Who is in favour of a pause to new content to get all BUGs get fixed ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited March 2023 in General Discussions
Some bugs are less annoying and one can live playing UO with them but, depending on the UO player, some bugs really can get on one's own nerves and ruin the UO gameplay enjoyment.

Not having to add new content, could hopefully help have more time to get UO bugs fixed....

I see it as an investment in gaming enjoyment.... suffer a bit for a few months without any new content added but, at a reward of no longer seeing for good those extremely annoying bugs plague one's own UO playing enjoyment.....

So, my question is, would UO players be in favour or not to have like a 6+ months pause in new content being added to see the Developers focus their time on getting UO bugs fixed ?

Oh... and before anyone brings it up, there is no 3rd option in this POLL as available to have the cake and eat it too.... that is, have new content being added and see bugs fixed, also.....

Let's hear what UO players think about this.
  1. Are you in favour of a new contant pause to get bugs fixed ?11 votes
    1. YES, let's get rid of these damn bugs !
      54.55%
    2. NO, I do not care about bugs I want new content !
      45.45%

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    @Mariah ;

Mariah, can you please edit my Post and change in the POLL question the word "contant" to "content", please ?

I cannot edit the POLL words myself.

Thanks.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited March 2023
    I thought they developed the dynamic event backend so that they can create new events easily. 

The Dev is spending the time on NLS development, which is unlikely to pause.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Sorry, I cannot edit a poll. I can only remove it.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,896
    We haven't had NEW content in years how much time are you asking for? 
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    25 years ago there were these types of posts.  Between then and now, there were these types of posts. The bugs are still there and will always be there.  Original poster: how will your post bring about bug fixes and/or new content? News flash: it won't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2023
    “No point voting on anything, they not interested.

I said before there was not a single bug fix on pub 115, so in patch notes they wrote this:

• Refinement Generator – 11 Year
      • Generates random refinement precursors up to Fortified once per week, and stores up to 8 refinements

Bug Fixes

• Resolved issue where display on Imbuing Reagent & Refinement resource producing house addons would not update.  To resolve this issue axe & replace the house addon.
    How you can say you fixed a bug that was not in game in the first place? It’s like saying, added magic sword, bug fix: magic sword no longer deletes everyone’s account…
    they think we are stupid and treat us so”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited March 2023
    Ultima Online is essentially abandonware. We've not gotten a meaningful update in a long time. Crumbs here and there and recycle Quest->Champ->ToT is best we'll get. Hoping for either massive amounts of bug fixes OR actual content is a dream at this point. Either quit or cope. I have sadly chosen the cope route, as I have access to a great copium dealer.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Not defending anyone here but the game is ancient spaghetti code.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I think at this point Rocko’s comment is quite appropriate. I would that guess that enough different programmers have worked on this game that most of the original programming has been compromised to the extent that it has become a maze.  Also, don’t think providing independent  third parties the ability to write programs that interfaced with the original programming was a good idea either.

Enjoy the game the way it is unless you are willing to accept a brand new version built using today’s technology.  Think the EC client was an attempt to do this and it was rejected by many of the players.  Think the programmers do what they can with the code that they have, and think that as is this game has a lot to offer players as is.  I was very upset by the way UO handled the flagging of innocent players as cheats in the last event and that needs to change.  But that was not a problem with the programming; it was a problem with management.

Anyway, this game has far more bugs than any other game I have ever played but overall I accept that’s just the way it is.  I still enjoy playing it most of the time.
    Arnold7 said:
    I think at this point Rocko’s comment is quite appropriate. I would that guess that enough different programmers have worked on this game that most of the original programming has been compromised to the extent that it has become a maze.  Also, don’t think providing independent  third parties the ability to write programs that interfaced with the original programming was a good idea either.

Enjoy the game the way it is unless you are willing to accept a brand new version built using today’s technology.  Think the EC client was an attempt to do this and it was rejected by many of the players.  Think the programmers do what they can with the code that they have, and think that as is this game has a lot to offer players as is.  I was very upset by the way UO handled the flagging of innocent players as cheats in the last event and that needs to change.  But that was not a problem with the programming; it was a problem with management.

Anyway, this game has far more bugs than any other game I have ever played but overall I accept that’s just the way it is.  I still enjoy playing it most of the time.
    This might be going into forbidden area's but not official shards manage what's the difference ??
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Arnold7 said:
    I think at this point Rocko’s comment is quite appropriate. I would that guess that enough different programmers have worked on this game that most of the original programming has been compromised to the extent that it has become a maze.  

*mumbles about freeshards being able to perfectly create any era they want while fixing bugs daily*
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited March 2023
    Urge said:
    Arnold7 said:
    I think at this point Rocko’s comment is quite appropriate. I would that guess that enough different programmers have worked on this game that most of the original programming has been compromised to the extent that it has become a maze.  

*mumbles about freeshards being able to perfectly create any era they want while fixing bugs daily*
    Is the code on freeshards not the same "spaghetti code" as that of the official UO ?

Just asking, since I am not a programmer so, I have no clue whether there may or not be a difference in the code that runs on the Official UO and that which runs on the freeshards....

Perhaps someone more tech informed knows the answer to this ?
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    it makes NO difference.  The Devs will not do anything that you want here.

popps said:
    Urge said:
    Arnold7 said:

Is the code on freeshards not the same "spaghetti code" as that of the official UO ?

Just asking, since I am not a programmer so, I have no clue whether there may or not be a difference in the code that runs on the Official UO and that which runs on the freeshards....

