Players with character names that exceed 16 letters

Comments

• usernameusername Posts: 690
    edited October 2022
    Seeing this a lot more lately again. Saw this gem outside of Deceit on Atlantic today. 'Hit Stuff Leech Life Win" is 8 characters longer than is allowed. Is this a bannable offense? My understanding is that it's a clear sign of either: client manipulation or 3rd party client.

yes, it's a player not a pet, they ran off before I could get a screenshot of their PD
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Another one, only 4 characters over length

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    My understanding is that is the same person.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2022
    “try talking to them and asking them,
    they prob won’t answer cos it’s not a person”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    Page on them, I would. Its easy for a gm to see if its legit or not. Whether they take action or not is another thing.

I made a toon when UO 1st started named ‘John the Minter’. I’d hang around Brit bank rping a smack talking banker (walk up to players n saying stuff like ‘Is that all in your account Sir? Your broke !’ , etc..). Everything was fun & games until Enron happened & I started saying stuff like ‘I’ll take good care of your savings citizens, I work for Enron!’. Got paged on in mins. UO had apparently made it impossible to name toons some npc character names, like minter or banker, since I had done it & I was openly being accused of being a hacker by many 2001 UO Brit Banksitters... and paged on my several.

Took a GM abt 5mins to get to the bottom of the situation after initially telling me ‘Before I ban your account for hacking in an unallowed name, I was just curious how you did it?’ The GM looked up my account age, saw that it wasn't illegal and even was allowed at the time the character was created. The GM apologized for threatening me and said the name was no longer acceptable and would have to be changed. After several suggestions he changed it to name longer then players are allowed, more of a title then a name tbh.

I still have this character on my oldest account. I cant believe I’m the only person ingame to have ever had this type name change occur. There are players ingame with legit names longer then allowed.

As for ‘King’ being unacceptable in name creation... You may have me to thank for that ;) . During the 1st Halloween event where colored player bones were obtainable, I created multiple toons named ‘King Blackthorn’, killed them repeatedly for 10mins during off hours, then farmed their bones. Every RPer and rares collector wanted a set & they sold extreeeemely well. UO blocked the name King couple weeks after. My take on it was, somewhere someone didn’t like the current King of Brit having his dead bones on display throughout the realms.

Back on Topic, I’d page on them & let the GM sort it out... if they’d even bother. It’s possible those characters were made illegally & incredibly stupid for cheaters to advertise such but many cheaters are just that stupid so...

Page & let GMs figure it out. An idiot that will cheat/hack to create names is certainly doing much worst. A legit player will be easily identified in a couple mins, as was my experience.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited October 2022
    Ya you can't use a lot of UO profession names for city titles. Can't make Archer of City and many more.

Agree, the topic should be an easy one for GMs to sort out. You would think. Maybe they think the name is harmless? If they are still around.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • @username or KAREN
    can you please let us know how and why is this "matter" a problem to you?
    You cant play because someone else name have an extra few letters? I mean honestly , fo you play all day walking around and finding "problems" to come here and than bitch about something that wont affect you game at all??  you should really change your name from username to Karen.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    ksorida said:
    @ username or KAREN
    You cant play because someone else name have an extra few letters? I mean honestly , fo you play all day walking around and finding "problems" to come here and than bitch about something that wont affect you game at all??  you should really change your name from username to Karen.
    Maybe that names unavailable 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     :D 
    ksorida said:
    @ username or KAREN
    Hurr durr hurr.
    Good troll.

More like fact.
  • Grimbeard said:
    ksorida said:
    @ username or KAREN

Names in UO are NOT unique (like in other games).

There can be like a dozens or even hundreds of a "Princess Beautiful" if they chose to name themselves this way.
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
    Vagabond said:
    Grimbeard said:
    ksorida said:
    @ username or KAREN

Names in UO are NOT unique (like in other games).

There can be like a dozens or even hundreds of a "Princess Beautiful" if they chose to name themselves this way.
    They are joking about a Forum for the OP.
    edited February 2023
    Legitimate /sarcasm.  Really should just ban these accounts/players, there is not a LEGITIMATE WAY TO DO THIS. Hope the GM takes action.

edited February 2023
    “It’s not bannable to use third party programs.

You’re more likely to get banned for complaining about others using third party programs.
    Especially on this forum, they remove many complaints about third party programs, but also could receive a game banning if you complain repetitively in game.

I would say that not allowing people to complain is tantamount to condoning. “
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:

You’re more likely to get banned for complaining about others using third party programs.
    Especially on this forum but also could receive a game banning if you complain repetitively in game.”
    It is in the ROC/ToS on many levels. Doing this is putting a target on your forehead saying YOU CHEAT. Using 3rd party programs that, at minimum, manipulate packets hit at least these four:

10. You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Broadsword Online Games does not specifically authorize you to modify.

18. You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Ultima Online service.

19. You will not exploit any bug in the Ultima Online product or the Ultima Online service. You will not intentionally use or share any bug found within Ultima Online, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the Ultima Online service. You will report any such exploit using the bug reporting methods as described by the Ultima Online web site at http://www.uo.com/contact.

