How I think we could have customizable castles and keeps

BardrisCaller1BardrisCaller1 Posts: 64
edited February 2022 in Homes & Castles
I know there are good reasons to not make castles and keeps customizable but I do believe there is at least one way to do it. My idea would create a new way for Broadsword to make money, create a gold sink mechanism and reduce the number of castles and keeps that would become customizable so the lag issues aren't a big problem.

Sell a token for 5k or 10k sovereigns in the store that allows a castle or keep to switch to customizable. The owner can use it and convert it to a customizable plot. In the event the castle or keep is traded to another account, it will revert back to the classic style and the token will be placed back into the owners backpack. It will be account bound so you can't trade it to other players. Broadsword will make money and not all castles and keeps will end up being customized.

As far as a gold sink is concerned, create an awesome new polished tile set that only appears if you have purchased the castle customization token. It should only appear in customization menus for castles or keeps. Add a menu in the customization tool that allows you to pay 100 million gold to unlock the tile set and it can be made non-refundable. A one time purchase, no refunds. And since the customizable castle or keep automatically reverts back to its classic style during a trade, you won't have to worry about other players being able to access the function and not have to pay the 100 million.

It may be the dumbest idea about this topic, I don't know.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    This unfortunately is about control nothing else and will never happen...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    $50-$100 That is way to high.  I could go the $30 range and we would need to be able to create and copy the design on TC before placing it on a prodo shard.,  Gold sink for the tiles I could go for as long as UO doesn't go overboard on the tile prices.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    The issue (as I understand it) is that they don’t want a 24x24 or 31x31 dynamic object on production shards.  That eliminates any option where a customizable castle is an option.

I feel like there is a scenario where you could pay $20 (or whatever) and it allows you to claim a single use deed that would be your custom design from test.  The castle on production would be static, so it’s easier on the production server, it would mean your design is potentially a 1 of a kind, and would be a revenue stream for Broadsword.
  • Merus said:
    The issue (as I understand it) is that they don’t want a 24x24 or 31x31 dynamic object on production shards.  That eliminates any option where a customizable castle is an option.

I feel like there is a scenario where you could pay $20 (or whatever) and it allows you to claim a single use deed that would be your custom design from test.  The castle on production would be static, so it’s easier on the production server, it would mean your design is potentially a 1 of a kind, and would be a revenue stream for Broadsword.

See that is a much better idea. They could even make it possible to design it in game instead of on TC1.
  • ThrenodyThrenody Posts: 14
    I would literally pay $100 to customize my castle on my home shard.
  • DryzzidDryzzid Posts: 80
    Definitely a bummer to not be able to customize my keeps. I could do so much with plots that big. I would be in favor of pretty much any reasonably affordable avenue to custom keeps (and castles, of course, but I don't/will never own one). 

I very much like the idea of new (and existing but not available to players) tile sets as a gold sink that you mention. Similar to the carpet pieces, maybe? Do a quest for a carpenter or something and gain the ability to buy tiles?
    Mayor of North Harbor Township, Atlantic Shard
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • Lord_GarethLord_Gareth Posts: 11
    edited April 2022
    What about having a static 3x3 castle wall along the outer borders of the plot and making the center tiles customizable? 

That way most of the area is static for the client to load.

or just have it be a dirt plot that you have to step on the load…just like seeing items inside of a house.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Merus said:

I Iike this idea and would like to suggest customizing by modifying an existing design as the base, instead of a new one from scratch.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Threnody said:
    I would literally pay $100 to customize my castle on my home shard.
     :D <3