Glacial items policy changes

Why has there been no official announcement?? @Mesanna ;

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,049
    Can you provide a link to this policy that was changed?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,249
    Some people are saying it on Stratics but so far NO posts have been seen from anyone saying that their stuff was deleted, so is this BS trying to smear UO or does some one have proof that it happened.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Someone's glacial weapons on their auction safes got hue defaulted and there is outcry over it.

Considering the fact that all glacial weapons with base names are a byproduct of the doggy dupe exploit, it baffles me as to how anyone could be surprised or even upset when said items are actioned when attempting to profit from them.
    gay said:
    Someone's glacial weapons on their auction safes got hue defaulted and there is outcry over it.

Considering the fact that all glacial weapons with base names are a byproduct of the doggy dupe exploit, it baffles me as to how anyone could be surprised or even upset when said items are actioned when attempting to profit from them.
    Kind of funny that that happened so long long ago and she is just now getting around to doing something about it.  Wasn't the Vine Cord Sandals duped and they said they could stay but something that does not affect game play and has been around for a very long time all of a sudden needs fixed.  You would think that if she was deleting/changing the color that there would be way more than just one event of this being done.
    gay said:

Kind of funny that that happened so long long ago and she is just now getting around to doing something about it.  Wasn't the Vine Cord Sandals duped and they said they could stay but something that does not affect game play and has been around for a very long time all of a sudden needs fixed.  You would think that if she was deleting/changing the color that there would be way more than just one event of this being done.

Vine cords definitely weren't allowed to stay after they were duped lol. If you remember the "Effigy of a traitor" scarecrows that were put down on top of burnt down houses full of duped stuff, you might also remember the pair of sandals on a block that was at the heart of the majority of those houses, labeled "a useless pair of sandals".
    gay said:
    gay said:

Vine cords definitely weren't allowed to stay after they were duped lol. If you remember the "Effigy of a traitor" scarecrows that were put down on top of burnt down houses full of duped stuff, you might also remember the pair of sandals on a block that was at the heart of the majority of those houses, labeled "a useless pair of sandals".
    OK Stand corrected. I heard because there were so mony of the Vine Cords that they just left and because I knew no one that had them I did know that they deleted them.  Yes I remember all those houses but that was for massive gold dupe and other items not just Vine Cords.  UO even bragged about all the gold they wiped when really it was just a drop in the bucket.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    edited April 2023
    My memory must be faulty, because my memory says these items have always been deleted if found.
    Further research reveals:

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    after all these years they are now deleting the color of a pickaxes ?
    so someone is talking in someones ears now they take action ?
    easy to see why all the shards are so empty...
    dont they have more important things to do like delete the store dyed items minocian fire ?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Grimbeard said:
    Why has there been no official announcement?? @ Mesanna 

Not sure why you are tagging Mesanna... she hasn't logged into her own forum for over a year. That should tell you all need to know about the response you will get (better yet - the lack thereof).

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,999
    keven2002 said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Why has there been no official announcement?? @ Mesanna 

Not sure why you are tagging Mesanna... she hasn't logged into her own forum for over a year. That should tell you all need to know about the response you will get (better yet - the lack thereof).

She probably just looks without logging in 
    So where do you get these glacial items? If they were not from an event then why are any still around?

@Grimbeard you neglected to link the policy you say was changed. 

Maybe the GMs are doing their jobs like y'all ask. But then complain when they do. 
    edited April 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    That is a change of policy for the trade forum.  Just because Stratics was allowing illegal items to be sold and now is wiser, means nothing.

Your title says a policy was changed, where is that policy that said it was legal to own these items?

Why does Mesanna need to comment on a forums policy change? Are you really that despirate to read something she writes?  EMAIL HER!
    Why does someone with no time for new content have time to delete bridge houses and desecration of players memorials and now randomly enforcement of a rule she allowed to be ignored? 
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    That is a change of policy for the trade forum.  Just because Stratics was allowing illegal items to be sold and now is wiser, means nothing.

Your title says a policy was changed, where is that policy that said it was legal to own these items?

Why does Mesanna need to comment on a forums policy change? Are you really that despirate to read something she writes?  EMAIL HER!
    https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/mays-uo-newsletter 
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:

https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/mays-uo-newsletter 
    I have removed illegal cloth, dye tubs and many sets of armor from the game.  As far as the ownership of glacial and/or void items, all glacial and void clothing items will be deleted.  If you have cloth that you are selling for yourself or others remove it from the vendors immediately.

I do not see where it says glacial pick axes are legal here. I see it saying glacial things are illegal to own. 

Grimbeard said:
    Why does someone with no time for new content have time to delete bridge houses and desecration of players memorials and now randomly enforcement of a rule she allowed to be ignored? 

She is not removing the glacial items, GMs are...

Yes rules are enforced, isn't that a good thing?  Half the threads on this forum are complaining about rules not being enforced, the other half are bugs that are not bugs.

I still see no link saying Glacial Pickaxes are legal to own. 

So where is this policy change?

Says “all glacial and void clothing items will be deleted” not pickaxes or any else other than clothing items.  
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    You did read the date on that newsletter link I posted?
    The items have always been illegal, just someone decided to actually report them this time.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited May 2023
    Mariah said:
    The items have always been illegal, just someone decided to actually report them this time.

it specifically says only cloth items.  yes, cloth was made illegal over 5 years ago.  non-cloth items have been allowed. 
    Smoot said:
    Mariah said:

it specifically says only cloth glacial items.  yes, we all knew cloth was made illegal over 5 years ago.  items have been allowed. 
    Exactly wishy-washy at best leadership on display here maybe Mesanna should start deleting her own creations like the LS  moonglow monstrosity or better yet pay attention to NL and quit deleting stuff on whims
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    In the TOS, anything can be deleted at a whim.  or any account banned.  you dont own your items, broadsword does. 

As a rares collector, the safest items are officially sanctioned, mean EM items.  but even those can and have been changed.  spellbooks with container fuction have had container function removed, among other changes.
    Server Births are never safe.  weve seen many items be re-released making a once rare server birth indistiguishable from a common item.  theres always a risk with owning these items

The recent new stance on glacial items is sort of the same.  these were exploit items to begin with, so while the risk was lower than explicitly named delete on sight items, there was still risk.

The problem is people who were around at the time realize this alot more than newer collectors who just want to show off something bright.  it was what?  2007 or 8 that glacial dupes happened?  back around that time i found a pile of maybe 50 glacial items on the ground, and they were everywhere, cheap and plentiful.  so as an older collector i never valued them much.
    but someone newer who wasnt around that time would be much more likely to spend high amounts on them, without thinking of the risk (since theyve been bought and sold freely for 15 years)  So its unfortunate that this new stance punishes newer collectors who didnt know any better.  but also not surprising.  We all have to realize that these are pixels owned by Broadsword.  ours to enjoy, but never entirely safe
    Smoot said:
    In the TOS, anything can be deleted at a whim.  or any account banned.  you dont own your items, broadsword does. 

As a rares collector, the safest items are officially sanctioned, mean EM items.  but even those can and have been changed.  spellbooks with container fuction have had container function removed, among other changes.
    Server Births are never safe.  weve seen many items be re-released making a once rare server birth indistiguishable from a common item.  theres always a risk with owning these items

The recent new stance on glacial items is sort of the same.  these were exploit items to begin with, so while the risk was lower than explicitly named delete on sight items, there was still risk.

The problem is people who were around at the time realize this alot more than newer collectors who just want to show off something bright.  it was what?  2007 or 8 that glacial dupes happened?  back around that time i found a pile of maybe 50 glacial items on the ground, and they were everywhere, cheap and plentiful.  so as an older collector i never valued them much.
    but someone newer who wasnt around that time would be much more likely to spend high amounts on them, without thinking of the risk (since theyve been bought and sold freely for 15 years)  So its unfortunate that this new stance punishes newer collectors who didnt know any better.  but also not surprising.  We all have to realize that these are pixels owned by Broadsword.  ours to enjoy, but never entirely safe
    Is there anyone who looking at the UO  priority list has rares, bridges houses or players memorials in even the top twenty of things to fix/address???
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,175
    Smoot said:
    Mariah said:

it specifically says only cloth items.  yes, cloth was made illegal over 5 years ago.  non-cloth items have been allowed. 

