"An error has occurred in the synchronization between the login servers and world. Please close your

Hail All.  
     Been dealing with this for months and it has been getting progressively worse. Got to point yesterday spent over nine hours trying to login to one shard.  i was able to log into others not no luck on the one.
     Then it spread and shards I could formally log into, I could no longer log in to. I sent email which I which to apologize for to UO, pretty frustrated at that point.
      I found a solution, which actually leads me to this post in hopes of fixing the problem without my using my solution.
     If you run a VPN, it completely eliminates that problem, if that's all you care about, you can stop reading now.  two cautions, make sure you find a reputable one and note that the use of a VPN increases the amount of data you use, I have also noted a little lagging at times.
     What I want to know, is Why does this work, and  what I can do to eliminate the  problem without resorting to having to use a VPN simply to play a 25 year old game.
     I have two current lines of thought.
     First, it is on UO's end, they have been experiencing issues with the store and forum and some thoughts have been that it is an unintended consequence of some anti-duping code or related to that delay they put in during last the event to prevent pets from disappearing.
     Second it is the internet provider and there is a problem with that path in some manner. Occam's Razor has me considering this a front runner and that by using a VPN, I am bypassing the problem spot.
     To repeat, I want to find a way to fix the problem without resorting to a VPN. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
     Thank you for taking time to read and REMEMBER, Daylight Saving Time starts tonight, so remember to prepare and set clocks forward an hour for those it applies to

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2023
    "i think you need to contact your isp and give them the ip address of the server you're trying to connect to, and they should be able to run some tests"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Have talked to ISP, they are experiencing no issues. are the ip addresses for Siege, Lake Superior, Atlantic all different, since I am experiencing the problem on all of them?
    edited March 2023
    "back in the day, uo made a little connection utility to test connections to its servers.

it's called uotrace, i tried to find an official download site for it but couldn't but i managed to find a copy of it and just uploaded it here.

please do antivirus checks etc.

the server addresses are still
    atlantic.owo.com
    europa.owo.com etc 

click poll or trace route, see if you can find any problems. And maybe email the results to your isp. "

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Thank you. the one thing I am finding tracing routes is maximum hops exceeded and after the 13th hop I keep getting 0.0.0.0.  Otherwise everything else looks good
  • Host Name                        IP Address        Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s   Ping best/worst
    OpenWrt.lan                      192.168.12.1      1      0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         2      1ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         3      21ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           4      0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           5      0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         6      18ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.161.71.19      7      23ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.161.71.70      8      28ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.177.9.139      9      30ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.164.165.49     10     29ms
    * Unknown Host *                 99.82.180.128     11     42ms
    * Unknown Host *                 150.222.212.179   12     33ms
    * Unknown Host *                 52.95.62.47       13     29ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           14     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           15     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           16     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           17     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           18     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           19     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           20     0ms

"yes i get that message too"
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    im shocked that program even half way works still ! I haven't seen that in like 10- 15 years now
    "maybe you need to check just connection to login server, but i don't know what that is, "
  • I actually ran basically the same thing through the command prompt. I am sure that kind of thing has not changed much over the years.  I just want to fix it, this is nonsense. just trying to switch chars on same shard to do restocking of vendors is a pain.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,945Moderator
    I believe Yoshi is incorrect in saying the  .owo. addresses are still valid. Try these locations:

“The login server address on that website no longer appears to be valid, or at least could not check connection to it”
  • Mariah, this is using the Lake Superior IP, it was even worse using tracert through the command prompt because that went to 30 hops.
    Host Name                        IP Address        Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s   Ping best/worst
    OpenWrt.lan                      192.168.12.1      1      0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         2      1ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         3      25ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         4      18ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         5      20ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           6      0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 192.0.0.1         7      18ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.161.71.19      8      28ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.161.71.70      9      29ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.177.9.139      10     26ms
    * Unknown Host *                 10.164.165.49     11     40ms
    * Unknown Host *                 99.82.180.128     12     44ms
    * Unknown Host *                 150.222.212.179   13     35ms
    * Unknown Host *                 52.95.62.47       14     34ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           15     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           16     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           17     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           18     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           19     0ms
    * Unknown Host *                 0.0.0.0           20     0ms

“number of hops doesn't really matter, ping of 44ms is good, so long as there's no packet loss”
  • Mordin_RockbiterMordin_Rockbiter Posts: 64
    edited March 2023
    It is the maximum hops exceeeded and the 0.0.0.0 that worries me. I can't get into my main shard and after using VPN to visit Siege for training I cant get into Siege without a VPN now. Correction just got into Siege after a few attempts, the first ime in a few hours. Still no luck on LS.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    Sounds like you might have a networking caching issue.

Try the following:
    Make sure the VPN is turned off.
    Open the cmd app in administrator mode
    type ipconfig /flushdns
    Try to log in to your main shard
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    If that does not fix the problem you can try the more powerful command

netsh interface ip delete destinationcache

• Apreciate suggstions, I had tried the dnsflush before tried the destinationcache one.  No luck with either. What I need to do next is talk to someone on UO's end tech support.  Anyone have a numbeer, have not gotten a response with email.

Kragg said:
    It is the maximum hops exceeeded and the 0.0.0.0 that worries me. I can't get into my main shard and after using VPN to visit Siege for training I cant get into Siege without a VPN now. Correction just got into Siege after a few attempts, the first ime in a few hours. Still no luck on LS.

"maximum hops exceeded for me too, its normal i think"
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Sounds silly, but have you rebooted the router/modem?
  • Mordin_RockbiterMordin_Rockbiter Posts: 64
    edited March 2023
    I have TMobile 5ghome internet and have rebooted and reset a few times. I have also used my phone as a hotspot via usb tethering. I have used PC, I have used laptop, I have tried CC, I have tried EC in various combinations.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Of you are using the company provided modem, tell them it quit working and take it back if reboot doesn't fix it. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Morning Pawain. Tell me how that affects my using phone as a hotspot?
    Kragg said:
    Morning Pawain. Tell me how that affects my using phone as a hotspot?
    You wrote that while I was slowly typing so I did not see it.
  • No problem, I completely understand vision and typing issues. This seems so simple, I gave them the cure.  The use of a VPN totally eliminates the problem. The question is how is it doing it and how to apply the fix so I can log in without the use of a VPN. I cant log in to Lake Superior as is. Now I have some computer skills, but not really in that area. Is it perhaps with the Amazon servers or some code of UO's? They know those answers far better than I.
  • Eureka, I may have found it. now it may have been unnesessary, but did afew steps flushing dns, resetting internet etc, but set up custom dns server adress  on my adapter using googles public dns address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4  Now i am not positve that is a good longterm solution but I will go with it for now. If someone else has a better long term solution , please let me know. Still puzzled why that would affect different machines tho.
    Yay Kragg is back!   :)
  • Don't.really drink anymore but this calls for celebratory one and treating myself for meal tonight. Skol
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,082
    edited March 2023
    I'm wondering if this might also impact UOA? I started getting this a few weeks ago which is something I'll get from time to time and typically resolves itself after a few days (or after rebooting)... but this message has been popping up for me the last few weeks even after rebooting and resetting my modem etc.

• The prcess of changing the adapters setting is actually pretty easy if you need assistance
  • Fiinally got a response from "UO" Broadsword support. It was an email telling me their emails weren't getting through.  Leads to the question, if your emails aren't getting through, how did I get this one? This observation. I don't seem to have an issue with anyone else, so maybe it is not everyone else that has the problem, it's you.