22. You will not attempt to play Ultima Online on any service that is not controlled or authorized by Broadsword Online Games.

Nice try. The problem is, they usually can't prove it or care to prove people using 3rd party clients since they rely on VISUAL queues. Again, these players are running around with these names that are IMPOSSIBLE to do with a non-cheat client or client/packet manipulation.

edited February 2023
    “I didn’t say it’s not against the RoC/ToS
    i said it’s not bannable.

Go to yew moongate and count how many players you see turning without fast rotation.

people don’t hide cheats anymore, they will post videos and screenshots in public using third party programs without action taken.

Publish 115 had no fixes for enhanced or classic client which gives the impression of end of support. 

If you play without using third party programs and get affected by its bugs and request for bugs to be fixed you will get punished on this forum in the form of ban threats in inbox”
    "some people seem to think that I condone the use of third party programs.
    I absolutely do not.

I think they should address the causes and allow people to play the game AS IS, direct download from uo.com and not have to install other software to fix bugs."
    edited February 2023
    No, you're missing the point. As clearly stated, a lot of their cheat 'detection' is visual. To your example when these players post videos they could technically be on a free shard so it's not undeniable proof. I don't know what 'fast rotation' is but how can you tell for sure what players reactions are? I get it, they likely are 100% cheating, but it's not undeniable. 

ON THE OTHER HAND when their name is 30+ letters long when the maximum allowed by either client is 16, well, yea uh that is 100% cheat/hack client undeniable proof. When there is 100% undeniable proof and @Mesanna should instruct GMs to take actions according to their own ToS/RoC. 

Yoshi said:
    Yes, it is. It is against the ToS/RoC, it is bannable. That's kinda the point? Hell, get Mesanna on a bad day, she'll get you for something that's not even on the RoC/ToS lol. Enforcement perhaps is the word you're looking for that is the issue. If these long cheat names are not enforced they should start doing so as, once again, it's blatant undeniable proof they are cheating/client manipulating which is against their TOS ROC.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    username said:
    No, you're missing the point. As clearly stated, a lot of their cheat 'detection' is visual. To your example when these players post videos they could technically be on a free shard so it's not undeniable proof. I don't know what 'fast rotation' is but how can you tell for sure what players reactions are? I get it, they likely are 100% cheating, but it's not undeniable. 

ON THE OTHER HAND when their name is 30+ letters long when the maximum allowed by either client is 16, well, yea uh that is 100% cheat/hack client undeniable proof. When there is 100% undeniable proof and @ Mesanna should instruct GMs to take actions according to their own ToS/RoC. 

Yoshi said:
    Yes, it is. It is against the ToS/RoC, it is bannable. That's kinda the point? Hell, get Mesanna on a bad day, she'll get you for something that's not even on the RoC/ToS lol. Enforcement perhaps is the word you're looking for that is the issue. If these long cheat names are not enforced they should start doing so as, once again, it's blatant undeniable proof they are cheating/client manipulating which is against their TOS ROC.
    If these players were dead and had memorials they'd be dealt with quickly and harshly 
    edited February 2023
    “I just highly doubt they’re going to ban all those customers for using a client, when they don’t provide a working alternative. 

Imagine if all those players continued trying to use broadsword client like me, this forum would be completely inundated with complaints, there is only a few forum mods they would not be able to handle. They have a hard enough time with just me.

People would not of course try and play an unplayable client, would just quit and play a working game”
  • Spring needs to come early this year. Y'all are getting a serious case of cabin fever. Tyrath, I need shit for my garden. Send me some good shit.

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Spring needs to come early this year. Y'all are getting a serious case of cabin fever. Tyrath, I need shit for my garden. Send me some good shit.

Only 4 mason jars of it left but the 2023 seedlings are looking good.  I hate it when I get low on Sage and Oregano!!!

• Tyrath said:
    Spring needs to come early this year. Y'all are getting a serious case of cabin fever. Tyrath, I need shit for my garden. Send me some good shit.

Only 4 mason jars of it left but the 2023 seedlings are looking good.  I hate it when I get low on Sage and Oregano!!!

i think i may need some Oregano too.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

The Oregano at HEB looks different.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Pawain said:
    The Oregano at HEB looks different.

This is a old school heirloom strain :)
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Lol 
    Is Mike who Cheese Harry, one of their friends?

They sure make up lame names,

• Tyrath said:

i think i may need some Oregano too.

It's good to have friends in high places.
  • If this is done using some kind of unapproved third party program, I note that there are uses of those programs that have a greater impact on the game than this.

A lot depends on the name. I've seen some special titles from Mesanna that were done as name extensions, later changed to a form of engraving. But I doubt as every character with those titles was changed in this way which'd mean there are still some running around with long names, conferred by Mesanna.

There are also a lot of old bugs still running around. You haven't been able to tame ancient wyrms for many years but I saw one or two running around years after that bug was fixed. There are still some clothing pieces of a color that was created by old bugs.