Help tutor a returning player from 2002?

Hey, just came back after many years, and though my account is still there my fighter isn't the tank he used to be. I have been hunting shame to build up my money and try to get new gear. But I'm not sure how to build my strength up to 125 (currently at 106) and I am lost as to what is good gear anymore! 
it used to be the mastercrafted gear was top notch. this seems to have become antiquated however.
So, if someone could toss me a lifeline and give me some tips I would be very greatful!

Thanks in advance!

Calis
Baja server

Comments

• CalisCalis Posts: 5
    Correction. Strength is 113, Dex-109 Anatomy 100%, Focus 95.8%, healing 89% Parrying 103.2% swordsmanship 107.
    3% Tactics 100%
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    What's your Intel? Are you at the cap? 235 or what yours is?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

intel is 26/150 max stats 240/260

Make sure str does not have the arrow down.

Also you need to have the weapon skill with the arrow up even if it is at max. You have to be able to gain a skill associated with strength for it to gain. Even if that skill is maximum.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Spend some time reading in the Wiki about blacksmith, Tailoring and Carpentry then delve into reforging and imbuing. Then after you get your UO engineering degree you will be ready to face the reforging RNG.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Listen to @Tyrath
    His theoretical thesis he wrote “on how to optimize your armor” for his doctrine in UO over complicated systems almost won him a Pulitzer Award ! 

:D 

Calis said:
    Correction. Strength is 113, Dex-109 Anatomy 100%, Focus 95.8%, healing 89% Parrying 103.2% swordsmanship 107.
    3% Tactics 100%
    Those are enough basic melee skills to kill many things. 

Now you can read about Chivalry and Bushido.

Then adjust your other skills and jewels to add one or both of those to your template.

What shard are you on?
    baja, i also have a decent blacksmith and nearly master tinker. my mage is half decent as well. Had some coin still so i set my house up. i farm shame for about 20k a night to rebuild. just been too busy to read wikies... thought i could get simplified answers here. Seems like i have more questions from reading than i have answers lol.

edited February 2023
    Yes it can be complicated. But that keeps many of us playing. 

Basically. Chivalry will help you do more damage. It works great when fighting in dungeons. Consecrate Weapon makes it so you do not have to match weapon type damage to your target. Enemy of One is similar to a slayer weapon for the current type mob.

Bushido will help do even more damage. It helps you fight a high hit point target.

There are more skills and tactics you can move to but Chivalry then Bushido will get you started.

Shame is a fun place. Your setup works there.

I spent many months there on the first two floors when they changed the dungeon.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Good gear for weapon for classic dungeons, keep it simple.

- Slayers
    - Hit Lower Defense increases your chances to hit.

To train strength, lock dex and intel, keep strength up only. 

In the past you can gain by simply arms lore. Trick is get a soulstone and train a skill that gets strength up. When skill reaches 30 or 40, pass it to soul stone and delete it. Then start training from zero again. Not sure if this still works but that was what I did long time ago.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    Hello, Calis , Welcome back
    You wanted tutoring, so here it is. 
    Since you want gold on Baja, here is fast way. I just logged in there , Luna weaver  (not tailor) buys one bolt of cloth 288 gold per.  Jhelom weaver  (not tailor) sells them 112 Gold per.   It is closest one to the bank. You buy all bolts you have enough gold for (500 at a time , they will fall on the floor next to you) , drag all of them to near bank (first stack them together, dragging 500 bolt a little than putting it on top of another 500 bolts, than drag all stack , moving it 1-2 iles per move, put in your bank box (I assume you have subscribed account).  then you go to Luna, open your bank box and sell your cloth 100 bolts at a time, putting it from bank to inventory. If you don't have subscription - use pack horses (sold in any stables) .   To make it faster - use agents in EC : for selling and restocking.  This is a lesson on how agents are useful  and how vendors are working. 
    Repeating this will double your gold amount each iteration and  will make you couple of millions in less than 1 hour .  Buy price will decrease with every 2 sells and sell prise increase with every 2 purchases. So it is not infinite activity.  But this is  a lesson that in UO there are lots of activities more profitable than kiling mobs for gold.    

To be continued (if needed).......
  • That's some good advice there, Gwen.

I have one other suggestion from my own experience coming back to the game a little over a year ago. There are these trade quests which weren't around last time you played.  You find an NPC in one city and accept a quest which requires you to buy some goods in that city, put them in a crate in your backpack, and take them to a different city for a reward.  The reward can be materials for crafting or else a pink transcendence skill scroll.  If you walk, you get more materials than if you use public moongates.  You can't recall with the special crate in your backpack.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/quests/trader-quests/

I spent some time re-acquainting myself with the cities early on doing this quest over and over again, using the public moongates.  I didn't want materials as a reward, I wanted the scrolls.  You get yourself a small house or a vendor spot and those scrolls will sell.  The market for buying skill points in this game will never go away.  Bushido points are great, Spellweaving, Swords or Tactics.  I remember being able to sell a pink scroll for 0.1 bushido points on atlantic for like 3,000,000 gp.  I used the money from the pink scroll sales to build a mystic t-hunter (which can solo all levels of tmap) and gathered enough loot for my warriors or for my vendors to then build a nearly perfect PVE sampire.  At that point I kind of just like solo-ing.  There's a bit of a speed-runner mentality in me so I enjoy perfecting solo-champ spawns, solo-abyss spawns, solo-doom spawns etc.

