UNBOUND Energy Vortex : What am I doing wrong ?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merus said:
    There are a variety of ways to make it go faster.

Best bet for a single character to my understanding:

Swords sampire using honor, the 100% poison weapon with air elemental slayer, onslaught every 4-5 swings, double strike, and with a 120 discord vollem as a secondary attacker.  That should lower its resistance enough to be getting 100+ damage per strike.

With the amount of hit points they have it’s still gonna take a couple minutes.

There may also be an option for a tamer/warrior/bard template that I haven’t tried.
    120 taming, lore, music, discord
    add in wrestling, anatomy and healing… plus a refined energy suit.  Basically your character tanks and heals to stay alive, discords the UEV and uses 5 wolf spiders to attack.  In theory the wolf spiders might be able to out damage the double strike on a discorded UEV.

If you really want to speed it up, use 2 accounts.
    @ Merus

Your 1st set up suggestion is pretty much what I am currently using although, without the 120 discord vollem....

Did you try that set up and got the UEV down in about 2 minutes on average ?

The reason that I am asking, is that, without the 120 discord vollem, it takes me a fat 5 minutes... I would be much surprised to learn that the presence of a 120 discord Vollem would cut the kill time of a good 3 minutes...

Also, that would mean a 2nd character as a Tamer to master the 120 discord Vollem, right ?

So, it would still be multi-clienting....

Also, in this thread, @ Riner here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87442/#Comment_87442 mentioned not to bother with a Discord pet or a Bard with Discord because, to his experience, UEVs cannot be discorded....

Why would a 120 Vollem be instead able to discord them, if I may ask ?
    A sampire can control a vollem who has been through 1 round of training to add the discord and the 120 scroll.  I confirmed it on test a while back.  I believe you have to do the training with a tamer, but it can be done.

I believe a 120 disco pet can discord a 160 bard difficulty, but it can take a while sometimes.
    More importantly why is there 160 bard difficulty 
    I was driving the easy bus when they designed those mobs.
    So you agree Bards are long neglected and need love
    Bards are already as powerful as they need and you can get 3 or 4 more skills on them to make a full power whatever plus bard.

Will probably be good for easy kills in NL.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I had to go test it again myself only to discover I was wrong about discording the UEV, Yes, when I last attempted it on my bard with 120 Discord\Music I received the message your skill is not up to the task. I foolishly just accepted this and went about killing it. Turns out I was just using a plain flute without slayer. I went back after reading the thread and used an elemental slayer flute and was able to discord it after a few tries. I'm sure that a specific slayer would be quicker. As for a pet you would have to try it yourself as I don't have a disco pet.

edited January 2023
    Things with 160 Barding are not easy without a slayer.  The Eodon tough guys are near impossible to discord.  Crazed mage can take quite a few ties to Discord.

Since Popps thinks these mobs are in the easy category, I would love to see a Dynamic Dungeon in Shame.  The mobs on that floor will make some viciuos paragons!
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    Pawain said:
    Things with 160 Barding are not easy without a slayer.  The Eodon tough guys are near impossible to discord.  Crazed mage can take quite a few ties to Discord.

Since Popps thinks these mobs are in the easy category, I would love to see a Dynamic Dungeon in Shame.  The mobs on that floor will make some viciuos paragons!
    Since it's ok let's apply the same difficulty to warriors and casters 
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Since it's ok let's apply the same difficulty to warriors and casters 
    My Archer bard kills the Crazed mages for me. I would not use a warrior because it takes too long. So already too difficult for warrior.  Do you think about what you write?
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited January 2023

Merus said:

Swords sampire using honor, the 100% poison weapon with air elemental slayer, onslaught every 4-5 swings, double strike, and with a 120 discord vollem as a secondary attacker.  That should lower its resistance enough to be getting 100+ damage per strike.

This ^. My Sampires use this along with Corpse Skin to where i'm dishing out 300+ total damage a Double Strike. When farming UEVs, my Sampire soulstones around skills until he has 120 Swords/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM LJ/GM Necro/GM SS/GM Bush. He tears apart UEVs within 1-1.5 minutes.

Pawain said:
    Did you not read what I said?

If you discord the vortex the resist will only drop to 60.  An AI weapon will do the same damage as it does now!!!!

Discording the vortex will not let you do any more damage than you can now.

If you spend ten minutes or a month making a bard you will not get a benefit from it.

