Uses for Camping Skill

Ultima Online has too many skills, but as long as we have useless ones, they should at least be made useful. A popular private server makes Camping very useful, and it got me thinking about how it could be made more useful here, perhaps with New Legacy in mind. Here are some random ideas:

• Camping provides buffs when a camp is established
  • Different kindling and different bedrolls provide different buffs
  • Store the location of your camp, to which you can fast travel
  • Call party members and guild members to your camp location
  • Synergize with bard skills: Music played at campsites provides buffs
  • Synergize with cooking: Meals prepared at campsites provide buffs
  • Synergize with necromancy/spirit speak: call dead party/guild members to your campsite, resurrect the dead at higher skill levels
  • Synergize with healing and vet: bandages always succeed
  • Outfit your campsite with accessories - limited storage, a hitching post, an anvil, a chatty NPC...
  • Synergize with crafting skills: different skills provide access to different accessories
  • Synergize with rogue skills: uninsured items stored at players' campsites may be stolen, although any containers may be locked or trapped
  • Campsites would still not persist. They would disappear after a time.

I like the idea of a uniquely "Ultima Online" skill that provides a way to buff your friends and that synergizes with other skills in interesting ways.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,049
    Disagree, remove useless skills. We do not need more skills.

I can see the next event using Camping...
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    edited April 2023
    I hope so I have gm camping on a soul stone frag from way back lol it still has 2 uses left on it
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,999
    Pawain said:

Many new skills are needed architect and interior designer for instance many players would love to design and sell houses
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2023
    Camping is actually pretty useful with human JoaT. Have used it plenty of times to get a log out spot in the midddle of t2a to swap chrs, just carry a knife.

However something that I've been asking for years is this, why don't elves have a base 20-30 skill in both camping and tracking? Their lore is literally that they've lived their lives in the forests and wilderness, yet somehow they have no capability of rubbing two sticks together to make a camp fire, or tracking?

@Mesanna @Misk @Kyronix @Bleak the original dev team really dropped the ball with that one, maybe it's time to fix that.

On a side note, not every skill needs some skill-gated application that makes it worth training and skills like camping are novel in that everyone should be able to set up a camp, and it serves it's singular purpose (to create a safe logout area) regardless of skill level, and if someone chooses to train it to GM, then that's completely their decision. I don't see any point in it's removal, and also no point in changing it to do anything more or less than it does now. On a side note, you don't need to carry bed rolls around anymore to use it.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    Pawain said:
    AGREED. If you guys want the OL experience just go play that. 
  • HippoHippo Posts: 276
    For those who GM'd Camping, what is the title, please? I could prob GM on an alt char just from pinks...
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    Pawain said:

So what?
    As with everything else in UO if you don't find it interesting and fun don't do it.

Loop's idea sounds interesting. I can see myself spending a couple of weeks exploring it.
    If after that I decide it doesn't fit my game play that's what soul stones are for.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,049
    Tim said:
    Pawain said:

So what?
    As with everything else in UO if you don't find it interesting and fun don't do it.

Loop's idea sounds interesting. I can see myself spending a couple of weeks exploring it.
    If after that I decide it doesn't fit my game play that's what soul stones are for.
    I can't. If it benefits me I must use it!

Now I have to have stupid luck suits. So no, I do not want have fit another 100 points on a template because someone wants to use old un needed skills.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 896
    Camping was the best skill in the game (on LS at least) in 2012-2013 ish..
    most of you don't know what you missed, probably for the better.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659