: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/pets-ownership/

Merlin said:
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

I am with Keven.  I would rather the developers focus their efforts on new content instead of changes to taming.  Pet skill soulstone is juicy idea, but not necessary.  Each player can have 30+ pets per character with Taming.  That is more than suffice. 
    Would either of you two happen to sell scrolls perchance?   
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 798
    edited June 2022
    Go take a look over here:
    https://forum.uo.com/categories/bugs

There are so many issues posted there that seem a higher priority...
    Some people have even taken the time to propose what the fixes look like.

Curbing EJ accounts seems a much higher priority focus area.

1. Add an "EJ" tag above EJ players, like the VVV tag.  (then we can all assess what's happening here).
    2. Prevent EJ accounts from being in FEL. (one time murder reprieve, booted to tram on login, gate limits like what prevents murderers entering tram etc)
    3. Prevent EJ accounts from getting event drops (destard, ...)
    4. Prevent EJ accounts from picking up new alternate currency items (eggs...)

EJ accounts are likely the root cause for a number of issues in the game.  Ghost cams, tracking the status of spawns and report to discord, etc, are all likely EJ accounts.
    Go take a look over here:
    https://forum.uo.com/categories/bugs

There are so many issues posted there that seem a higher priority...
    Some people have even taken the time to propose what the fixes look like.

Curbing EJ accounts seems a much higher priority focus area.

1. Add an "EJ" tag above EJ players, like the VVV tag.  (then we can all assess what's happening here).
    2. Prevent EJ accounts from being in FEL. (one time murder reprieve, booted to tram on login, gate limits like what prevents murderers entering tram etc)
    3. Prevent EJ accounts from getting event drops (destard, ...)
    4. Prevent EJ accounts from picking up new alternate currency items (eggs...)

EJ accounts are likely the root cause for a number of issues in the game.  Ghost cams, tracking the status of spawns and report to discord, etc, are all likely EJ accounts.
    The add an EJ tag above EJ players is a very sound concept. It could shed heaps of light onto so many factors! This should rally be done as a priority, both to stop EJ's abusing the mechanics, and the theorizers from blaming it all on EJs

EJ's not getting drops is - I believe - already a thing.

let's start with those
    edited June 2022
    Keep in mind that Broadsword, and the GM's likely already know if EJ accounts are the root source of many issues. 

They would know from observing scripters, responding to abuse reports, and generally watching what's happening at FEL spawns, etc -- they certainly know what types of accounts are being used in these easy to observe situations.
    Keep in mind that Broadsword, and the GM's likely already know if EJ accounts are the root source of many issues. 

They would know from observing scripters, responding to abuse reports, and generally watching what's happening at FEL spawns, etc -- they certainly know what types of accounts are being used in these easy to observe situations.
    That is clear as day. Now keep in mind the breath of fresh air it would bring, if everyone could see whether their alleged nemesis is in fact, or not, an EJ.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 207
    Archangel said:

No, as a matter of fact, I don't. 

Tamers were given a huge revamp a few years ago that arguably made them the most powerful PVM template (or at the very least, in the discussion as most powerful with sampires).   Giving them soulstones would only make them even stronger.  

The taming/training system feels like it's finally in a good place and this would run the risk of upsetting that balance. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,088
    @Merlin
    They will never put in pet soulstones,  but how would they make tamers more powerful? A pet already has those skills how would moving them on and off make them more powerful?

This would only benefit players who messed up a pet and put a 120 on a badly built pet.

By now, those that have been around have all the 120 pets they can use.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2022

“Off topic but Our spawn cam bot i believe is paid account”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Archangel said:
    Merlin said:
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

You do understand that all pets would still need to eat PSs, the only thing the soulstone would do is bypass the training part just like it does on your char, your char still has to eat a PS
    Archangel said:
    Merlin said:
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

You do understand that all pets would still need to eat PSs, the only thing the soulstone would do is bypass the training part just like it does on your char, your char still has to eat a PS
     :D 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,348
    The potential for disasters is, for me, far too scary to contemplate. I don't think I like this idea.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    What I'd like to see is pet insurance or a means to prevent stat loss
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Archangel said:
    Merlin said:
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

Touché!
    You are indeed right, I must´ve had too many mugs of cheap ale... as usual!  :D
    McDougle said:
    What I'd like to see is pet insurance or a means to prevent stat loss

Ok, now that pets are not vanishing, what Petra said seems paramount. Lets not have them touch ANYTHING  that has to do with pets, lest they go wild again, vanish, and  one might as an added bonus to such interventions start falling of boats and even ethys disappearing! The less they touch, the better!
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 782
     would do is bypass the training part just like it does on your char, your char still has to eat a PS
    This shows how much of a tamer I'm not. I was forgetting about the game mechanics entirely at first. I thought, oh yeah, I can see where it would be a bummer to have to keep getting scrolls for each way you might want to build a pet, so I can see why pet soulstones would be nice. Like it would save you from it. Then the light dawned.

That said, I can see where if I were a tamer, I might fall in love with a particular pet that I'd want to use all the time and wish I could switch its build using stones.

And that said, I can see why it would be totally scary for tamers to think about mucking about in the taming system coding.

Yoshi said:

“Off topic but Our spawn cam bot i believe is paid account”
    What makes you believe that? Given your description of how this particular class of bot operates (near real time automated reporting to discord of the status of a champ spawn), it's likely that's not being done using EC or CC. If that's the case, I wouldn't put much trust in what that account operator says. This is a case where at least having the "EJ" tag above an EJ based player would be interesting.
  • Lord_Frodo is the one who truly understood my intention/proposition. 

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 526
    edited June 2022
    Archangel said:
    Merlin said:
    keven2002 said:
    Opportunity cost.

Yep. The only potential benefit to pet soulstones like this, would be to speed up the skill gain rate. For example, i would tame a 1,040 INT Serpentine Dragon, put 1,500 Max Mana, 30 MR, and 120 Med/120 Focus on it. Then put 120 Chiv PS on it. Train it up to 120 Chiv, then soulstone the Chiv onto another pet (like a Triton or Cu Sidhe), and sell the other pet. Rinse and repeat. Have one Serpentine Dragon for training Chiv, another for training Disco.
    Serpentine Dragons have by far the highest INT of any pet (up to 340 over the cap of 700). INT accelerates mana regeneration rate. The only other ability they have that detracts from Magic skill use, is Dragon Breath, but that's on a 17 second cooldown.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    Before pet's skills Soulstones, I would like to see character's STATS Soulstones as a thing... you know, for DEX, INT, STR.........
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2022
    I like this idea but something seems wrong.

Once a pet accepted skills via soulstone it should be locked from transfer. Otherwise, might as well just allow us to trade the skills on skills deeds, etc. I don't think this would happen.

The dev team is so small and too busy to even solve a simple bug. Let's hope they don't introduce more bugs to pets. Who knows what would happen, like pets die no ghost etc.

Bugs are priority, I feel it requires committing at least 30% of existing resources.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs