Interacting with other people's posts, why do we only have negative methods?

Why on these forums do we only have a negative format in which to interact with someone's post outside of quoting it? If I personally agree with what someone has posted, but I don't have anything to post in support of it, then why do I not have the option to "like" that post? There is only an option to "flag" that post.

It would also be helpful I imagine for the people who actually matter on these forums (the devs) to be able to at a glance see that maybe a large number of players like or agree with what someone posts, and be able to know what they should put more consideration into. Instead of manually filtering through quote walls and deciphering feedback themselves.

Also for the sake of transparency, make public who likes what when they like something.

1. Oh look, a poll! Would you like to like people's posts?18 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. Not yes
      33.33%

Comments

• I'm really starting to wonder why people don't understand that a forum is not a democracy, but a platform to simply exchange opinions. Whether it corresponds to the opinion of the developers or "most" of the players is completely irrelevant.

You feel unfairly treated?
    Play another game?
    Can I have your stuff?

It's a GAME, not real life.

Oh, I remember, you were the gay (lol) who knew everything in detail about the GM's life a few days ago... indeed. How do you know all this? were you once a GM? And why complaining about simple "opinions" and "thumbs up" here on the forum now? Figures. The dog that is hit barks.
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Vagabond said:
    I'm really starting to wonder why people don't understand that a forum is not a democracy, but a platform to simply exchange opinions. Whether it corresponds to the opinion of the developers or "most" of the players is completely irrelevant.

Play another game?
    Can I have your stuff?

Oh, I remember, you were the gay (lol) who knew everything in detail about the GM's life a few days ago... indeed. How do you know all this? were you once a GM? And why complaining about simple "opinions" and "thumbs up" here on the forum now? Figures. The dog that is hit barks.

Point and case, I could just +like this post instead of having to quote it directly.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited February 2022
    gay said:
    Point and case, I could just +like this post instead of having to quote it directly.

Actually it is and example of case and point. -1

I prefer no fan clubs.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I think it would be much more helpful to put forth articulate, thoughtful, helpful suggestions on issues. Frankly I feel it adds no value to give a thumbs up or thumps down. As as player or dev why would you rely on a thumbs up or thumbs down? Forums are a way to gather information and learn.  They want info that is well stated and purposeful. Exchange ideas, watch ideas grow and develop. That was once the purpose... Today people think forums are there for them to vent and express their right to abuse... oh never mind... I digress...

If you don't have anything to add to what someone said, don't quote it. But often when having discussions, when someone says something, that will stimulate an additional idea on how to make that thing better. It's a back and forth. For many, those are the best forums. OF4WD - smiley-face-with-mustache-and-thumbs-up-interview

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I've evil.

But often when having discussions, when someone says something, that will stimulate an additional idea on how to make that thing better. It's a back and forth. For many, those are the best forums.

I would agree, except in the case of this forums it usually just leads to posts being deleted by moderators the moment any sort of discourse happens. It's almost like the most active mods here have modeled themselves after the stratics mods who have run that forum into the ground with over moderation and censorship.

So in light of almost never actually being able to have a back and forth discussion regarding topics that matter, having a system that is capable of displaying public interest in something in the most simple way possible isn't such a terrible thing.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    @gay this is how you reply to a particular post without quoting it, by addressing the poster by name.
    The first rule on this forum is
    Please Treat ALL Posters with Respect and Courtesy.

It is failure to abide by this rule that gets posts deleted, not negativity in itself. You can be negative, as long as you're also constructive and not abusive to other posters or staff. It is the posters who believe they have the right to insult and denigrate others that find their posts disappearing. You don't have that right. Be courteous.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2022
    “Too easy to troll with a like button

someone writes:
    ’This is a stupid post’
    and people will like that comment…

likes would actually be mainly used for trolling like that, 
    That is how it works on uostratics, creates a very hostile environment and makes uncomfortable reading. That is also why that forum is so unsuccessful.

very rarely is the like button used for anything other than trolling”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    having a like button
    is for people who agree with you
    but don't want to repeat exactly what you typed.
    why have 20 people repeat the exact same thing?

it would be more constructive
    if people would only comment after that
    on building on that topic, rather than repeating the same thing

liking a post
    can also be a thank you for the post
    (i sometimes like a post because I found it helpful)

• having a like button

liking a post

What part of your post would one think I 'liked' if I gave your post just a thumbs up? There are many different things that are stated in the post and if I just 'liked' it, one would think I agreed with everything. (please don't think I'm picking on you. Your post was the last one so I used it as an example)

Likes can be used as a way to tickle someone's vanity. Who isn't guilty of 'liking' a post simply because it's a post by someone they like? 'Oh! That's a post by my bestie'!  *hits the like button*  Or you like a post and then a few days later you see that same person has 'liked' one of your posts. Now you have a 'like' friend? I dunno. Maybe?

And the exact opposite happens as well. There really isn't any true honesty and integrity in buttons. People weaponize these things these days.

I'm all for making people state, in their own words, with their own thought process, what they think and what their opinion is. It's an exercise that we all need to practice more.

Respectfully,
    AW

• having a like button

liking a post

What part of your post would one think I 'liked' if I gave your post just a thumbs up? There are many different things that are stated in the post and if I just 'liked' it, one would think I agreed with everything. (please don't think I'm picking on you. Your post was the last one so I used it as an example)

Likes can be used as a way to tickle someone's vanity. Who isn't guilty of 'liking' a post simply because it's a post by someone they like? 'Oh! That's a post by my bestie'!  *hits the like button*  Or you like a post and then a few days later you see that same person has 'liked' one of your posts. Now you have a 'like' friend? I dunno. Maybe?

And the exact opposite happens as well. There really isn't any true honesty and integrity in buttons. People weaponize these things these days.

