Yukio earrings vs hooks shield

Both best in slot items for caster yet one has value and the other doesn't. How do we fix this?

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited March 2023
    Hooks shield was easier to obtain than the earrings and it is always available for sale. For some especially unlucky players the earrings where really difficult to get as your chances of getting a pair was one out of 8 after completing the quest.  They are more rare than the shield hence the higher price.  The Kasa of the Raj-in is a similar item really good for a mage that was from another event that was not too hard get that sells in about the same ball park as hook’s shield.

Pricing in this game is hard to figure sometimes.  Items with really modest modifications from events sometimes sell for absurdly high prices.

Believe you can still get Hook’s Shield in game.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Yes hook shield still available i feel the black market needs refreshed and the stupid cap removed rotate some items from past events through the market especially pumpkin cannons etc
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Why would you need to choose between the two? What need fixing?

I prefer the basic Mage shield from the Roof:

To me, Hooks is not the best in slot.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    That is a nice shield all it needs now is 250 luck :)

Grimbeard said:
    Yes hook shield still available i feel the black market needs refreshed and the stupid cap removed rotate some items from past events through the market especially pumpkin cannons etc
    They need to put the ship deco from the Halloween Orc ships on the vendor.  

Sail Paint.  New sails.  

Water tiles for houses.
    Including:  Still water, Moving water, Waterfall, foamy water, waves.
    edited March 2023
    Wonder why there was so many Yukio's received.
    There was a bug with Yukio's earring where players could determine what time of the UO day to complete the quest and get a guaranteed Yukio.  You had a 20 second period to turn in as many quests as you could. Every UO day.  You had to have many accounts and be very fast. Also had to determine that 20 second period every UO day and get other items.

I think they fixed it in the last few days.
    I compare the two because one was limited and flawed to bget while the other is stagnant and over claimed it's the current lazy "new" content with OP limited time items it would take nothing to put all the new items on the black market at high cost(say double drop price)while removing cap 
    Might as well put them on a clicky.  Too easy to get Mythic crates.
    edited March 2023
    Pawain said:
    It's easy to have that opinion when high seas is not your preferred play style...
    edited March 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    It's easy to have that opinion when high seas is not your preferred play style...
    I still have 75 Mythic cargo in a bank plus what I have in the vendor.  I have done beacons for many hours.

Mythic crates till go for 1M each.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    some great ideas here for the new black market items @Kyronix
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited March 2023
    Re: loot shields.

Most of the legendary artifact shields are cleanup or unravel points -- they tend to all be variations of the above "mystic ... of wizardry"  - 2 name (prefix and suffix).  The shield example above is missing a 8th mod as well (commonly an eater or another regen) -- certainly not transmog worthy.  There is probably some issue with the shield loot generation algorithm.

The best loot shields in the game are no name, or 1 name legendary artifacts.  (no prefix or suffix, or just one prefix/suffix).  This extends to some armor pieces as well.

The best artifact/event class shields for mages are:
    • Hooks shield (for PVM SDI dmg, also with resists).
    • Museum vesper chaos shield (2 FC (1/w SC), 2FCR).  Can transmog this for gargoyle/dual use.
    • Mystic's Guard.  Gargoyle shield.
    • Hephaestus (the non ephemeral one, from cora).

A crafted wooden luck shield is good too, but can be eclipsed by aforementioned no-name / 1 name shields.

A new crafting recipe for Yukio earring would be good, as well as addressing the gargoyle "shortfall" with it (as detailed in a thread in the bugs forum).

no name shield example, appears to also be pre- 8 mod update:

• Pawain said:
    Why would you need to choose between the two? What need fixing?

I prefer the basic Mage shield from the Roof:

To me, Hooks is not the best in slot.
    The Soul Charge on that is only really useful if you're taking hits. The +5 INT isn't all that great if you're already capped at 150 INT (not hard to do). The +5 Mana is fine. The 4 MR is only useful if you're not already capped at 30 MR (which is fairly easy to do). The 5% LMC isn't very useful since it's so easy to cap at 40% LMC on mage suits.
    Hook's Shield has +10% SDI (which is always useful for an actual Mage) on a slot where it's not normally available. It also has FC 1 with no neg Casting (making it easier for SWers to hit the 4 FC Cap). The 15% DCI is a bonus (especially if you're using a -0 Mage Wep or have Wrest).
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited March 2023
    For a fighting mage Hooks Shield with the 15% defense chance increase, 10% spell damage increase and 1% faster casting would generally be the better choice.  Don’t think anything else in that slot increases spell damage and most other shields reduce casting speed.

The Mystic Shield of Wizardry is a good mage shield as well and could fit quite well into certain mage suits designed to take advantage of it’s features.  But the mods it offers, except for the soul charge, are generally where you want them in the suit and jewelry a fighting mage, one that relies on magery and other casting skills,  wears.
    With stats on your shield that's more room for skills on jewels. My mages run protection so fc is a useless spot. DCI is not what I need.

You can have a suit piece with more mana and not need a property on the shield.

I have 5 mages now. One of them probably carries one for the SDI.

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited March 2023
    Most mages, regardless of whether they are running protection, should be shooting for FCR6.  Same holds true if you're a defensive style mage tamer (pet does all/most damage) or offensive style mage tamer (pet is damage sponge, mage does most of damage).

That's a lot easier to do if you pickup say FCR2 from a shield, I pointed out a couple examples.

This is even more important if you're having to run a luck suit, where 2 jewels have 0 FCR.

FCR6 knocks off 1.5 seconds of cooldown after each casting...

Most defensive style mage tamers should likely have the balakai staff in hand most of the time, which is where DCI becomes quite useful.  If running a luck suit, a mage weap -20, SC, luck 190, DCI is good (bokuto is fine).
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Pawain said:
    With stats on your shield that's more room for skills on jewels. My mages run protection so fc is a useless spot. DCI is not what I need.

PSA - If you are not using a mage weapon (ie you are holding a spellbook & have no wrestling) then DCI is not factored in.
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

PSA - If you are not using a mage weapon (ie you are holding a spellbook & have no wrestling) then DCI is not factored in.
    That is why I do not need a shield with DCI. Kinda like saying, DCI is not what I need.
    edited March 2023
    Most mages, regardless of whether they are running protection, should be shooting for FCR6.  Same holds true if you're a defensive style mage tamer (pet does all/most damage) or offensive style mage tamer (pet is damage sponge, mage does most of damage).

That's a lot easier to do if you pickup say FCR2 from a shield, I pointed out a couple examples.

This is even more important if you're having to run a luck suit, where 2 jewels have 0 FCR.

FCR6 knocks off 1.5 seconds of cooldown after each casting...

Most defensive style mage tamers should likely have the balakai staff in hand most of the time, which is where DCI becomes quite useful.  If running a luck suit, a mage weap -20, SC, luck 190, DCI is good (bokuto is fine).
    Guess I have been playing UO wrong. And will continue to do so.

But FCR is a good thing. Since I use a shield that has mage stats I can have FCR 6 on jewels.