Stop Closing threads

This is not NAZI Germany, we have free speech!

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited February 2023
    Not in someone's house. Go read the constitution.

You have free speech to complain about the government. If you are not being liable.
    Look at how many books are being banned in Florida and Texas.

I also see you spread false information.  :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • FAKE NEWS! one this isn't a house, its a hovel and two, is one plus one, we need more people, don't shut threads ever, leave them open for people to discuss, disagree, agree, comment, or ignore.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    They can discuss and disagree, we have no problem with that. Insult and attack is what gets threads locked. Maintain some semblance of respect and courtesy to avoid a thread lock.
  • See, i think you do, you lock threads for no reason arbitrarily if they don't conform to your own beliefs, open your mind and the people will return.
  • Maybe some education on forum Etiquette and moderation rules might be helpful here. I took 5 seconds to google 'moderating forum rules' and this was the first thing that came up. I suggest that it be read and then review your own personal posts to see what rules are being challenged and ignored. It might lead to clearer understanding and less offensive communication skills, something we all need traveling in both directions.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited February 2023
    Most threads are appropriately closed but agree not always.  Some sensitivity training for the UO staff is clearly warranted.  This is a game not real life.  Some threads, like one of the recently closed ones, clearly require more intervention on the part of UO’s staff than what was offered.  UO is more than just a game to many of the long term players.  Gamers understand that.  Don’t understand why the staff does not.  Used to work with lots of people a long time ago including some I did not like to work with.   But learned early on I had to address their needs too, to succeed.  That element seems to, to often, now be ignored.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited February 2023
    Mariah said:
    They can discuss and disagree, we have no problem with that. Insult and attack is what gets threads locked. Maintain some semblance of respect and courtesy to avoid a thread lock.

Well this has never been a bigger lie. What happened to my last thread about community consolidation which was completely deleted amidst discussion?

Not even locked. Deleted.

No context or reason given for why.
  • Mariah said:

• While I don’t ever post here just read forums occasionally, I would have to agree. Forum moderators here are heavy handed I think a lot of posts are locked when they shouldn’t be.
    Dillybar said:
    While I don’t ever post here just read forums occasionally, I would have to agree. Forum moderators here are heavy handed I think a lot of posts are locked when they shouldn’t be.

Well you see, the problem is that this is the same thing that drove stratics into the ground. So when Mesanna and the team decided to finally catch up with the times and get a forum online, they decided the best course of action was to take those same mods from stratics who drove it into the ground with extreme and biased over-moderation, and make them mods here too.

I'm sure the fact that stratics hosted the IRC server that the GMs, EMs, Devs, PECs, Advisors, etc used to keep in touch with their respective projects had a bit to do with it as well.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I tend to think the threads that are closed should be closed. When threads go off the rails, it just becomes an off topic cesspool. It’s also really easy to follow the rules here. I think a lot of the problem is people not knowing how to disagree without being insulting. 
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited February 2023
    dvvid said:
    I tend to think the threads that are closed should be closed. When threads go off the rails, it just becomes an off topic cesspool. It’s also really easy to follow the rules here. I think a lot of the problem is people not knowing how to disagree without being insulting. 
    There are a few individuals that love to derail posts with nonsense, and instead of moderating those posts/users, the thread gets closed, or, completely deleted in my cases. 

For example, look how quickly this thread gets derailed into oblivion about some dudes beard: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9530/players-with-character-names-that-exceed-16-letters/p1 Seriously, if the OP reports these posts in their own thread that are completely asinine  and off-topic/troll-y they should be deleted @Mariah ;

I had another thread, 'Current Trajectory of the Game' where some no lifer with 7.2k+ posts flap their ignorant face-holes just to see 'Post Count +1'. When you realize their life is to just 'Post Count +1' with completely incorrect information/personal attacks, they (the trolls) should be REMOVED at the request of the OP instead of DELETING the entire thread. Instead we get posts about some lady that wish she had died in game of course that lasted longer than my posts did.

At this point, I'm honestly not sure what's worse: Stratics or here. When you cater to the trolls all you're doing is just putting a bandage on a bullet wound, as they say.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yeah the off topic stuff should have just been deleted. Sometimes the mods will remove off topic stuff and ask people to stay on topic. Maybe that should happen more often. 
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    username said:
    dvvid said:
    There are a few individuals that love to derail posts with nonsense, and instead of moderating those posts/users, the thread gets closed, or, completely deleted in my cases. 

For example, look how quickly this thread gets derailed into oblivion about some dudes beard: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9530/players-with-character-names-that-exceed-16-letters/p1 Seriously, if the OP reports these posts in their own thread that are completely asinine  and off-topic/troll-y they should be deleted @ Mariah 

I had another thread, 'Current Trajectory of the Game' where some no lifer with 7.2k+ posts flap their ignorant face-holes just to see 'Post Count +1'. When you realize their life is to just 'Post Count +1' with completely incorrect information/personal attacks, they (the trolls) should be REMOVED at the request of the OP instead of DELETING the entire thread. Instead we get posts about some lady that wish she had died in game of course that lasted longer than my posts did.

