@Mesanna - Why the Hate for Glacial Color

2»

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    IF Kyronix wants to read about this, he will. He reads a lot more than he posts.

If I were asked to guess the reason for that particular color being unpopular I would have said it was less because of how bright it was and more because of the exploiting that went on to create items with that hue. But of course that's only my opinion and guess.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 5
    Mariah said:
    IF Kyronix wants to read about this, he will. He reads a lot more than he posts.

If I were asked to guess the reason for that particular color being unpopular I would have said it was less because of how bright it was and more because of the exploiting that went on to create items with that hue. But of course that's only my opinion and guess.

How  many other things were exploited on UO in the past and not perma deleted? I could list a lot of them.

I dont need to list all the Glacial Items that current existent in the game, from hair dyes to weapons and so on. We are just asking to this situation been look in a different way other than personal hate from 1 of the devs, specially if we are asking to pay for it, make a limited time special color dye (1 charge) and put in the ingame store and charge us 1K, 2K soverign and you will see how many people will buy.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Mine is way cooler. That is why.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited April 2022
    Hey does anyone know (or remember) the hue we had long time ago that was kind of like black tie dye? It was moistly black but had all different colors in it. It almost looked like a broken pure black dye job.  iirc it was maybe a dye tub on the Halloween test shard like 20 years ago? Maybe we should bring that color back!
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I think that would be what was called Star Cloth. I seem to remember people talking about it . I never actually saw it in game and couldn't find a pic online.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 171
    funny no one has brought up the fact black was never intended, it was created threw a bug using coal and a dye tub back in the day.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    what about ethereal cloth 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Anon said:
    @ Mariah would you please show this to @ Kyronix that probably will show to @ Mesanna that people's opinion matter? thatit is not fair to delete a Hue from the game that been around for so long, because of a personal hate for it? like many others said, if the complain was about that this color hurt people's eye, well, there is by far worst colors(bright) in the game that cause the same effect. 

How is this any different?

than this

after seeing these id take glacier over that other obnoxious color :)
    Someone mentioned the Black cloth and tub was an exploit.  So they could not delete it because the items were already made and the original tubs said Dye Tub just like the others.

We found a way to make the multi hue trick or treat cloth by cutting the clothes while we were under the affect.

We were able to make white cloth by putting a quest item in the loom.

We were able to make slime dyed cloth.

What do all those have in common.  They were made using game mechanics on items that we may have not supposed to have done.  In the first 3 cases they made dye tubs that make those colors so everyone can have them. For the Halloween colors they made all types of dye tubs.

There are old colors from NPCs or mobs that do not exist now.

All of these colors are in the game and not threatened.

I do not know the history of Glacial items.  I am not talking about the EM drops. Hair Dye that is in the game and became a status symbol. 

The clothing, books,  pick axes etc.
    How were those made?  Were they from game mechanics that any player could do like all the ones above?

Maybe that is a reason she does not like those things in the game,  I do not know and can't give an educated opinion on the subject until I know the circumstances of the first Glacial item. Then the rest of the history of the color on those items.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mariah said:

I think he posts an average of 1-2 per month, so reading "a lot" more of 1-2 is not a lot. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    edited April 2022
    Leave glacial alone.... how about we leave some merit in the game and not have to monetize everything on the store?  Let some items remain rare and highly sought after.

next hue asked will be wildfire....

• Drago said:
    Leave glacial alone.... how about we leave some merit in the game and not have to monetize everything on the store?  Let some items remain rare and highly sought after.

100000%
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Drago said:

we have already asked for Wildfire and Daemonic Forces (red/yellow)
    (to be put on the Treasures of vendors)
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2022
    Pawain said:
    The clothing, books,  pick axes etc.
    How were those made?  Were they from game mechanics that any player could do like all the ones above?

Black Staff, Pickaxe, Butcher's knife, Dagger, War Mace, Spellbook, Ring, were all doggy duped items. Long pants, bandana, probably the same thing considering their frequency of existence pre-rogue EM glacial tub era however these two items now fall under the category of illegal since then. 99% of Slime/HoM white/1109/quest orange cloth in circulation was duped via the old bolt cloth stacking exploit. Both categories of items allowed to circulate that were unquestioningly created with dupes.

The main difference is that that one side is player influenced duping and the glacial clothing (minus long pants/bandana) was a direct result of someone abusing the power of an Event Moderator character, which Mesanna takes very personally.
    OK. If that is the case can see why they should not be more of those. If she wants to get rid of dupes I am fine with that.

It's her choice the allow EMs to use that color.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2022
    Pawain said:
    OK. If that is the case can see why they should not be more of those. If she wants to get rid of dupes I am fine with that.

It's her choice the allow EMs to use that color.

EMs dont have final say on drop colors, mesanna does and the EMs just request what a drop should be and it's color. She allowed them to have glacial drops originally and it started out with the exception of those drops intending to be unique or low count, 2-4. Now she allows them if they follow a good story and match theme wise, but it's still rare.

EMs have very little power to do anything on their own at all anymore. Last I checked (sometime before the dynamic system was implemented) Mesanna was still the person who had to decorate areas for EM's events, because time and time again it's been proven to be a terrible idea giving players the ability to create or even alter items. We cannot and should not be trusted.