If it is the same spaghetti code that means they download the same patch as everyone else?  I don't think so but I have not played on a freeshard.  I did do an emu on the client over twenty years ago and basically the buildings were there, no doors, no mobs since those are server side.

It also occurs to me that they are coding for two clients.  Guessing here but that takes twice the time?
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I'm also guessing the free shards aren't bothered by minor things like copyright or patents >:)  
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    It is not the same code. Neither the servers nor the clients.
    Emulators
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    popps said:
    Urge said:
    Arnold7 said:

I overheard some rumors that free shard run on capellini, not spaghetti... they also use different sauce.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • No pasta for you - Soup Nazi from Seinfeld  Make a Meme
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• gaygay Posts: 358
    edited March 2023
    Idk why people are out here with their torches and pitchforks. Read UO.com, now that we've been gifted the opportunity, nay the PRIVILEGE to collect our codes with the money we gave them, they're going to be focusing all their efforts into fixing the bugs that really matter... Like users not having to log into the forums anymore... Because as everyone knows cookies and token based authentication for a forum server is a really new and innovative concept that requires a lot of downtime for system admins to really get right. These are the problems that need to be fixed before anything else, could you imagine if <redacted> had to spend 1.6 seconds of their life typing in a username and password before making posts about exploits they've been using for years that other people now use so they should be fixed?
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 285
    No pasta for you - Soup Nazi from Seinfeld  Make a Meme
    Great episode of Seinfeld!  No soup for you!
    edited March 2023
    “the irony, next bug they are working on is making sure people can log in the forum where people post the bugs so they can get back to reading them and doing nothing about them until they ban the bug posters - so they can’t log in again..”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • drcossackdrcossack Posts: 145
    popps said:
    Some bugs are less annoying and one can live playing UO with them but, depending on the UO player, some bugs really can get on one's own nerves and ruin the UO gameplay enjoyment.

Not having to add new content, could hopefully help have more time to get UO bugs fixed....

I see it as an investment in gaming enjoyment.... suffer a bit for a few months without any new content added but, at a reward of no longer seeing for good those extremely annoying bugs plague one's own UO playing enjoyment.....

So, my question is, would UO players be in favour or not to have like a 6+ months pause in new content being added to see the Developers focus their time on getting UO bugs fixed ?

Oh... and before anyone brings it up, there is no 3rd option in this POLL as available to have the cake and eat it too.... that is, have new content being added and see bugs fixed, also.....

Let's hear what UO players think about this.

new content?  We get the same recycled content every few months.  There's no fixes to anything: bugs, lag at EM events, the rampant use of 3rd party programs (especially in pvp...), and the team lead (Mesanna) has no desire to fix the issues.  Every meet and greet with the dev team is the same nonsense requests instead of pressuring them to DO THEIR JOBS and fix the pressing issues with the game.  Whenever they do talk to the players (I still remember the old pvp balance thread on Stratics), they don't listen to what we have to say.

UO may be 25 years old, but every one of the single player games I've played in recent years has had bugs fixed, completely new content every few months (FF14), and even entirely new expansions (also FF14.) 
  • The new content we get is relatively infrequent and duplicative. I was 100% fine with this until I saw, with New Legacy, that more was possible, and it was just a matter of lack of will.

Anyway, for the current thread, the point is that there is no reasonable argument that new content we've been getting is the reason bugs aren't fixed. Whether it's because the code is in such condition that bug squashing is impractical, or because they're spending time and resources on New Legacy, both, or something else I'm not thinking of, I can't tell you.

But one thing it definitely is not is the new content. It can be many things aside from that.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited March 2023
    Seth said:
    I thought they developed the dynamic event backend so that they can create new events easily. 

The Dev is spending the time on NLS development, which is unlikely to pause.
    This.....
    drcossack said:

new content?  We get the same recycled content every few months.  There's no fixes to anything: bugs, lag at EM events, the rampant use of 3rd party programs (especially in pvp...), and the team lead (Mesanna) has no desire to fix the issues.  Every meet and greet with the dev team is the same nonsense requests instead of pressuring them to DO THEIR JOBS and fix the pressing issues with the game.  Whenever they do talk to the players (I still remember the old pvp balance thread on Stratics), they don't listen to what we have to say.

UO may be 25 years old, but every one of the single player games I've played in recent years has had bugs fixed, completely new content every few months (FF14), and even entirely new expansions (also FF14.) 
    ...and this.

The Dev Team spent the better part of an entire year (2020 I think) implementing "Dynamic Tools" for them to be able to insert content easier so they can focus on other stuff (like NL).

I'm willing to accept the cookie cutter content if it's actually coming out every few months but it's not. In reality we get a single cookie cutter event (ie Treasures of Deceit) for 3 months (with Krampus/Artisan Fest repeating as well) and then need to wait a few months (ie Jan/Feb and part of March) for the next cookie cutter type thing to come out. It was the same thing (actually worse) with the Spring event. It was essentially 5 months for just the standard 3 dynamic events. That ended in July and it took until Oct to get the next event. I can see why people play the game time code shuffle when there are months in between "new" things to do (which really boils down to new items).
    edited March 2023
    “there’s already so much content in the game
    I don’t think devs need to do events
    i don’t think we need EMs even

people can and will and do make their own events.

the @here feature of discord reaches more people than any newsletter or EM website”
  • I like this Popp's guy. No Bugs by NL.I like to take a Messanna approach to replying to peoples threads and emails, read two words and just reply Arbitrarily, "life is too short to read" will be on my tombstone,