If you planted seeds for thorns on the first day, They are ready to harvest 2 - 11

PSA

Out of 18 I cross polinated, none made black or white seeds.  :/
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited February 2023
    I think you have to cross pollinate with another type?  if you are crossing with other seeds of the same type (bright green) it wont work believe..........

I have 72 plants on the go and only getting green seeds........
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I think you have to cross pollinate with another type?  if you are crossing with other seeds of the same type (bright green) it wont work believe..........

I have 72 plants on the go and only getting green seeds........
    Ya darn.  Next round I'll just let them self pollinate.  Been a long time since I actually pollinated any plants.  Always hate when you do get a color and pull the seed and it turns into a seed of Renewal.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I've gotten black and white from crossing plants of the same type.
    Marge said:
    I've gotten black and white from crossing plants of the same type.
    Ya I have a lot of white poppies around my garden bed from making Orange Petals.  Ill look it up.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    not true you can get black/white crossing same color/type. I planted 585 and got 3 black plants out of them some times I get 8 to 10 out of 585 plants. I average 4 to 5 mutant plants out of 585 which yields about 32 to 40 black/ white seeds 
    Says in the Wiki:

Black and White rare seeds are also sometimes produced as mutants from regular plant crossing.

The button is called the Cross-Pollination button.

I proved I'm not good at words yesterday, so yall figure it out.  :) 

• so I have crap luck as always then

no black/white seeds from 648 seed harvests
    Yay Skett to the Rescue!

Next Ill try math with his numbers.   That is a .5% to 1.7% chance to get a black or white plant.

So keep Pollinating little Bees!  :D
    so I have crap luck as always then

YUP! 

But, next round you should get 2 or 3!!!!
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    edited February 2023
    If you're not fussy about which seeds you get you might have better luck doing the Naturalist quest.

edited February 2023
    this ^^^
    and you can do it in like 5 mins or less over and over and over .......
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Best way I have found to get a decent % of black and white plants is to pollinate the plant with itself not pollinating other plants.  Average a bout 1 out of 65 being a totally inbred mutant.
    nice to know i thought it was the opposite
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2023
    Tyrath said:
     Best way I have found to get a decent % of black and white plants is to pollinate the plant with itself not pollinating other plants.  Average a bout 1 out of 65 being a totally inbred mutant.
    Inbred Mutants? sounds like you've met my inlaws . . .

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Tyrath said:

We have the same inlaws??? 
    edited February 2023
    Tyrath said:
    Only you would would word it that way while doing the deed with your plants.

Yes that is correct, if you push the button you have the chance.  My memories returneth.
  • Tyrath said:
    Tyrath said:

Uncle Grandpa, is that you??
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Tyrath said:
    So, to understand better. You don't cross pollinate with another plant and you don't allow it to self pollinate, you actively pollinate it with itself?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    At this point it may be worth drawing attention to the page: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/creating-macros/example-macros/
    which has an EC macro for harvesting seeds and resources from plants.

Tyrath said:
    So, to understand better. You don't cross pollinate with another plant and you don't allow it to self pollinate, you actively pollinate it with itself?

Yes.  I can't remember which Dev said it or where but it was during the time Wilki was present. But the statement was that "Pollinating a plant with itself give the highest chance of mutant seeds."  So I started doing that and got a much higher percentage of white and black mutants than I did prior with cross pollinating.  The 1 out of 65 does vary as does everything with the RNG but that is a rough working average.  Some cycles it might be 300-1 others it might be 25-1.  The odds seemed to be high using the old plant pot and potions and watering every day method than it is in the raised beds, using fertile earth in the plant pots also seemed to increase the odds.  Then there was that time that the plants from the Naturalist quest made seeds for 2 cycles before they fixed it..... that was the best odds :)
    Tyrath said:
    Tyrath said:

Sure is Cousin Brother VIC!
    Tyrath said:
    Tyrath said:
    Tyrath said:

Sure is Cousin Brother VIC!
    Your 1/65 is 1.53%  That fits in the high range of Sketts numbers. 

Now we need to find the parent plant that gives high odds and stick him in a box and use him for all harvests!  Eventually all your plants will be mutants.
  • If you're not fussy about which seeds you get you might have better luck doing the Naturalist quest.

I would multi-client and stick a bunch of chars on auto-follow for this. Still have to manually switch to each one to click the holes though, and get them auto-following again. End up with a bunch of seeds that way, including black and white.
  • If you're not fussy about which seeds you get you might have better luck doing the Naturalist quest.

I would multi-client and stick a bunch of chars on auto-follow for this. Still have to manually switch to each one to click the holes though, and get them auto-following again. End up with a bunch of seeds that way, including black and white.

If I attempted to do that all my followers would either be dead, dead, dead or lost in some corner.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I planted 36 plain snake plants, not bright green. So that was a waste lol. Anyone know how I can get bright green snake plants through cross pollination?  Is it ferns and pampas grass that makes snake plant?
    I use barrel cactus
  • If I remember correctly cross pollinating like colors will give bright versions of the color.
    edited February 2023
    dvvid said:
    I planted 36 plain snake plants, not bright green. So that was a waste lol. Anyone know how I can get bright green snake plants through cross pollination?  Is it ferns and pampas grass that makes snake plant?
    https://www.uoguide.com/Plants_&_Seeds

Need to begin with green. Or other colors.

There is a big square chart somewhere out in digital land that lets you like them up easier.

Since there was just a harvest ask for seeds instead.

Rumor mill says they are going to start the spawn early so players can get seeds. Possible as soon as this weekend.

I just made Bright Green Snakey plant seeds since I let all of my seeds go in the IDOCs.  Farm up a blue and a yellow snake plant and cross pollinate them for a green snakey plant then cross pollinate the green snakey plants together for bright green Snakey plants.   Can do the same with prickly pears or cactus.  And cross pollinate the pricklies and cacti with green water plants prickly with water plant = Cactus  Cactus with water plant = Snakey Plant. It just takes a long time to do it from scratch.  So easiest to just beg for or buy the bright seeds.  Or farm until you get a yellow and blue snake plant and reduce the growing time to 2 growth cycles to get the bright green seeds.  Now I need to make bright red elephant ears so I can seal the books and  I can leave my books laying around the world and them not be altered. 

There are a couple of different cross pollinating recipes to get the desired resource bearing plants you want.  LOTS of combos that just make deco plants.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Getting a bright green barrel cactus seed through cross pollination can be tricky. When you cross pollinate a normal green barrel cactus plant with another normal green barrel cactus plant you will end up with a bright green, white, or black seed that is for a random 1 out of 19 plants. 17 of those plant types are listed here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/plant-growing/cross-pollination/ along with cactus cactus and decorative vanilla. 

You also have a chance at getting bright green barrel cactus seeds if you cross pollinate green tri-barrel cactus with green tri-barrel, barrel, or prickly pear cactus or cross pollinate green prickly pear cactus with green prickly pear or barrel cactus.