Catskills Egg Scripters getting bolder and bolder

13»

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    dvvid said:
    dvvid said:
    Archangel said:
    dvvid said:
    They should just make the eggs spawn in truly random locations and not fixed areas. I feel like that would help. 
    how would that help you or any other normal player get more eggs, pray tell?
    I’m thinking that the scripting would possibly be less effective since there wouldn’t exactly be specific areas to get the eggs. Those collecting eggs would have to run around and find them like the start of the event, before it was realized that the eggs were spawning in specific areas. I’d imagine less scripters getting them would mean more actual players would. 
    LOL  That worked so well for mining and wood gathering.
    Randomizing the ore and wood didn't kill scripting, but it made scripting less efficient, wouldn't you say?  I'm not talking about a way to completely eliminate scripting, just making it less worthwhile.
    And made getting the colored ore 20x harder for the legit player than it was before.  It would have been far better to tie resource spots to each character, harvestable once per day.  Scripters wouldn’t be able to get all the ore before legit players got there and legit players could easily gather the ore they need.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    dvvid said:
    Archangel said:
    dvvid said:
    Archangel said:
    dvvid said:
    They should just make the eggs spawn in truly random locations and not fixed areas. I feel like that would help. 
    I’m thinking that the scripting would possibly be less effective since there wouldn’t exactly be specific areas to get the eggs. Those collecting eggs would have to run around and find them like the start of the event, before it was realized that the eggs were spawning in specific areas. I’d imagine less scripters getting them would mean more actual players would. 
    Well, if you´re not one collecting eggs, please don´t suggest how it could be bettered. I collect them, and I´ve never encountered scripters. I go to where they spawn and pick 'em and it works as intended.  Heck , maybe some ppl think I'm a bot, lol,

I wouldn't even believe possible a bot or any script could react to the many variables involved with picking eggs, Should I go arround opening stable gate, oh, better to teleport through fence, around the house, oh wait one just spawned after I clicked the rune destination, rune baack, rune out again, oh, now eggs are nowhere to be seen, lets give a tour through a +1screen radius, oh found 'em, next place empty, next place only 1 instead of 2 , go to next place but remember to return in 30 seconds, many spawns dried out, been too fast, where to next, site 14 of book 1 or yea,  site 4 of book 3, bingo, oh another player emptied this area, while they finish here I'll get to next area before them, time to circle all new haven island...

and so on and so forth.. and it works.. much to others chagrin and envy, I still can fill a bag in about 25 minutes.. and after an hour and 2 full bags I leave, so others can have their go (and cuz by then I'm dizzy and half zombied out)

no bloody script could ever account for so many unforeseeable variables! 

so please, don't give solutions you don't seem to need unless you are also picking eggs.
    I was collecting eggs before the last dungeon fix on ATL.  I now go in there because it is more fun.  

I'm amazed you haven't seen scripting.  Maybe you didn't realize, is also possible.  But do you really think everyone mentioning it is making stuff up?  

You would be impressed, as I was, what the scripts can do.  I've read on here and seen what people have said in Discord and finally decided to see for myself.  I went to the Yew sheep area on ATL and stood in the middle of the sheep.  No eggs, but the same people kept recalling in and out.  Nothing suspicious about that on the surface, so I was not convinced.

After waiting for an egg to spawn, which none did, I decided to test it myself.  I got an egg from my bank and went back to the spot.  Waited there for a minute or 2....saw the same people recalling in and out.  I then placed the egg next to me on the ground.  One of the characters recalled in and immediately started running to the egg, opening the stable doors no problem.  I picked up the egg as they were running and they ran to the exact spot where it was, stopped, then recalled out.

I put the egg back on the ground, another person recalled in, and started running to the egg immediately once again.  I picked up the egg and this character actually stopped the moment I picked the egg up.

Not entirely convinced this was scripted, I stuck around and did this several more times, moving to different areas, and the same exact thing happened with both of these 2 characters.  One would run all the way to the spot, even though it was obvious the egg was not there.  The other one stopping the exact moment I picked it up.  Neither of them said anything to me.  You'd think they would have something to say to me after I did this about 6 times to both of them.  I perceived this as 2 different scripts, one was better than the other.  It isn't 100% definitive proof, but seeing that in action was absolutely suspicious.

I recorded a video of some of this, but I don't even know if I care enough to do anything with the video.  I did report them though because of their actions being highly suspicious of unattended scripting. 