I'm all for making people state, in their own words, with their own thought process, what they think and what their opinion is. It's an exercise that we all need to practice more.

Respectfully,
    AW

*presses like*
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    edited February 2022
    having a like button

liking a post

Respectfully,
    AW

*presses like*

See? Point proven! There he goes.. tickling ma vanity!
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    having a like button

liking a post

Respectfully,
    AW

*presses like*
    Presses LIKE LIKE  LOL
  • having a like button

liking a post

Respectfully,
    AW

*presses like*

See? Point proven! There he goes.. tickling ma vanity!
    Vanity? So that's what the kids are calling these days.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Idk it just sounds like a lot of you are afraid of not having your posts liked, so in return nobody gets to like anyone's posts.

Democracy? What singular entity of an entire post might someone be referring to with a like?
    Have we all become so jaded in our old age that our cognition has developed into something so obfuscated? Our sense of perspective so black and white? If that's the case then I think it's time to find a wandering healer, and clear up that perspective a bit.

idk lol i'm just a dummy thicc pvper.
    edited February 2022
    gay said:

idk lol I'm just a dummy  pvper.

So you want to kill us but you want us to like your posts?   :D

One of the first things posters asked for when the forum opened was the like button.
    You not the only one.
    Forums run on an engine, maybe this engine has no like options. ?
  • gay said:
    Idk it just sounds like a lot of you are afraid of not having your posts liked, so in return nobody gets to like anyone's posts.

Democracy? What singular entity of an entire post might someone be referring to with a like?
    Have we all become so jaded in our old age that our cognition has developed into something so obfuscated? Our sense of perspective so black and white? If that's the case then I think it's time to find a wandering healer, and clear up that perspective a bit.

And then we have those that lose focus of the topic of conversation and start attacking the individuals by using tactics of crass insults and baseless assumptions.

That's when any hope of meaningful conversation has been lost. 

gay said:

#1 I could care less if you like my posts.
    #2 Democracy, are you joking.  This is a game owned by EA and managed by BS and it is a dictatorship just like these forums, the only rights you have is what they give you.  There is no Constitution of UO and the POUO is appointed by BS, there is no voting.
    gay said:

#2 Democracy, are you joking.  This is a game owned by EA and managed by BS and it is a dictatorship just like these forums, the only rights you have is what they give you.  There is no Constitution of UO and the POUO is appointed by BS, there is no voting.

Incase you missed it, I was questioning Vagabond's assertion that by adding likes means adhering to some form of democracy, lmao.

• Pawain said:
    gay said:

Actually it is and example of case and point. -1

I prefer no fan clubs.
    Just like nobody prefers people that are always commenting on everything. Point in case
  • Vagabond said:
    I'm really starting to wonder why people don't understand that a forum is not a democracy, but a platform to simply exchange opinions. Whether it corresponds to the opinion of the developers or "most" of the players is completely irrelevant.

Play another game?
    Can I have your stuff?

This is a big part of real life for all those who spend large ammounts of the day playing. If you don't like it, you could play another game maybe? 
  • I think it would be much more helpful to put forth articulate, thoughtful, helpful suggestions on issues. Frankly I feel it adds no value to give a thumbs up or thumps down. As as player or dev why would you rely on a thumbs up or thumbs down? Forums are a way to gather information and learn.  They want info that is well stated and purposeful. Exchange ideas, watch ideas grow and develop. That was once the purpose... Today people think forums are there for them to vent and express their right to abuse... oh never mind... I digress...

If you don't have anything to add to what someone said, don't quote it. But often when having discussions, when someone says something, that will stimulate an additional idea on how to make that thing better. It's a back and forth. For many, those are the best forums. OF4WD - smiley-face-with-mustache-and-thumbs-up-interview

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I've evil.

I dislike the lecturing tone
  • Mariah said:
    @ gay this is how you reply to a particular post without quoting it, by addressing the poster by name.
    The first rule on this forum is
    Please Treat ALL Posters with Respect and Courtesy.

It is failure to abide by this rule that gets posts deleted, not negativity in itself. You can be negative, as long as you're also constructive and not abusive to other posters or staff. It is the posters who believe they have the right to insult and denigrate others that find their posts disappearing. You don't have that right. Be courteous.

I would have liked to just like your post. Sadly to do it I must quote it and it just adds another post
  • having a like button

liking a post

I fully agree with you. Now, if I could've just liked you post it would be so much less clutter
  • having a like button

liking a post

Respectfully,
    AW

No-one is going to agree with this, because it feels like lecturing. As an Asperger I can honestly say I dislike the tone... again.
  • gay said:

And then we have those that lose focus of the topic of conversation and start attacking the individuals by using tactics of crass insults and baseless assumptions.

That's when any hope of meaningful conversation has been lost. 

A post doesn\t need to become a meaningful conversation, it is not even an intended effect or pre-requisite. Some ideas are there to be considered, pondered upon or ignored (among many other viabilities, as it were). Do you agree with what OP proposed, or not. No need to start rambling diatribes, IMHO. and therein lies the beauty of the like or dislike button, it can speak volumes... for those who understand.
  • gay said:

What on earth made you conclude that a like button is a vote of any sort? That pipe might have been lit a bit too often.
  • and no-one would have had to read my thoughts on every comment had I been able to just show at each post my like or dislike towards it   *shrugs*
    Sure seems like a lot of negativity from the posters who want to like other posts. 
    Archangel said:
    gay said:

What on earth made you conclude that a like button is a vote of any sort? That pipe might have been lit a bit too often.
    Guess you did not read the post I was responding to.  So much for your like.
    Pawain said:
    Sure seems like a lot of negativity from the posters who want to like other posts. 
    LIKE  LOL