What is the most efficient Template to farm the Cavern of the Discarded Mini-Champs ?

I am in need to re-stock my Essence of Balance which drops from the Ratmen at the Cavern of the Discarded Mini-Champs. The blue Clan Chitter, the Red Clan Scratch and the Green Clan Ribbon.

Since I want to re-stock several hundreds essences, I would like the process to be smooth and fast or it would take way too much of my scarce time available to spend in a game.

Question is, what would be the most efficient Template to deal with this particular spawn which would be able to kill quickly all of the ratmen and have no problems in surviving there ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• DrowyDrowy Posts: 128
    Swordsman Sampire and if you can bring a second account for boss, I would bring a Discord/Tamer.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited March 2023
    Drowy said:
    Swordsman Sampire and if you can bring a second account for boss, I would bring a Discord/Tamer.
    Vermin or Repond Slayer ?

Any other suggestion to more efficiently deal with this particular spawn ?

When you say Discord/Tamer, do you mean a Tamer using a Discord pet ?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    Only a fisher cook will truly thrive here
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited March 2023
    So you did not try a template to see how difficult or easy these are? Instead of looking up their names to act like you know what you are doing. You could have done that.

Take a toon there and kill them. 

Then you can move onto a thread saying how the drop rate is too small.

You could buy the essence on Atl VS or look on your shards. Would be much quicker.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    So you did not try a template to see how difficult or easy these are? Instead of looking up their names to act like you know what you are doing. You could have done that.

You could buy the essence on Atl VS or look on your shards. Would be much quicker.
    See Allen is trying to keep you from learning the truth about fisher cooks
  • Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Fisher Cooks are soooo 2019, it's Fisher Campers now.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Fisher Cooks are soooo 2019, it's Fisher Campers now.
    Shhhhh don't give away all the secrets 
    Pawain said:

Hmmm.... it looks like then, if I am understanding you correctly (please, correct me if I understood it all wrong....) that you are suggesting that this spawn is a royal waste of time because the drop rate for the Essence of Balance makes it totally unproductive ?

Mkay, thanks for the heads up !
    Yes you have play to get a chance at an item. Just like I will be doing tonight at Craps.
  • ValeriaValeria Posts: 97
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Hmmm.... it looks like then, if I am understanding you correctly (please, correct me if I understood it all wrong....) that you are suggesting that this spawn is a royal waste of time because the drop rate for the Essence of Balance makes it totally unproductive ?

IMO - correct. So many other ingredients drop that it dilutes the pool of resource gathering. 

But I believe repond is the winner and the regular old sampire is the best.

Unless begging works. Then that.  ;)
  • ValeriaValeria Posts: 97
    Actually yeah. Put it on the change request log. I want to wear a rat costume (that exists right?) And be able to beg from other rats down there without taking aggro.

What a feature that would be @Kyronix ; o:)
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited March 2023
    How very sad, once again instead of trying something for yourself you come on here and ask others how to do the simplest thing. 

It must be so embarrassing being this useless at the game after playing so long to have to ask others instead of trying and learning for yourself.

It woud take 5 minutes to work out how to do this spawn. 5 MINUTES

Pathetic really
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    popps said:
    I am in need to re-stock my Essence of Balance which drops from the Ratmen at the Cavern of the Discarded Mini-Champs. The blue Clan Chitter, the Red Clan Scratch and the Green Clan Ribbon.
    Thanks for the help.
    So how did you get the Essence in the first place, you used the word RE-STOCK which means you collected it in the past.  I am waiting for the day you request someone to come to your house and play UO for you.  How many bows are you making that you need that much balance because we know you are not making them for others.
    When SA came out, I think everyone did this spawn. Could do it with evs, greater dragon, any melee or archer/tthrowers.

It woud take 5 minutes to work out how to do this spawn. 5 MINUTES

Pathetic really

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited March 2023
    I don’t know why I am even entertaining this but here goes 

I am creating 21 new chars on on a new shard for a bit of entertainment whilst waiting for the next event 

one of which is a Sampire 

she can complete ALL spawns with ease with her complete cameo and imbued double axe super slayer set.  I am building up a great SA ingredients stock but more importantly having a blast and reminiscing about when SA came out 

I am HAVING FUN Popps   You know how to do that?

