Average reading speed

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited February 2023 in General Discussions
"Forum moderators have closed threads on debuff to nervestrike because they believe players should not have a debuff and should be able to read the system text.

google defines the following:
The average reading speed varies depending on different sources but is usually in the 200-300 wpm range

let us take the top figure 300/60 = 5 words per second.

Here is the system messages at any one given moment, in this example there is only 1 lone enemy player on the screen (enemy player happens to be using different client because of such bugs, not relevant to topic)
and no monsters. So this is the absolute minumum system messages that are showing at any one given time.
So when dealt nerve strike, you have a total of 1.25 seconds (until next swing) to read the text and activate trapped box.

how you can read all this? it's longer than 6 words.

If debuff is not necessary, why have the debuff bar at all? why not then have all spells relying on system message.

I believe the forum moderators are wrong to close threads for this reason and should not be up to forum moderators to choose which bugs get fixed"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,041
    Isn't re opening a closed thread against the RoC?

Even if you make the new one under a different pretense.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Yoshi said:
    "Forum moderators have closed threads on debuff to nervestrike because they believe players should not have a debuff and should be able to read the system text.

This statement is not accurate.The threads are closed due to violations off posting polocies.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,296
    Honestly, if anything is happening , who has time to read the text.  Maybe, if I was 20, but then if I was 20 pretty sure I would be somewhere else.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,993
    Pawain said:
    Isn't re opening a closed thread against the RoC?

Even if you make the new one under a different pretense.
    Yoshi has special rights 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2023
    "I'm not being funny but

when people couldn't buy from EA store, there are like 6 threads created and people expecting update every day. And broadsword make 2 x announcements.
    Threads did not get closed until issue was resolved.

so how come you're not allowed to request update on fel related bugs that get people killed in game if they were still using broadswords classic client? - which this forum is demonstrably doing its best to force people onto third party clients by blocking development of classic client by deleting/closing bug threads related to classic client.

so you can't buy sovereigns... it's all deco from store.

Why there is no weekly updated known issues on splash screen when you log into uo?
    it's more imporant than sovereigns for deco"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited February 2023
    "here is how this should work:
    • Customer reports bug and shows description with full repro.
    • Bug gets acknowledged
    • Bug gets fixed

Here is what is currently happening:
    • Customer reports bug and shows description with full repro.
    • no acknowledgement
    • no fix
    • customer posts for chaser for 5 years asking when you going to acknowledge/fix this?
    • forum admin interferes and closes/deletes thread and says stop bumping old threads
    • forum admin bans customer

What is this game please? where you get the customer service handbook from? Most of the customers are not criminal scum of the earth like we are treated, some of us do charity work and are not bad people, there is no reason to treat in such a way"

edited February 2023
    Most things you call bugs are not bugs.

They are features that are not in the game, but you want them in the game. Others are the way the game works but you call it a bug.

So its more.
    Customer reports a feature they want in the game because someone killed them and they are mad.
    Result:  Devs decide that does not need to be in the game

Issue complete.

But poster cant live with the result so they open multiple threads.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yoshi’s description of the bug forum is accurate. 
    edited February 2023
    "lol name one thing that is feature request.
    it literally says here in game, Buffs and Debuffs will appear here
    it's not feature request

Pawain the second you stepped into fel even with pet you would die instantly to nerve strike, i'd like to see how long you last vs my bok mage, why you even commenting on threads about fel issues when you don't play there?"
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:
    "lol name one thing that is feature request.
    it literally says here in game, Buffs and Debuffs will appear here
    it's not feature request

Pawain the second you stepped into fel even with pet you would die instantly to nerve strike, i'd like to see how long you last vs my bok mage"
    The ones they chose to appear there. The thing would be a mile long if every buff/debuff was there. Then you would not see the trees for the forest.
  • I wish he would download the damn 3rd party client and be done with it, but, he is right.
    edited February 2023
    "one extra debuff to stop people being killed 20 times a day... and the debuff would last for literally 2 seconds.
    you prob have never even played World of Warcraft you get 30+ buffs then 30+ debuffs

so reason for thread closure is now change from...
    should be able to read the system message to...
    it's taking up too much room and its feature? even though you can't play the game (in fel) without this 'feature'

Why are there buffs and debuffs then for things that you don't need to perform an action for?
    why it's displaying 15 mana increase for bushido mastery, can replace that one...i don't need to know i have 15 mana increase, it displays already in character status bar.

