??? What’s a mob

Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
edited April 2023 in General Discussions
Sorry after looking quickly at the threads still don’t know what you are talking about.  Does this warning just refer to pvp?  Mob by definition is a large group so it would be hard to extend your warning to rabbit hunters, and don’t really see how you could box in the mob making up the first wave of the event.  I am sure long time players like Pawain, know what and even who you are referring that warning to, but I am a newer player and really don’t know what you are referring to.  I just want to know if you are referring to the rabbit or the current event spawn.  Maybe it would help if you defined what UO considers a mob.  Thanks.

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    edited April 2023
    Here it's any monster or animal that attacks you. (as i understand it myself)

The current gen pvpers can be referred to simply as peckerheads. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited April 2023
    A MOB (mobile) is anything that moves around and can be hostile or non-hostile, this would also include dogs pets NPCs Greater Dragons ETC.  I googled MOD and could not find any connections to programing but that is what everybody calls them.   Just found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_(video_games)  https://history-computer.com/what-does-mob-stand-for-in-gaming/
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The practice that is being punished is that of building an impassable barrier on fields that do not have a fence to prevent the vorpal bunnies from running around, mostly with bagballs. The practice is known as 'blocking'.
    There are other, acceptable, ways of achieving the desired result which posters here have been sharing with less knowledgable players in the two threads on the topic.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited April 2023
    Thanks for responding quickly.  Had read the posts but really did not understand most of what had been said.  Also, thanks Lord_Frodo for the gaming definition of a mob.  Good example of words having different meanings in different environments,  Would be a great teaching example for anyone teaching language.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    @Arnold7 MOB is Mobile OBject.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    TWAIN is Technology Without An Interesting Name.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited April 2023
    "if you say vendor buy, and buy bagball to block rabbit you are banned.
    But if you say vendor buy and buy cat or dog and use it to block rabbit it's okay.

Keep banning trammel players with unwritten rules please"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    Yoshi said:
    But if you say vendor buy and buy cat or dog and use it to block rabbit it's okay.

Show me where you are doing that.  >:)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Yoshi said:

There is one difference, though....

Bagballs, one can use as many as wanted, with cats and dogs, one is limited to 5 followers, unless using multiple accounts that is....
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited April 2023
    Yoshi said:
    But if you say vendor buy and buy cat or dog and use it to block rabbit it's okay."
    I know, right?

Ralph Koster wrote something once, I cannot find it now for the life of me, about how a wee bit of extra personnel hours up front on design and coding can save you gobs of money on the backend policing.

Bleak seems like a pretty damn solid software engineer. I'm guessing it would have taken him less than a day (probably more like an hour) to implement and document vorpals teleporting to a new open tile if movement was blocked, then repeating if movement was still blocked.

Would have saved the team a front page post, a bunch of GM time, and a whole group of frustrated players.

popps said:

There is one difference, though....

Bagballs, one can use as many as wanted, with cats and dogs, one is limited to 5 followers, unless using multiple accounts that is....
    You only ever need four...

-Arroth
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited April 2023
    Yoshi said:

Bad comparaison. Yoshi what's so hard to understand that a bagball is IMPASSABLE, while pets/players are just stam blocking, someone can still go throught them. Impassable objects are what's violating the rules.

Whatever the context you are using to use a bagball to block something, is against the rules.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,898
    Yoshi said:

Bad comparaison. Yoshi what's so hard to understand that a bagball is IMPASSABLE, while pets/players are just stam blocking, someone can still go throught them. Impassable objects are what's violating the rules.

Whatever the context you are using to use a bagball to block something, is against the rules.
    Plus animals would only work in fel and we all know sweet players justice would take care of it