Publish 112 has interesting things

124»

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,167
    edited February 2022
    Nerfing tamers... that's a good one lol

Pet training totally "nerfed" tamers right? The ability to pick the pet stats/skills/specials? Oh the travesty!!! 

Meanwhile tainted leech life and high end bosses doing 60damage per hit to a sampire on a swampy have been made for several high end things.

But yea... tamers have been wronged all these years  :|
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,074
    @popps you can not bring pets, fly or be mounted in castle Blackthorn because the devs and EMs meet there. And do not want a room full of flapping.

You know you can claim pets at the hitching post in the dungeon there. And use them to fight.  Exactly why do you need your pet at the governor's meeting?

Or you can say dungeon blackthorn at a corrupt portal and you and your pet go right to that hitching post where the two of you can go fight Captains. With no disruption.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    "Improved server performance for several monster AIs"
    I was hoping that this meant they'd finally fix the stupidity of some pet AIs, such as Magery Mastery pets casting Bless and Arch Cure on their opponents, or trying to channel Death Ray at point blank range while being melee attacked, but nope. At worst, i was thinking it might've meant that mobs will react much faster to receiving damage after hitting a Mirror Image.
    Instead, it means that Tamers can't bring pets down to the underwater Shadowlord boss encounter anymore :/
    I think this is collateral damage while trying to fix an "exploit" that has been going on for more than 10 years.

For such "exploit", it should be debatable whether it should be re-classified as "design intent" instead since the Dev knew but did nothing = why now. 

Personally for underwater, I don't see why they need to block pets underwater.

The debate is perhaps "how could pets dive underwater logically when they can't swim?
    Yeah right, does that mean the character needs to wear the diving gear 100% of the time when underwater?

What is the definition of "design intent"? Is it based on logic or game design that is subjective to what the Dev has in mind? In any game, the rules and design can be changed anytime - because the game is meant to be fun.

And if allowing pet is more fun why not? We don't play a game because it is logical but because a GAME is FUN - it's that short 1-hour entertainment after work away from serious logical real-life issues!

So cut the crap about design intent or what should "logically" be in a game because many things in a game do not always follow "logic". If anyone wants logic then don't play fantasy games.

I would vote to put pets back into Underwater - if not then please don't allow characters to switch out Diving gear when underwater. That said, might as well remove the underwater encounter and call it a design flop. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,797
    @Seth you are assuming the exploit was being able to have pets underwater.  Since the devs never say what the actual exploit was it is more likely having pets underwater enabled someone to execute an exploit that is only doable with pets. For example the exploit might have allowed dupping of items but in order to dup you needed to have pets underwater.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    TimSt said:
    @ Seth you are assuming the exploit was being able to have pets underwater.  Since the devs never say what the actual exploit was it is more likely having pets underwater enabled someone to execute an exploit that is only doable with pets. For example the exploit might have allowed dupping of items but in order to dup you needed to have pets underwater.

I didn't assume.
    I knew there was a complain about such "exploit" and then recently someone complained that its no longer working.
    I have to be honest that I have been using that method to get my Swampy under water so that I can ride it.
    I could also use an ethereal but since the boss is tough I don't mind having extra damage reduction from Swampy.
    I have not been playing much hunting to validate if it still works.
    I think tamers are affected but not so much for warriors on swampy.
    I opine its a waste of time to fix such an "issue" since they claimed their programmer(s?) are swarmed by NLS.
    I would rather they reallocate their thin resource(s) to fix the bugs that really matters, and improve item usability = customer satisfaction.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 796
    edited February 2022
    Seth said:
    "Improved server performance for several monster AIs"
    I was hoping that this meant they'd finally fix the stupidity of some pet AIs, such as Magery Mastery pets casting Bless and Arch Cure on their opponents, or trying to channel Death Ray at point blank range while being melee attacked, but nope. At worst, i was thinking it might've meant that mobs will react much faster to receiving damage after hitting a Mirror Image.
    Instead, it means that Tamers can't bring pets down to the underwater Shadowlord boss encounter anymore :/
    I think this is collateral damage while trying to fix an "exploit" that has been going on for more than 10 years.

For such "exploit", it should be debatable whether it should be re-classified as "design intent" instead since the Dev knew but did nothing = why now. 

Personally for underwater, I don't see why they need to block pets underwater.

The debate is perhaps "how could pets dive underwater logically when they can't swim?
    Yeah right, does that mean the character needs to wear the diving gear 100% of the time when underwater?

What is the definition of "design intent"? Is it based on logic or game design that is subjective to what the Dev has in mind? In any game, the rules and design can be changed anytime - because the game is meant to be fun.

I would vote to put pets back into Underwater - if not then please don't allow characters to switch out Diving gear when underwater. That said, might as well remove the underwater encounter and call it a design flop. 

The underwater issues, tradeoffs, and some more significant suggested fixes are covered in these threads:
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10133/underwater-bugs