Nerve strike you actually need to know because you have only 1.25 seconds to perform an action (use object trapped box) before you're hit again. Or even less time if there is more than one person attacking you.

How forum mod can say we can't be rude to people like Pawain when he replies with such outrageous things?
    total wind up merchant

Come Pawain i meet you on test centre if you don't play Atl and see how long you last vs my bokuto
    I will for sure clear your buff/debuff list for you"

• @Yoshi ; why don't you throw up a poll so we can see how many people are in agreement on this.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited February 2023
    "agreement with what?

he don't step out of trammel so will never receive a nerve strike or vicious bite in his lifetime.
    How he can vote on whether or not fel players should get debuff?

same reason i can't vote in Guam national election

Same with rubber banding on wall of stone, you literally can walk through wall of stone in trammel, how he would have ANY clue what its about and dare to call it a feature?"
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,827
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:
    "agreement with what?

he don't step out of trammel so will never receive a nerve strike or vicious bite in his lifetime.
    How he can vote on whether or not fel players should get debuff?

same reason i can't vote in Guam national election"
    you know he doesn't play Felucca how? I play Felucca all the time and couldn't care less about it and know plenty of others that feel the same. quit attacking people based on your biased opinion of them, and maybe your threads will stay open. And while you're at it attacking the Devs and Admins here isn't helping your case either.

edited February 2023
    "well your name suggests you play on Siege, will assume you play that shard, its not same game. Many people who couldn't care less about it are ones who already use trapped box script that reads journal for them. What i am suggesting should negate the requirement for that script. Currently there is not even an option to manually open trapped box because you can't see when nerve striked in time.

How its going to affect anyone negatively?

Let us talk about attunement bug
    how it can possibly affect anyone if they place timer on like mastery when its in cooldown to tell you how long you have left before you can recast, instead of casting spell then receiving information it doesn't work with no information about time, how it can affect anyone negatively?  You don't need people to vote on it.

I am not attacking forum mod, they delete and close threads and attack me and accuse me of promoting third party programs when it is them who effectively promote by blocking development of broadword client and forcing people to DL third party client just to play in fel.

I use classic client i can prove with my youtube uploads"

• Yoshi said:
    "well your name suggests you play on Siege, will assume you play that shard, its not same game. Many people who couldn't care less about it are ones who already use trapped box script that reads journal for them. What i am suggesting should negate the requirement for that script. Currently there is not even an option to manually open trapped box because you can't see when nerve striked in time.

How its going to affect anyone negatively?

Let us talk about attunement bug
    how it can possibly affect anyone if they place timer on like mastery when its in cooldown to tell you how long you have left before you can cast, instead of casting spell then receiving information it doesn't work with no information about time, how it can affect anyone negatively?

You don't need people to vote on it. I am not attacking forum mod, they delete and close threads and attack me and accuse me of promoting third party programs when it is them who effectively promote by blocking development of broadword client and forcing people to DL third party client just to play in fel.

I use classic client i can prove with my youtube channel"
    See, there you go, assuming things. I play Felucca on every shard I play, (several at the writing of this post) and you throw in an innuendo that I am using scripts and unapproved third party programs. This is your problem, you are constantly attacking people and then try to play the Victim (that's my job by the way) learn to have a civil discussion and take it to the Devs. you will get nothing changed by your constant attacks and passive aggressive behavior. And to fully answer the question, a poll will give you an idea of just how many (or few) this actually affects.

edited February 2023
    "okay imagine they placed a poll on whether or not roof boss should spawn mobs when attacked with pets.
    If something is a bug its not up for debate.

Everyone on this forum would vote, no we don't want mobs to spawn when we use pets on boss...