Plus you get to explore what's new in the cities and shops since you last joined.  It's a little less tedious than flipping cloth... but only a little less tedious haha.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    @Valeria ;   flipping cloth is fast and reliable way to get some gold to set a house and place vendors,  or get some gold for insurance. Especially on a dead shard like Baja where no good purchase vendors for resources in New Magnicia (just checked).     But it is not the most profitable way.   Buying bolts of cloth from Ter Mur tailor  , cutting into bandages and selling to Luna Veterinar will make you x10 return on investment. 2GP per bandare purchase, 21- sales price.    2-3 runs and you will make 20-30k from your initial 1k gold you had when fresh-started on a shard. Then vet will drop his price.    It is just an example. 
  • ValeriaValeria Posts: 97
    edited February 2023
    Definitely agree... Wish I realized back then haha. 

Another fun thing to do imo is pirating, also new since you last played. Will need to get a ship with cannons but you can patrol for merchant ships which don't fight back. Turn in cargo for some neat stuff but more importantly they carry tons of valorite and other high end crafting materials.  Pirating pretty much replaced mining and lumberjcking I think as it's much faster and less boring. There was a guy on legends selling 1000 valorite and frostwood at a time to get gold and I'm sure it was from pirating because of how fast it moved and restocked
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    @Calis Thanks for posting this and to all the responders.  I returned four or five days ago and reading the posts here have been helpful getting back on my UO feet.
    wow!! thanks!!! i'll start flipping for gold and i have begun reading up on the new class builds. When i left i was working on building a tamer as they were the strongest in the day. Of course my tank could stand toe to toe with a dragon back then, i got one shotted just now... so this is no longer the case lol.

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited February 2023
    Calis,

Welcome back. You may want to look through this page, if you have not already:
    A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online (uo.com)

As far as your fighter goes, this might be a good place to start:
    What should I do with this old Swordswoman? - Ultima Online Forums (uo.com)

Merlin's post in the Swords thread links to a trove of additional information regarding melee templates.

Good Luck!
    -Arroth
    edited February 2023
    Oh you need gold also.... lol

Selling resources to npc is a boring activity we did 20 over years ago when just starting out from 0.

Today you can make millions instantly selling your annual rewards, event minor arties, or just join parties and pick up the gold drop when boss dies... 

Even killing a dragon with a slayer gives u 2000 gp each and you get free hides and lots of jewels or weapons to convert to resources to resell.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited February 2023
    Try participating to your Shard's EM Events as often as you can.... as long as you have looting rights (and you can also get them healing others at the Event), you have a chance at getting an Event EM item drop.... usually, they sell easily in range of 300-400 millions gps.... depending on what the item is, sometimes, even more.... never know if the RNG can bless you with a drop.....
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Prices vary some per shard but Popps is right selling drops on a vendor from these events is a great way to raise gold and because most players don’t loot kills they are a good source of gold too and sometimes have something good you can loot.

On my shard individual drops sell for one to three million gold and if priced right they usually sell in less than a week.  Rewards you get for drops sell for lots more depending on what they are.  I have sold these for anywhere from 30 million to 175 million gold, and seen some that were on auction safes selling for twice that.

Even if you get killed a lot at these events, you will still get a great return if you get just a few drops a night.  Good luck in the game.
    edited February 2023
    Arnold7 said:
    Prices vary some per shard but Popps is right selling drops on a vendor from these events is a great way to raise gold and because most players don’t loot kills they are a good source of gold too and sometimes have something good you can loot.

On my shard individual drops sell for one to three million gold and if priced right they usually sell in less than a week.  Rewards you get for drops sell for lots more depending on what they are.  I have sold these for anywhere from 30 million to 175 million gold, and seen some that were on auction safes selling for twice that.

Even if you get killed a lot at these events, you will still get a great return if you get just a few drops a night.  Good luck in the game.
    EM rewards... it's a lottery to win 1. Getting a few drops a night is wishful. And it's not something we can do everyday.

Maybe a dead shard with 10 players to split 10 reward quota.
    Maybe I misread.  I was referring to periodic events like the archlich event where you get drops you can turn in for rewards.  Generally if you hang around at these events doing the best you can you can get at least a few drops a night you can sell.  Agree with events like the roof it’s more a matter of luck and that those drops can be few and far between
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Seth said:
    Arnold7 said:

EM rewards... it's a lottery to win 1. Getting a few drops a night is wishful. And it's not something we can do everyday.

Maybe a dead shard with 10 players to split 10 reward quota.
    EM Events drops is sure a Lottery but, hey.... someone got to get those drops....

If one does not try, they have no chance anyways, so why not try ?

And should the drop come, it is 400M+ right there.....
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Calis said:
    wow!! thanks!!! i'll start flipping for gold and i have begun reading up on the new class builds. When i left i was working on building a tamer as they were the strongest in the day. Of course my tank could stand toe to toe with a dragon back then, i got one shotted just now... so this is no longer the case lol.

Samp is your best bet to tweak your current character. There are different builds of this as well.

Pay close attention to knuckleheads swing speed calculator and adjust your stats to your wep of choice. Max swing = more hits = more life being leeched. 

Continue working your tamer. The new(er) advanced pet training is fantastic in most situations and will be one of your more cheaper templates to make and play. 

Loot everything. Imbuing, i think, can be gained by unraveling items and will also give you the main ingredients. (Residue, essence, relics) Unravel on one of your crafter characters. 

I might suggest skipping shame and go for the SA dungeons as they drop imbuing ingredients which will be more useful in the long run as you become more and more self sufficient. 
    You can get to 120 just unraveling stuff.  I did.  Real pain is getting to 45 or 50. At lower levels next to nothing you get unravels.  But you can gain by imbuing.  Personally I just started a new character an set imbuing as high as UO would allow.  I had tried to do it with an established character but at the lower starting level he could not unravel even most minor magic items.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    If you're looking to relocate or start over on ATl I can help.