Anyway, my idea of randomizing the spots was merely and idea, not a stated solution.  I don't claim to know how to fix UO's problems.  I don't know why you seem to take personal offense.  Its just a thought.  I'm glad you haven't been affected negatively by the scripting.
    It sounds creepy AF!
    But alas I must believe you because I have seen some fishy things too, not while picking eggs per se, but related.
    Once I saw an egg on the other side of the screen and someone recalled almost next to me... before I could run 2 steps the other toon managed to blitz through the whole screen and pick the egg and recall out in the blink of an eye! Un-·%"·ing believable! That speed hack/script I have seen, and I thought it must be one of those PK'rs that cheat their way in pvp around yew gate. 

Another one was yesterday, as I was turning in eggs to get my 12 ingots (now automated by the new EC macro, so I was making the ping about every 10 seconds), a toon appeared and made 12 ping sounds non stop! about a ping every second! I had to just say WTF!?, and the toon recalled away.

So yeah, some people are using cheats. But I couldn't fathom how would anyone program to find the eggs and sadly, it still baffles the mind!  :/
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2022
    @dvvid I did a similar test.  I put an egg from my pack in the middle of group of hay stacks. The bot ran up and recalled away a few times. One player stopped, moved a hay stack and retrieved the egg.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,299
    Regarding the post about the player that left the egg in the house.  Carl Shift allows me too see everything in the house and where it is.  I can open the door and be on the egg very quickly.  Occasionally another player beats me to it but not often.
    Sometimes though after I go to a known outdoor egg location, pick up the eggs and don’t leave right away, I will see a toon recall in ride very fast around the area aimlessly a couple of times and then recall out.  If an egg does appear while this is going on, the toon does not appear to see it as it continues to ride around and I grab the egg.   When there is no egg, real players tend to keep on riding or recall out.  They can see the egg is gone.

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Merus said:
    dvvid said:
    dvvid said:
    Archangel said:
    dvvid said:
    LOL  That worked so well for mining and wood gathering.
    Randomizing the ore and wood didn't kill scripting, but it made scripting less efficient, wouldn't you say?  I'm not talking about a way to completely eliminate scripting, just making it less worthwhile.
    And made getting the colored ore 20x harder for the legit player than it was before.  It would have been far better to tie resource spots to each character, harvestable once per day.  Scripters wouldn’t be able to get all the ore before legit players got there and legit players could easily gather the ore they need.
    That’s a really good idea. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,936
    dvvid said:

How did randomizing of resources made scriting less efficient if I may ask ?

An AFK scripter, is not using his/her time at the keyboard like a player who does not use scripts.... they just fire up their client and script and then go do something else....

Better scripts, ring a loudy warning when a Game Master steps in and talks to the character so that either the player can respond and pretend that they are playing attended or, I hear, some scripts are even smart enough to answer the GM without the player needing to actually get to the keyboard...

Bottom line is, the randomizing of resources, to my understanding, just made it took longer to gather resources but, for an AFK scripter who is not actually spending time at the keyboard, this is a non issue..... they only gather more resources throughout their 24/7, 365 AFP scripting.....

It DID hurt enormousily players who do not script and ARE at the keyboard, though, who now need a LOT MORE of their time spent in the game to gather whatever resources they may need....

The core of the issue revolving around scripting is PEOPLE'S TIME.

As long as the Design of the game will make it unreasonably time intensive to get stuff in the game, scripting and AFK scripting will have all good reasons to exist.

We want to see scripting gone from Ultima Online ?

Then, the Developers need to change their Design of the game and make items, high end items well included, be way more readily available in the game, taking a whole lot less time then they do now, to be obtained in the game.

THEN, we will see scripting and AFK scripting really be gone, because becoming pointless....

@Kyronix ?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Why would you decide if the toon is run by a script based on whether they talk to u. I don't waste time writing when I someone picking up an egg before I reach it.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    edited June 2022
    All the proof I needed to prove there was scripting was when the Devs changed the spawn to what it is now from "the pile". There were a bunch of gargs on ATL with crappy armor and soul glaives all piled up (and sometimes all dead in the dungeon for hours in the same spot) before the change and after the change I haven't seen a single one (they are likely scripting eggs instead). I guess all those toons just got all the drops they needed as a coincidence to when they made the change?
    edited June 2022
    Yup, it's easier to catch them in static mode and check if they are afk. 

If I am rushing around and someone chat with me I don't care even it's a GM. Don't waste my time because I am trying to beat the other guy. 

Recall is ALWAYS to same location because we use rune book.

Then we ALWAYS run towards the egg if there is one. How can anyone program to run to a location if there is no egg there?

How on earth u catch a script user? 

The early Dev already knew the answer is to make a new client software which the aging community rejected for years and in the end they gave up.

This is why the current Dev team can't solve the problem. A true legacy problem, a 24 year old, well-hacked software.
    edited June 2022
    No wonder we are getting a New Legacy Shard, to pair with the Classic 24 year old legacy software. 

Keep complaining about scripters and read above.