(I am not suggesting you're using unapproved third party programs, you mentioned other people aren't bothered, i'm suggesting its possible that is the reason, have you asked them if they use trapped box script?)
    But like i said, they may not be bothered, but they certainly would not object to having the debuffs, why would they?"
    edited February 2023
    "you make out like it is a minority why are using scripts for trapped box,

so how about you take a look on youtube:
    right now search UO Atlantic PVP

whether you filter this week, this month, this year, top 10 results is different posters, all using trapped box script

i wouldn't say people are cheating, there is just no option at the moment to do it manually even"
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,993
    While i agree 1000 % bug reporting system sucks that does not mean merv/yoshi should be allowed to continue to violate the TOS 
  • Yoshi said:
    "okay imagine they placed a poll on whether or not roof boss should spawn mobs when attacked with pets.
    If something is a bug its not up for debate.

Everyone on this forum would vote, no we don't want mobs to spawn when we use pets on boss...

(I am not suggesting you're using unapproved third party programs, you mentioned other people aren't bothered, i'm suggesting its possible that is the reason, have you asked them if they use trapped box script?)
    But like i said, they may not be bothered, but they certainly would not object to having the debuffs"
    You were suggesting it and no I don't ask them what they use. I don't assume everyone else is cheating. No one is forced to download anything except the official client to play in Felucca, that is a choice they make on their own. I play with the EC only (no Pincos or anything else) and I survive and thrive just fine in Felucca. 

edited February 2023
    "okay you use EC
    so you don't suffer from Attunement bug, it's completely fixed on EC default UI
    you don't suffer from rubber banding on wall of stone, (only 1 middle tile) because your client auto runs around the other 2 out of 3 tiles.

And you don't suffer from select nearest hostile issue either as you can filter targets. And you have mobiles bar for targetting too so you don't even need to scroll through targets"
  • Yoshi said:
    "you make out like it is a minority why are using scripts for trapped box,

so how about you take a look on youtube:
    right now search UO Atlantic PVP

whether you filter this week, this month, this year, top 10 results is different posters, all using trapped box script"
    I mentioned nothing about people using scripts, that was you bringing it up. This is your problem, you feel like everyone is cheating and then have to attack anyone who disagrees with you, whether it is in a passive-aggressive way, through innuendo, or straight up attack. If you would simply stick to the facts and your main point, your threads would last longer and maybe get the attention you would like. 

edited February 2023
    "oh okay i am being rude again...
    ban me again

its all my fault for being so so rude

quick close thread fast"
  • Yoshi said:
    "oh okay i am being rude again...
    ban me again

its all my fault for being so so rude"
    See, you won't get anywhere with arguments like this and I cannot ban anyone, I'm just a player like you.

edited February 2023
    "okay please explain then, why you would vote not to have debuff for nerve strike?
    you literally said you couldn't care less about it, so why would you vote that others can't have it?
    just spite?"
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    I'm in full support of Yoshi on his crusade to fix crap that should have been fixed years ago. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,296
    edited February 2023
    It would be much simpler for everyone for UO just to admit which bugs can’t be fixed.  Maybe, but not required, give the why.  Can understand UO’s reluctance to do this but it would help them to justify ending some of these endless discussions.  Agree fully that UO seems to not be responding well to bugs or any other problems reported by players.  In my earlier days I would have returned this game, and in fact did return my Commodore 64 version!  After getting killed the first minute or so of play, reloading the game took about 10 or 15 minutes.  Just got tired of spending most of my game play time watching the green light on the disk drive flash.
    edited February 2023
    "I dunno, remember Mesanna said they didn't have the technical ability to put a comma in the trade window to seperate the numbers, and everyone laughed at them, and she basically humiliated her entire team with the statement,

And what do you know eventually we got commas in trade window
    I am sure the dev team have technical ability to fix bugs"
  • Yoshi said:
    "okay please explain then, why you would vote not to have debuff for nerve strike?
    you literally said you couldn't care less about it, so why would you vote that others can't have it?
    just spite?"
    Where did I say I would? *looks through his posts* Nope, not there. I said I could care less, and I mean it. As I said you need to quit assuming things and reading into what isn't there. 

This discussion has been closed.