At this point, I'm honestly not sure what's worse: Stratics or here. When you cater to the trolls all you're doing is just putting a bandage on a bullet wound, as they say.

I can't speak for anyone other than Vic and Myself...... but you do not get to where we are in Real Life by being no lifers in a video game that we play in spare time for entertainment or living on forums going for post counts.  Why the Beard Brothers do so well in game is the Magic in those long oh so sexy bears. LOL We PLAY UO, We don't LIVE UO :)  Made this post while cutting a fallen tree up with chainsaw in one hand and dumb phone in the other on the far West side of the farm.......... A bit of a challenge to not get this amazing beard tangled up in the spinning chain while thumb typing........... Vic BTW has a even more Amazing Beard than I Do!  AND OMG Please do not let any levity be present in very serious life altering threads in a 25+ Video game forum!!!!
  • well said @Tyrath
    amazing how some people here go crazy banana bc the video game. people lost common sense, if they even had one.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2023
    "our team too is having an issue, have had a thread completely deleted with claims on ToS breach,
    have requested a copy of the post for review however have not received"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "our team too is having an issue, have had a thread completely deleted with claims on ToS breach,
    have requested a copy of the post for review however have not received"
    Your team?  You and Mervyn?   :D
    “You’re apparently now not allowed to make posts about gumps on enhanced client and classic client anymore either”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    “You’re apparently now not allowed to make posts about gumps on enhanced client and classic client anymore either”
    Ill do just that and dare the evil mods to delete my post:

When you are aware that a returning player is naked and lost in Luna, by Allen yelling "Nekkid NOOB in Luna!  Who is on NOOB patrol?

When you respond to the call.
    Some of the first things to tell the ones that use classic client is:

1. You can make the playing screen bigger now.
    2. You can use Large Gumps on some containers.

Push options. Push the UO symbol.

Four very nice additions to UO that they may not know about.

Happy NOOB hunting!
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Does the block dismount in war mode really work?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    Yes in war mode if you are frantically clicking and you dbl clk yourself you will not dismount. You get a message that says dismount blocked.

Also you can mount your pet in war mode now instead of attacking it when you double click it. Check - Block War on Pets in that Gump.
    edited February 2023
    “(Not a good idea to have this checked in fel, when someone swings a bola at you, you want to manually dismount yourself for a second to prevent you from being under the longer dismount debuff)

apologies for mentioning fel, please don’t ban for mentioning felucca it is part of ultima online”
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yoshi said:
    “(Not a good idea to have this checked in fel, when someone swings a bola at you, you want to manually dismount yourself for a second to prevent you from being under the longer dismount debuff)

apologies for mentioning fel, please don’t ban for mentioning felucca it is part of ultima online”

Will having that checked prevent using a macro to dismount as well or just manually double clicking??
    edited February 2023
    “My thread deletion has changed reason from being breach of TOS to
    something forum mod is reasonably sure devs wouldn’t like

please can we have a list of likes/dislikes of devs

just in case someone posts about peanut butter and one of the devs don’t like peanut butter

i wouldn’t want anyone else suffering same problem as me”
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:

Will having that checked prevent using a macro to dismount as well or just manually double clicking??

"ah its okay to have this checked then, macro still works"
  • Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    Yes in war mode if you are frantically clicking and you dbl clk yourself you will not dismount. You get a message that says dismount blocked.

Also you can mount your pet in war mode now instead of attacking it when you double click it. Check - Block War on Pets in that Gump.
    This noob is thankful you posted that.

edited February 2023
    "all i was requesting was for a gump to show some additional information that would be helpful to new and existing players and it got deleted
    it wouldn't even affect experienced players because the gump is not shown to those who disable pvp warning"
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:

I'll take that challenge again and won't get this post deleted either. 

A nice place to mine is Felucca Delucia.  You are in a guard zone so you you could yell guard if attacked. You don't have to fight the elementals. You can use the cave to mine gems.

Don't forget to use the Gump on the mining tool as needed.

You do have to recall at the cave entry and run in the cave to enter the city.

Maybe you are getting posts deleted correctly because you see, it is the content not always the subject that gets posts removed or locked.
  • Pawain said:
    Yoshi said:

I'll take that challenge again and won't get this post deleted either. 

A nice place to mine is Felucca Delucia.  You are in a guard zone so you you could yell guard if attacked. You don't have to fight the elementals. You can use the cave to mine gems.

Don't forget to use the Gump on the mining tool as needed.

You do have to recall at the cave entry and run in the cave to enter the city.

Maybe you are getting posts deleted correctly because you see it is the content not the subject that gets posts removed or locked.
    Felucca Delucia is also the best place to harvest wood. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Idk if it's just me and the people I know, but I can honestly say that I've never in two decades had the issue of "frantically double clicking and accidentally dismounting myself". So I find that option laughable.

I'm not even sure what someone would be doing spam double clicking the ground that near their own character other than trying to open/close a door or open a container. Which both have better solutions already built in. 1. Make an open door macro. 2. Hold Ctrl-Shift and double click the big nameplate.
This discussion has been closed.