BG's Fishing Pole

Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
edited March 2023 in General Discussions
First, I can't believe I just had to download and run Firefox to post here because the browsers 90% of the world use won't work. And before anyone questions it..

How many people are using Firefox?
330 Million Population
ChromeSafariFirefox
48.51%36.33%3.36%
Jul 21, 2021

I'm here to voice my concerns @Kyronix over this fishing pole. It's been asked for , for some time and while I"m sure there are those that appreciate it, even though I begrudgingly picked it, it really was painful to have to burn a reward choice on what's been coded as a 2nd year pick. This would be a fine pick I suppose, for someone with a 2 year old account, but forcing others that have 20+ year old accounts, having to use a choice that could potentially be worth much gold (shard shields) for an item that's not even available on VS on Atl and probably will not be worth much anyway, was unnecessary. Can I ask why the fishing pole couldn't have just been altered to perform similar to shovels/pick axe, where we can actually tell it what we don't want to acquire like stone/gems...? At the very least this could have simply been added to the reward pool for the Fish Monger quest...ranking at the top of course above Power Scrolls ? Or game content-wise, it could have been a Quest Chain reward even, something that wouldn't be completed quickly but earned.

Npc: "Psst..hey....you like to fish ?...tired of pulling up those useless shoes discarded by others ? My Pappy taught me the secret, and I'd be willing to...." blah blah blah you get it, I don't RP , but I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express'.

Using a Reward pick is not earning this pole, it's being punished for wanting it.

You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    The pole is a complete joke. It is a direct slap in the face to one poster here. As for as downloading another browser, no. Not going to happen. I just smile now when I log in for the 50th time. Can you imagine a new player looking at the game? Would you sub?
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Because you don't need a fishing pole to have the context menu choice of what to fish up, or have the pole itself added to the fishmongers quest, because through that system we already have this: Junk Proof Hook.

And in lieu if spending the time doing the professional fishing quests to get that item, as a reward for a person's continued subscription you can get BG's fishing pole and skip that quest.

I'm in awe of how much durm und strang there has been about this rather innocuous vet reward. If you didn't want to burn your vet reward, grind for hooks. If you don't want to grind for hooks, buy them. If you don't want to buy them, do something else. 

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Jepeth said:
    Because you don't need a fishing pole to have the context menu choice of what to fish up, or have the pole itself added to the fishmongers quest, because through that system we already have this: Junk Proof Hook.

And in lieu if spending the time doing the professional fishing quests to get that item, as a reward for a person's continued subscription you can get BG's fishing pole and skip that quest.

I'm in awe of how much durm und strang there has been about this rather innocuous vet reward. If you didn't want to burn your vet reward, grind for hooks. If you don't want to grind for hooks, buy them. If you don't want to buy them, do something else. 

Well gosh, we should all just take your advice. What a better place it would be huh ?

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Jepeth said:

Well gosh, we should all just take your advice. What a better place it would be huh ?
    And I gave it for free. What a country!
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    I am using Chrome and I have ZERO problems.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2023
    “As far as I’m aware
    the Fishing poll is not account bound
    So you should be able to trade with other players if you don’t wish to pick the vet reward yourself. Same with all vet rewards.

If you have vet rewards gifted to you on your account, the item is free, I never understand the complaint about people ‘using’ a vet reward, it’s a free gift”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Ya Bgs fishing pole is by far the biggest disappointment for a vet reward as it is 

really had the potential to be a Great item :( 

edited March 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “As far as I’m aware
    the Fishing poll is not account bound
    So you should be able to trade with other players if you don’t wish to pick the vet reward yourself. Same with all vet rewards.

If you have vet rewards gifted to you on your account, the item is free, I never understand the complaint about people ‘using’ a vet reward, it’s a free gift”

It is absolutely NOT a free gift, I have paid for it with my subscription fees...it's an incentive to continue paying. Which can be diminished with poor coding, as this one was.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    It's not just that it's terrible it's that the voices of actual fishermen were completely ignored for the pom pom crowd..
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I’m also using Safari, never had any issue”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    "Can I ask why the fishing pole couldn't have just been altered to perform similar to shovels/pick axe, where we can actually tell it what we don't want to acquire like stone/gems...? At the very least this could have simply been added to the reward pool for the Fish Monger quest...ranking at the top of course above Power Scrolls ? Or game content-wise, it could have been a Quest Chain reward even, something that wouldn't be completed quickly but earned."