So try that, play the game and stop coming here to ask questions about how to do anything  before giving it a go for yourself 

trial and error. Took me 5 mins to work out how to do there spawns there efficiently. Oh, these spawns and one with a Wyvern requires my second Acct and screen with a disco tamer to finish the bosses quickly 

Damn, I actually  helped Popps 

and DON’T bore anyone moaning about the artifact drop rate. And don’t you DARE start writing novels, quoting, arguing and debating with me about how I do this 

there is your answer. And I don’t care if you don’t like it.  It works for me and that’s all that matters to me in this instance 

finally I refuse to allow you to suck all the fun I am having out of ingredient gathering over the last 2 months 

answer complete. Unless you annoy me I shall contribute no more to this thread.  Here is your answer. Learn from it and away you go 

you ain’t going to get 100’s quickly, spend less time killing people here and you will have loads more time for the game 

Dammit I wrote a novel, how exhausting and boring 
    Valeria said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

IMO - correct. So many other ingredients drop that it dilutes the pool of resource gathering. 

But I believe repond is the winner and the regular old sampire is the best.

Unless begging works. Then that.  ;)
    Thank you for your reply.

I have been looking up about Repond and Vermin, and they seem to be both Super Slayers (Double Damage).

Apparently, it looks like that there is no "Slayer" (triple damage) for the Cavern of the Discarded creatures.

Also, i do not understand the writing at the UO Wiki https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/slayer-property-items/ , @Mariah , what do they mean ?

The Table "Slayer Groups" --> "Humanoid Group (opposed to Undead Group)" indicates the 2nd Column as "Repond Slayer and Goblin Slayer" while the 3rd Column as "Repond Slayer and Vermin Slayer".

Does that mean, that the Repond slayer alone won't be effective when fighting versus either Goblins or the creatures at the Cavern of the Discarded but it has to be used in conjunction with their the Goblin slayer, also, or the Vermin slayer in order to then have an effect versus Goblins or the creatures at the Cavern of the Discarded ?

And, assuming that one was to use a Repond Slayer on the Sampire's weapon and a Talisman that is a Vermin Slayer, what would be the damage done to the Creatures at the Cavern of the Discarded ? The 200% that Double Slayers do, or 300% that Single Slayers do ?

Question is, is it necessary for the Sampire to have a suit that has 100% DI in order to maximize damage done to the Creatures at the Cavern of the Discarded, or not ?

Also, when you say "regular old sampire is the best ", do I understand it as correctly the one that has 99 Necromancy skill to use the Vampiric Embrace form ? With Bushido (how many skill points?) for Lightning Strike ? Parry ?

Thanks.

edited March 2023
    popps said:
    Thanks for the help.
    So how did you get the Essence in the first place, you used the word RE-STOCK which means you collected it in the past.  I am waiting for the day you request someone to come to your house and play UO for you.  How many bows are you making that you need that much balance because we know you are not making them for others.
    IDOCs, Vendor Search, just the plain old Trade Window with other players.... this time, though, I wanted to restock it myself (stacked materials now get deleted at IDOCs...) unless, it requires an inordinate amount of time to get it to drop which I seem to understand Pawain warned me about, in his post....
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Personally I like my Chiv/Archer/Bushi/Tactic/Tame/Lore Toon there  but my Herder/Camper/Forensic/Tracker/Snooping/Legendary Bank Sitter is by far the most effective template for that area.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The information in the wiki indicates that both repond and goblin slayer items are affective against goblins. Repond and Vermin slayer are both affective against Ratmen.
    edited March 2023
    Why do you want to play a melee toon without 100% DI? @popps.

I still use the guy I made for ML. My non sampire Macer. He still can kill there.  This is old content. Nothing is hard enough to require a sampire unless you are doing the peerless or Slasher.

The red ratmen are who you equip for. The rest of the stuff is one or two hits. The red rat men take a while.
  • Tyrath said:
     Personally I like my Chiv/Archer/Bushi/Tactic/Tame/Lore Toon there  but my Herder/Camper/Forensic/Tracker/Snooping/Legendary Bank Sitter is by far the most effective template for that area.

Close to what i use except i have taste id so in can tell which essences are spoiled.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• RockoRocko Posts: 174
    Pawain said:

Pawain, +1. 
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Tyrath said:

Close to what i use except i have taste id so in can tell which essences are spoiled.