Exactly

The second Issue I want to address is the influx of glacial and void cloth in the game.  Due to a tragic lapse in judgement where an Event Moderator felt like they needed to cheat to get ahead I have removed illegal cloth, dye tubs and many sets of armor from the game.  As far as the ownership of glacial and/or void items, all glacial and void clothing items will be deleted.  If you have cloth that you are selling for yourself or others remove it from the vendors immediately.  The Event Moderator program has been going strong nearly 8 years now, and we have all worked hard to ensure its success.  Please know that this situation has not been taken lightly, nor is this behavior tolerated.  As we move past this situation we will work harder then ever to deliver exciting in game events via the Event Moderator program.

All of this is regarding CLOTH items..not pickaxes or any other NON cloth glacial items.

Now, we did get a semi-official response:

According to this:

Alot of the glacial and neon pink hue is illegal....Not ALL glacial and neon pink hue...just alot of it...

Doesn't say WHAT items.....just a lot of them :/

The only solid 100% thing in this response that we know is that spellbooks are okay.

It's a bit wishy washy as far as a response...

Sorry.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 90
    What are those screenshots supposed to be, evidence? It's pretty ridiculous to post such non-official, non-provable screenshots that anyone could fake instead of waiting for an official answer. Information from the very obviously no longer official fan site Stratics should also be taken with a grain of salt. That site went rogue months ago, and nothing posted there will help end this "glacial items scandal" (which only really seems to be an issue for "rares" collectors/sellers, as always).

No one else cares if these illegal items are gone, we have enough legal ugly colors already.
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
    edited May 2023
    Vagabond said:
    What are those screenshots supposed to be, evidence? It's pretty ridiculous to post such non-official, non-provable screenshots that anyone could fake instead of waiting for an official answer. Information from the very obviously no longer official fan site Stratics should also be taken with a grain of salt. That site went rogue months ago, and nothing posted there will help end this "glacial items scandal" (which only really seems to be an issue for "rares" collectors/sellers, as always).

No one else cares if these illegal items are gone, we have enough legal ugly colors already.
    Oh i despise the rares community grave robbing ghouls I'd instantly transport all items back to their home shard in a museum shard bound em items but that doesn't excuse the wishy-washy behavior of people so focused on NL that we get no new content 
    edited May 2023
    Vagabond said:

we got a semi-unofficial response to that btw

you know it's valid because NL is being promoted in it.
  • KarynKaryn Posts: 55
    Vagabond said:
    Information from the very obviously no longer official fan site Stratics should also be taken with a grain of salt. That site went rogue months ago, and nothing posted there will help end this "glacial items scandal" (which only really seems to be an issue for "rares" collectors/sellers, as always).

What does Stratics have to do with this, and how has it "gone rogue"? 
    Vagabond said:

FAKE NEWS !!!
    gay said:
    Vagabond said:

we got a semi-unofficial response to that btw

you know it's valid because NL is being promoted in it.

Perfect! Now I believe everything they said!

:D
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
    Karyn said:
    Vagabond said:
    Information from the very obviously no longer official fan site Stratics should also be taken with a grain of salt. That site went rogue months ago, and nothing posted there will help end this "glacial items scandal" (which only really seems to be an issue for "rares" collectors/sellers, as always).

What does Stratics have to do with this, and how has it "gone rogue"? 
    When an "employee" of Stratics posts here and posts screenshots of replies they have received, pretending they are real messages, but showing no real proof. Also, Stratics decided a long time ago to include third party tools/information on their forums, which would not be allowed on official fanpages/forums afaik, and I cannot find them on the fansites link list either.
    Skett said:
    Vagabond said:

FAKE NEWS !!!
    You know, I'm not a trumpist and so I'd like to check sources for finding proof.

B)