There exist other means to prevent fishing up shoes etc (i.e. the junk proof hook) in the game world.  This item bypasses a mechanic, as do many vet rewards.  The spirit of a vet reward is an item that is nice to have, a special thank you for veteran players, but also something that isn't an absolute necessity.  Some items have no doubt strayed a bit far from this idea - this isn't a hard and fast rule, per say, but the guiding design principle for vet rewards.

Nobody forced you to pick it, and I'm sorry you aren't pleased with it.  Thank you for the feedback. 

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2023
    Kyronix said:
    "Can I ask why the fishing pole couldn't have just been altered to perform similar to shovels/pick axe, where we can actually tell it what we don't want to acquire like stone/gems...? At the very least this could have simply been added to the reward pool for the Fish Monger quest...ranking at the top of course above Power Scrolls ? Or game content-wise, it could have been a Quest Chain reward even, something that wouldn't be completed quickly but earned."

There exist other means to prevent fishing up shoes etc (i.e. the junk proof hook) in the game world.  This item bypasses a mechanic, as do many vet rewards.  The spirit of a vet reward is an item that is nice to have, a special thank you for veteran players, but also something that isn't an absolute necessity.  Some items have no doubt strayed a bit far from this idea - this isn't a hard and fast rule, per say, but the guiding design principle for vet rewards.

Nobody forced you to pick it, and I'm sorry you aren't pleased with it.  Thank you for the feedback. 

The Biggest plus so far is that I claimed it on Siege and it doesn't wear out (no uses) so i have a SC -0 Fishing pole that won't Break plus it wont make my goat fat anymore. So thank you for that.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Kyronix said:

Shouldn't catching footwear or no names diminish with skill gain? The fact that an item is needed at all is my issue also the fact that fishing poles cannot be imbued or reforged needs to be addressed 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited March 2023
    Hmm, I logged in fine in any browser. Now using Chrome to post this, Edge in PC and Safari on my iPad... what's the issue again? 

I don't mind the BG fishing pole at vet reward as i find nothing useful to buy with my 20+ choices left, but I am irritated by the shard bound nonsense.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Kyronix said:

It was my impression that the Junk Proof hooks were designed to work in conjunction with baited lines, so the chance of rare fish would be better if you weren't wasting charges pulling up footwear. To say that it was designed simply for no shoes, isn't really the case, but thank you for the reply.

• RockoRocko Posts: 174
    Netscape Navigator works beautifully.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    @Garth_Grey - I can't speak to the original intent for the junk proof hooks, however, my point was that a mechanism already existed in the world to prevent shoes from getting fished up.

@Grimbeard - Fishing up footwear has always been part of the UO fishing experience.  I'm not a big fan of the "because it's always been this way" approach, but in this particular case it's become such a part of UO fishing that I'd be hard pressed to see it changed.  To the idea that greater fishing skill should reduce the likelihood of fishing up footwear - this I don't agree with.  An angler doesn't know what they've hooked into.  It could be a fish, it could be a treasure chest, it could be anything!  The application of skill comes in getting whatever it is you've hooked into back to the boat! 
    Kyronix said:
    @ Garth_Grey - I can't speak to the original intent for the junk proof hooks, however, my point was that a mechanism already existed in the world to prevent shoes from getting fished up.

@ Grimbeard - Fishing up footwear has always been part of the UO fishing experience.  I'm not a big fan of the "because it's always been this way" approach, but in this particular case it's become such a part of UO fishing that I'd be hard pressed to see it changed.  To the idea that greater fishing skill should reduce the likelihood of fishing up footwear - this I don't agree with.  An angler doesn't know what they've hooked into.  It could be a fish, it could be a treasure chest, it could be anything!  The application of skill comes in getting whatever it is you've hooked into back to the boat! 
    @Kyronix   Wouldn't a more experienced fisher know to keep his hook off the bottom or not to run through the weeds etc but i can live with it. Now how about imbuing and reforging for our poles 
  • Opera works just dandy! 
    Oh, btw, Im sick and tired of shoes!
    Seth said:
    Hmm, I logged in fine in any browser. Now using Chrome to post this, Edge in PC and Safari on my iPad... what's the issue again? 

I don't mind the BG fishing pole at vet reward as i find nothing useful to buy with my 20+ choices left, but I am irritated by the shard bound nonsense.

They're not Shard bound, so you're unnecessarily irritated, but thanks for letting the rest of us know how many choices you have left, oh and that you have no issues staying logged in here while  a majority of us (unless we switch to Firefox) can't.