Think it's time we start addressing 3rd party clients...

usernameusername Posts: 690
edited June 2023 in General Discussions
(Inspired by another post and how often I see people running these)

Sadly these programs are the reason many people don't participate in PVP (I haven't in over 15 years). Like, seriously, these players aren't even playing Ultima Online anymore: everything is automated, there's no skill in PVP. It's who can cheat more: speed hacks, 3rd party clients, build in scripts in the 3rd party clients, automation, gfx editing, running like a pony... so many videos and screenshots of this garbage out there. These clients completely break the game and do things the normal client can't do, especially at the packet level, which you would think would be a big red flag for the developers as I heard rumors that one of them was so broken it was crashing the server years ago (remember when ATL was down 3/4 times a day??).

These clients are also the 'engines' that people use to multibox and run scripts like shadowguard, doom and tot.

The developers either need to:
1.) Say these clients are OK to use - will never happen as they didn't make them, nor do I want it to happen, **** these clients.
2.) Do something about it - 1% chance of happening as they're too busy wasting 5+ years of dev time on the new game.

(random screenshot grabbed from some lame ass pvp discord)

So, option #3:

As your login/pw is highly exposed in the client (go grab a memory editor/viewer if you don't believe me) I REALLY hope that the developers of these clients decide to ROB EVERYONE THAT USE THEIR CLIENTS BLIND. Will be a glorious day.  o:)  

Assist and things that make "UO easy" should be allowed as they're not broken as hell.
  1. what do do5 votes
    1. Do waves of banning 3rd party client users
      20.00%
    2. Disallow 3rd party clients from connecting + dev time in to adding features to the official clients
      80.00%
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Seems to me if you can't play using one of the official clients without running a script engine in the background. Then you should probably leave and find a game that better suits your taste.  No idea why the mods all a certain segment of the forums to continually post promoting the use of 3rd party clients and software. Not sure why their own admissions in the official forums are not actively used to observe, investigate and action their cheating backsides accounts in game.

Simply identifying the 3rd party clients and blocking them from being able to connect to the log in servers would go a long way to eliminating the worst among us.

The single biggest detractor UO has in the gaming community as a whole is being a huge cesspool of cheating allowed to run rampant.  Want a lot more new players and returning players to come into the game, get rid of the cheating and stay on top of it. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2023
    “Nah continue to ban people who allude to its existence, leave all people who actually use it unbanned thanks
    IBTL”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • looploop Posts: 301
    edited June 2023
    I think they should continue to allow the use of third-party clients. They make the game more fun and outpace the official clients by leagues in terms of quality of life improvements and bug fixes. They also aren’t ugly as sin.

I say this as someone who doesn’t PVP at all. PVP has always been terrible in this regard. If you want meaningful PVP, you should probably stick to private servers.

Also, don’t misinterpret this post as an “admission” of using such clients on the official servers. I use the EC because I’m a masochist.
    edited June 2023
    “How is anyone ever going to catch someone who uses EC then?
    People would be forced to use EC to move the speed of the weirdos that like that client.
    it’s horrible graphics

if they are going to ban people, ban EC players first please”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Yoshi said:
    “Nah continue to ban people who allude to its existence, leave all people who actually use it unbanned thanks
    IBTL”

Guess if you are not using them then banning and blocking would have no impact on your game play.............. You do a bit more than allude to their existence. 
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    Yoshi said:
    People would be forced to use EC to move the speed of the weirdos that like that client.
    it’s horrible graphics

It's a myth that the EC is faster than the CC. If you mean the fact EC avoids certain terrains, I'll give you that, but the way you stated is misleading: in a straight line they move the same speed all things the same except client. 

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    If you want to go back to basics, it is very simple.

1. Trammel needs to be deleted.

2. Enhanced Client needs to be deleted.

3. Sampires need to be deleted.

I argued for these for years, to keep the game integrity, but I had to move on.

I don't think the opening posters are asking for enough, or for the correct changes to the game.

edited June 2023
    username said: It's a myth that the EC is faster than the CC. If you mean the fact EC avoids certain terrains, I'll give you that, but the way you stated is misleading: in a straight line they move the same speed all things the same except client. 
    “Right, the game is not one giant long straight line that is one tile wide, I can guarantee that if you’re trying to run away from 2 death strikers on CC and they are both using EC, you’ll find yourself hit with death strike after 2 seconds…

And if you want to do the same to them, you will Never catch up to them, you will even after 20 seconds not even know what direction they are travelling as they have completely left your screen

its not a case of user error of CC players hitting trees, literally each corner that is taken the EC skips a tile. 
    Watch someone in EC run in a circle around you compared to someone on CC (no objects, on flat terrain) and you can observe who is on EC vs who is on CC”
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    username said:
    Yoshi said:
    it’s horrible graphics

It's a myth that the EC is faster than the CC. If you mean the fact EC avoids certain terrains, I'll give you that, but the way you stated is misleading: in a straight line they move the same speed all things the same except client. 
    If it is a myth, why are EC players so up in arms that a Classic Client version, can make players run the same speed?

How about be happy that Classic Client players finally have a level playing field, instead of calling them cheats?

edited June 2023
    “If I had 2 PCs I would show how EC players skip tiles
    maybe someone has both EC and CC installed can DM me and we’ll arrange a meet to show video, can be any shard (none of my guild mates use either of those clients)

even if I wasn’t using 3rd party client myself, I would at least need some guild mates to use to catch EC players”
  • FoosFoos Posts: 81
    Classic client is completely broken on new computers.  I can barely move in it. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    We mods are trying very hard to enforce rule 9 of the forum's terms of service
    No Posting In Breach Of Games’ Terms of Service
    We are failing abysmally.