Backpack automatically closing on character log in

Since Pacific is down I have been logging in to my characters on other shards to collect the Valentines plushies using the EC. Something I am finding annoying is the backpacks of all of the characters are automatically closing when the character enters the world.  This is happening on Atlantic, Origin, and Catskills. This never happened on Pacific.  I have tried deleting the shard's folder and rebuilding the characters's settings from scratch to no avail.

Is anyone else encountering this?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Not in CC. Everything is open that was open when I logged off. I'll trade you the ones I have on Pacific for yours on LS.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Just wait a few seconds usually opens up after everything is loaded
    edited February 2023
    vortex said:
    Just wait a few seconds usually opens up after everything is loaded
    Yes especially if you have a bunch open it can take a few seconds and you are tempted to click them.

• A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• gaygay Posts: 358
    If you log out and your backpack is closed, it will be closed when you log back in. When you log in, every bag within your backpack that you had opened when logging out will re-open. It incurs and object delay timer, so if you open a door or perform an action during this process you will interrupt the opening of that container as it's called to open.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    edited February 2023
    TimSt said:
    Since Pacific is down I have been logging in to my characters on other shards to collect the Valentines plushies using the EC. Something I am finding annoying is the backpacks of all of the characters are automatically closing when the character enters the world.  This is happening on Atlantic, Origin, and Catskills. This never happened on Pacific.  I have tried deleting the shard's folder and rebuilding the characters's settings from scratch to no avail.

Is anyone else encountering this?
    Yes, this happens to me all the time. I haven't been able to hunt down the exact bug, but the process goes something like this:

Character A's backpack is open, you log out, log back in and it's still open.
    Everything is fine.
    Swap to Character B, the backpack is open, log out, log back in and the pack is still open.
    Everything is still fine.
    Swap back to Character A and on login Character A's backpack flashes open, then closes.
    Everything is not fine.

This has something to do with the way the EC is saving information into the individual character file when switching between characters, or with multiple characters active at once.

If you examine Character A's Character File once the backpack is flashing open then closing, you'll probably find the open containers list at the top of the file still showing the backpack as opening on login:
    <Containers otherView="Grid" corpseView="Grid">
                <Container id="1079577533" view="Grid" />

while the UI Variables section Boolean Value is reset:
                <BoolVar name="BackpackOpen" value="false" />

Since the Character file is read from top to bottom on login, the backpack is opened, then closed later in the file. (At least this is what I've found, but it's always possible to have more than one bug, eh?)

Anyway, once this thing starts propagating, it moves through most of my characters on log in. The only way I have found to fix it, is just to re-open each character's backpack, then log out and back in to make sure the pack is opening correctly, and the UI section "customization" of the open pack is saved as "true" to each character's file. (Or you could go through each character's file and make sure both the lines in each file are set correctly.)

However, there is probably a character you'll miss where the Boolean is set to "false", or where the client will not save the "true/false" correctly on logout - this seems to be the origin of the bug, and you'll just end up repeating the process again.

I have not found the .lua to bugfix this, but we obviously can, as Pinco's doesn't have this issue. (Or maybe Pinco just removed the redundant Boolean customization...)

Anyway, no it's not just you. Hopefully this can at least provide a bit of (possibly correct) explanation and (might) point you in the direction of a fix.

-Arroth
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    I have an account that every time i log in i have the  "I Wish To Secure This" pop up ?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    @Arroth_Thaiel, Thank you for confirming that you also have the issue.  Knowing it was not just me allowed me to investigate and find a possible fix.

In the function EquipmentData.Shutdown() add this line
    WindowData.PlayerEquipmentSlot[EquipmentData.EQPOS_BACKPACK] = nil

What the issue was is when you logout of a character the lua code was not cleaning up backpack data and when you login to a different character the backpack data for the previous character was still around until the current character's data gets downloaded from the server. The delay in downloading the data came at the same time as opening the backpack on login which caused the code in Interface.BackpackCheck to think the backpack was not opened and call Actions.ToggleInventoryWindow() as a result.
    Players like yall should use the EC to make those icons and timers that Yoshi is asking for.  That is what they included in it's design. Players that understand that jibberish to make more jibberish.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2023
    Pawain said:
    Players like yall should use the EC to make those icons and timers that Yoshi is asking for.  That is what they included in it's design. Players that understand that jibberish to make more jibberish.

"Pinco already fixed attunement bug for EC, it's greyed out until cooldown finished.

And he fixed nerve strike debuff too, it's only Classic client that has these bugs, it took him 5 mins to fix both, he fixed a while ago

there have been maybe 7/8 EC bug fixes by players that have not made it to default UI, i asked a while back if one of the EC people could create a whole UI that is only bug fixes and share but they were all too busy. I emailed the exact code changes that the players made to fix said bugs to uobroadsword but they still did not update their default UI. "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Well if you are not a coder, then all you can do is ask others to help.  Good Job trying!