I used to run taste ID when doing them but they went all passive when ya started licking them, took all the challenge out of it :(
  • SarkonSarkon Posts: 61
    I'm curious.  Since when is it expected for us all to play at the pinnacle of efficiency in this game and never ask questions on these forums anymore?  Not everyone knows everything about this game, even if they have played for years or have thousands of forum posts.  This was a simple question that required a simple answer like "Sampire swordsman with Repond double axe." Instead, OP got blasted.  How many people reading these forums also have basic questions that most players know the answer to, but don't ask because they are also afraid of getting the "do it yourself, noob," or "you're so pathetic for not already knowing this," type of responses.  This forum IS the how-to manual for this game.  If someone doesn't know something, they SHOULD come here to ask.  Who cares of the OP "should" already know this information?  Just give the guy an answer that works for you or don't...there's no need to be a jackass about it though.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited March 2023
    Sarkon said:
    I'm curious.  Since when is it expected for us all to play at the pinnacle of efficiency in this game and never ask questions on these forums anymore?  Not everyone knows everything about this game, even if they have played for years or have thousands of forum posts.  This was a simple question that required a simple answer like "Sampire swordsman with Repond double axe." Instead, OP got blasted.  How many people reading these forums also have basic questions that most players know the answer to, but don't ask because they are also afraid of getting the "do it yourself, noob," or "you're so pathetic for not already knowing this," type of responses.  This forum IS the how-to manual for this game.  If someone doesn't know something, they SHOULD come here to ask.  Who cares of the OP "should" already know this information?  Just give the guy an answer that works for you or don't...there's no need to be a jackass about it though.

If it was anyone else asking the question it would work basically how you noted. If you have a few days to go down the rabbit hole go look at the threads the OP creates and read them. Typically you wouldn't be wrong here but there is a reason that this guy has like 50% of his threads locked/closed.

I'll summarize for everyone though; Popps asks a question that could probably be figured out simply by logging in / players ask questions about what he is trying to do / popps gives a bunch of hypotheticals without actually saying what he's looking to do / players give answers to hypothetical question / popps disputes the logic / players respond asking for actual scenario / popps dodges the questions and says answers don't make sense /  popps tags Kyronix saying the game should work based on his opinion (but speaks for everyone) / people that actually know & play the game become irritated because the request doesn't make sense.

Then while that thread is still going on he starts another thread about something else totally random to get people started over there too. This is like 95% of what he posts. He'll talk about cave of the discarded / luck on a crafter / stealables for a thief all within 2 hours of each other. There have been plenty of times people give him answers to questions and it never ends with "ok thanks", it usually goes into "well that doesn't make sense... because XYZ and how I play the game... at least the way I see it".

If there was an ignore feature on the forums like there is on Stratics, I'm sure many others along with myself would use it for popps. I typically try to ignore his threads all together because it usually just turns into some back and forth debate about hypothetical situations according to the way he thinks the game should be.
  • SarkonSarkon Posts: 61
    It seems people allowed past posts to derail current ones then.  Still, this was a valid question, and people have valid answers to it.  If everyone did their own research and solved their own problems within the game and never asked questions, there wouldn’t be a need for this forum at all.  I mean, we can all just use YouTube, right? 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Sarkon said:
    Because with particular poster the odds that he is actually going to listen and go down with a swords sampire with a repond slayer are slim to none.  Much more likely he will just complain that some other template doesn’t work the same and never set foot with any character in the cavern.
    Sarkon said:
    It seems people allowed past posts to derail current ones then.  Still, this was a valid question, and people have valid answers to it.  If everyone did their own research and solved their own problems within the game and never asked questions, there wouldn’t be a need for this forum at all.  I mean, we can all just use YouTube, right? 
    Because we have told him how to do things. Then popps argues and will never do it.

Search his posts. He asks how to do stuff, argues, then never does it.
    Notice he did not even go to the area before he posted. 

Notice when I said he will not get the drop rates he expects he balked.

Also there is no pinnacle of efficiency. I can not play a template that requires multiple keystrokes or fast reflexes.

There is a better way to ask this question.

I am using a xxxx template on the rat men and it takes me xxxx time to kill them.  Is there a faster way with this template or another template that will work better?

Many players like a template. They want to use it and may ask how to kill quicker. Others are willing to make a new template to do a specific encounter.

One answer does not fit all.
    Sarkon said:
    Also this is old content that was done with basic fighters and mages with EVs or Greater Dragons.

This specific encounter can be done with any template that can kill stuff. Kinda like I said earlier in the thread.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Sarkon said:
    Just give the guy an answer that works for you or don't...there's no need to be a jackass about it though.

We all started off polite and respectful. 

After 5000 answers that were met with an essay on why we're wrong it changes you.