Account recovery/character deletion

Would OSI/EA/Broadsword etc ever delete an accounts characters simply for being inactive? 

Comments

• OreoglOreogl Posts: 285
    edited February 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Would OSI/EA/Broadsword etc ever delete an accounts characters simply for being inactive? 
    No, I have not experienced this as much as ive went inactive.  Even with a banned account.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    my characters from 97 - 2000 were gone when i came back in 2004-5ish.  called about it but nothing they could do.  altho they did give me account age (for vet rewards) or maybe accounts just aged back then even if you werent subbed.  whatever the case i didnt get my characters back.  so i do think sometimes characters, especially really old ones can just be gone. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Smoot said:
    my characters from 97 - 2000 were gone when i came back in 2004-5ish.  called about it but nothing they could do.  altho they did give me account age (for vet rewards) or maybe accounts just aged back then even if you werent subbed.  whatever the case i didnt get my characters back.  so i do think sometimes characters, especially really old ones can just be gone. 
    There's no chance you deleted?  Or someone else had access to account?  I have heard others say same and just seems odd 
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Grimbeard said:
    Smoot said:
    There's no chance you deleted?  Or someone else had access to account?  I have heard others say same and just seems odd 

Have had accts stay dormant for a decade+ without logging in and the character on the acct has always been there still sporting Young status. Only time I had character disappear was when my X Wife found my PW list and dropped every house, put every bank on the ground and deleted all of the characters on like 6 good accts. 
    Tyrath said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Smoot said:

Have had accts stay dormant for a decade+ without logging in and the character on the acct has always been there still sporting Young status. Only time I had character disappear was when my X Wife found my PW list and dropped every house, put every bank on the ground and deleted all of the characters on like 6 good accts. 
    Yes i think this more likely than characters being deleted by the game 
  • I have an account that had 2 old characters who's names appear on the name list and when you choose them to play they never appeared. It's been a long time since I've tried, can't remember the account or the shard but you can hear the sounds and see everything except the character but you can't move. I may have deleted one but as I said it's been a while and I may not be remembering correctly.
    Not sure this is the same as to what you're referring to .
    I have an account that had 2 old characters who's names appear on the name list and when you choose them to play they never appeared. It's been a long time since I've tried, can't remember the account or the shard but you can hear the sounds and see everything except the character but you can't move. I may have deleted one but as I said it's been a while and I may not be remembering correctly.
    I've copied account 1 character info into account 2 data file before this causes the character from account one show up in login for account 2 but you can't log in with them
  • Have you tried deleting the game and doing a fresh install?

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    edited February 2023
    I have an account that had 2 old characters who's names appear on the name list and when you choose them to play they never appeared. It's been a long time since I've tried, can't remember the account or the shard but you can hear the sounds and see everything except the character but you can't move. I may have deleted one but as I said it's been a while and I may not be remembering correctly.

That used to happen if your character went into an over decorated house that was too much for you PC. I had to get a GM to rescue my black holed character a couple of times for that one

To the best of my, admittedly limited, knowledge the only accounts that have ever been deleted are unused, unsubscribed trial accounts
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I had a very old character on an account that was at Brit bank and could not move, it said squelched when I tried to talk.  I deleted him a few years ago.

Too many players return after 10+ years and mention they are surprised to see all their characters still there.  Why would they delete some random ones for some random players?  More of a memory issue than Mythic deleting them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Ya I have old characters from 99 on Gl and La on an account that took me almost 5 years to get recovered and they where all there with there items mostly newbie junk 
    Pawain said:
    I had a very old character on an account that was at Brit bank and could not move, it said squelched when I tried to talk.  I deleted him a few years ago.

Too many players return after 10+ years and mention they are surprised to see all their characters still there.  Why would they delete some random ones for some random players?  More of a memory issue than Mythic deleting them.
    I agree some in the Facebook group thinks characters are deleted i was hoping for a definitive answer 
    edited February 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

I agree some in the Facebook group thinks characters are deleted i was hoping for a definitive answer 
    Elon only lets people post factual information there so it must be true.  >:)

Email Mesanna for definitive answers.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Ummm, Elon doesn't own Facebook. He owns Twitter.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "from what i remember, they are subject to being purged after a certain amount of time, but if you're lucky, they won't have been purged"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Getting a reply via email is far less definitive than the developers taking 2 minutes to comment but then snowflakes ain't gonna make themselves go team NL2025
    Marge said:
    Ummm, Elon doesn't own Facebook. He owns Twitter.
    Oops,  UO Forums is the only social media that I use.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I recovered 4 accounts after 7/8 years (2002-2010) and all characters for all accounts were still there.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    The only characters that I have had deleted by the system were on an EJ account I did not use for over a year. I learned my lesson and log in to all of my EJ accounts on a regular basis.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    Grimbeard said:
    Tyrath said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Smoot said:

absolutely not.  im not one to share passwords.  characters were created in beta that might have something to do with it.  its UO, nothing is 100 percent safe.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    Smoot said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Tyrath said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Smoot said:

absolutely not.  im not one to share passwords.  characters were created in beta that might have something to do with it.  its UO, nothing is 100 percent safe.

That probably has everything to do with it.
  • just recovered my account from 20 years ago, it has been wiped clean.  All the characters are gone, I had a GM mage, swordsman, and thief before
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I can also testify that characters do get deleted.

Back when Origin was first born I ran auctions on a weekly basis.  That account had 2 characters on it, one was my auctioneer Mia. I know I had tons of stuff on that account, auction items and such.

Now that account is totally empty. When EJ was first introduced I was thrilled because I wanted to re-open that account to find out what goodies I still had on it.

No Joy :(

edited February 2023
    This type of subject is what infuriates me about the developers lack of communication...a simple yes or no is all that's needed 
  • Grimbeard said:
    This type of subject is what infuriates me about the developers lack of communication...a simple yes or no is all that's needed 

Maybe.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo