What's the Deal with Rowboats?

I have both types of rowboats. A wooden one and a pumpkin one. I remember getting them when they became available, but I don't think I ever really used them.

I didn't find much in a search on them. Other than they're good to use in a tight spot and you can launch them from on board a larger vessel. 

But what exactly are their mechanics? I launched one from shore near the corner of my house and I'd love to leave it there for decoration. But I got nervous to leave it, so I drydocked it again.

Does it pop back into your pack after X amount of time, if no one is aboard it? I saw no way to check its condition so I'm guessing it doesn't decay.

I'm going with it pops back into your pack even if you don't drydock it. That's my final answer.
Can someone confirm this?

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 511
    edited June 2022
    The deed never actually leaves your bag when you use it and the empty rowboat will eventually vanish. Its best use is to row (slowly) around the Beacons and pick off the orcs without getting your primary ship damaged by cannon fire.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 773
    Ahhh! Ok, great! Thanks, Jepeth.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pumpkin one is bugged and can't be launched from ship...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,041
    And the go ridiculously slow.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    I think I was in a race in one once!  :D

Too bad I can't keep it next to the house. It looked really good. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,678
    the regular row boat can be launched in deep water.

the pumpkin rowboat can only be used by the shore (shallow water)
    and if you use it to cross a river
    you only exit to the north.
    you can't use it to cross to the south
    (I haven't checked lately to see if this is still the case
    but I doubt they fixed that)
    The other day I was taking out a beacon that had spawned right up against a player’s ship that was anchored in the middle of Tokuno waters. 

I had to jump on their ship to take some of the orcs out. Never even considered using a rowboat as Jep mentioned. I’m going to keep that in mind now. 

The pumpkin rowboat sounds very, uh, quirky, Cin. :-P
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    edited June 2022
    I used a rowboat recently to kill orcs on a beacon that was too close to an island for me to get my large ship in. I also use my rowboat when lobster fishing (video on youtube, search petra fyde -Rowboat Crab Fishing)
    Rowboats are very slow - but that makes sense. I wouldn't be able to row as fast as a ship under sail could go!
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,678
    I once died while doing plunder beacon aboard a rowboat.
    A second plunder beacon had spawned below that one.

I had a second character on my ship
    so i hopped aboard my ship to get a rez.
    as soon as i did, the rowboat disappeared
    along with my body.

so after that, if I died, i made sure the other person
    gets aboard the rowboat to rez me.
    I'm kinda stoked to get out on the water again soon and try it, Petra. I'm also going to look for that video. I'd love it if I find something in it that makes me hate lobster fishing less. I find it completely tedious and loath that you're stuck not being able to take your eyes of the screen because you have to watch for a bob. That's about as antithetical to real world lobster catching as it gets. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    LilyGrace said:
    I'm kinda stoked to get out on the water again soon and try it, Petra. I'm also going to look for that video. I'd love it if I find something in it that makes me hate lobster fishing less. I find it completely tedious and loath that you're stuck not being able to take your eyes of the screen because you have to watch for a bob. That's about as antithetical to real world lobster catching as it gets. 
    I just run 6 pots off the pier at floating emporium 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    I don't think I'd be any less bored, or less irritated at having to stare diligently at my screen, if I were sitting at the emporium. I just hates it. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    Not sure my method will help, but I place the pots around the boat and have a macro to pick them up and another to empty them. I place them again before I sort out what I got, and by the time I've got the catch squared away it's pretty much time to pick up again.  I do play in EC though.
    That sounds efficient but I'm pretty stubborn about using CC :-/  Can't help it. 
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 270
    Other uses listed for the row boats may be handy however the best use I’ve found is in PvP. Since their deployment is fast and may be quickly repeated, nothing blocks enemy ships better from retreating a battle zone. Properly placed row boats in sea battles can turn the tide in your favor faster then anyone expects :)
    There is a lot more the rowboat game than I realized! I would buy a ticket to ride to see a rowboat PvP spectacle, Acid-Rain.  :D