Make another melee or archer!
    UEVs have 55-65 Poison Resist. 120 Discord lowers them to 41-51 Poison Resist. Onslaught stacks with that to further lower Poison Resist and make DS superior to AI against them. This all stacks with Corpse Skin too. Discord also drops the victim's Wrestling skill and applies a DCI debuff, making it easier to land hits on them, therefore increasing damage output.
    edited January 2023

Merus said:

This ^. My Sampires use this along with Corpse Skin to where i'm dishing out 300+ total damage a Double Strike. When farming UEVs, my Sampire soulstones around skills until he has 120 Swords/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM LJ/GM Necro/GM SS/GM Bush. He tears apart UEVs within 1-1.5 minutes.

Pawain said:

If you discord the vortex the resist will only drop to 60.  An AI weapon will do the same damage as it does now!!!!

If you spend ten minutes or a month making a bard you will not get a benefit from it.

UEVs have 55-65 Poison Resist. 120 Discord lowers them to 41-51 Poison Resist. Onslaught stacks with that to further lower Poison Resist and make DS superior to AI against them. This all stacks with Corpse Skin too. Discord also drops the victim's Wrestling skill, making it easier to land hits on them, therefore increasing damage output.
    Great info... But he said he uses bandages so I doubt he has Necro or Spirit speak.

Like I said he is killing them as fast as HE can.  The one I Lored first had over 70 in all resists. But I lored some more and they can be in the 50s.               

And the ones that have 50, he is doing the most damage HE can do with his axe.

And I still would bet that using another melee or archer toon would kill them faster than His melee and a Bard that just discords. It would be also faster for HIM to make that toon than a Bard. Every 5 mins matters...
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    @ popps

Bard skills will need to be in real skill, I believe, not equipped skill.

As Yoshi mentioned, you might try a disco pet, vollum or otherwise, with your warrior before making a bard. I'm not sure what setup Riner was using, but it's possible there is some trick to getting the pet to Disco the UEV. Pet people may (or may not) be willing to share that trick.

You might be able to farm the UEV's with your fighter/vollum and a tamer with a Rune Corruption pet (2 accounts). That would give you Rune Corruption (or whatever it's called), Discordance, and Onslaught, all lowering the UEV's resistance and allowing Double Strike to hit for a lot more damage.

The Double Axe is a nice weapon since it has Double Strike and Whirlwind, but you're not champ spawning, you don't need whirlwind to farm UEV's. If you can get the UEV resistance down to where Double Strike outperforms Armor Ignore, consider a Two-Handed Axe (100% Poison, Air Ele Slayer). The Two-Handed Axe still has Double Strike, but will do one more point of damage, both low and high end, then the Double Axe. One additional point of damage doesn't seem like much, but it adds up over 1000's of hits.

If you are not having problems staying alive, you could also up your Anatomy/Tactics to 120 and/or your Strength to 150, and/or add Lumberjacking to your template. That, of course, will be dependent on your template and how well you are doing against the UEV's. 

You have many options to increase your damage output, depending on what you want to do, and how you enjoy playing the game.

-Good luck!

P.S. I believe that if you play in Felucca, every UEV drops 5 Shame Crystals? Or is it just the bosses that are guaranteed to drop whetstone ingredients in Felucca?

P.P.S. You might be able to find someone on your shard who also wants Shame Crystals. They might be willing to back you and split crystals...just saying. Sometimes we all tend to focus on maximizing solo play and forget UO is still an MMO. 
    Thank you for the good advice and for the heads up.

I did try Felucca but did not notice much of a difference with Trammel as far as loot goes, but with the disadvantage that, while in Trammel one can recall to the spot, in Felucca it is necessary to do a long winding walk....

Before going the Bard way on a 2nd character, which will be more time consuming, I will try out the Rune Corruption with a pet, hopefully that'll be enough to cut down the kill time to 2 minutes which will be quite a gain from my current 5.

Just need to find what pet would work best for this, and what training I would need to give to it...

I want it to spam Rune Corruption and that's it, without running out of Mana, so that my dexer double strikes will do the most damage to cut down significantly the kill time.
    edited January 2023
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    So you are going to get 120 on Music and Discord on a toon when will take a lot of your precious time, rather than just spending the 5 min to kill each one.

Reducing the resists to to 10 more damage is not going to save you enough time to quantify that much effort to drag along a bard since it is not made. 
    Well, but once I have done the 4 x 120 Bard then I have it for good.... so, in a way, one could see it as an investment in time.... spend more time now, to save it later....

Not to mention, that I could also entertain the idea of a 5 bucks Mythic token which could save me some good time... and, if I can gather jewels with Bardic skill points on, that would also save me some good time... in the end, with 25 bucks and buying a bracelet and ring with bardic skills, it might not be "that" much time consuming to make a 4 x 120 Bard...

And if I really feel spending a little 20 bucks extra to save up even more time, the De Luxe starter Pack has the Token of Skill Alacrity that gives me a week to enjoy faster skill gains...

How much is one's own time worth ?

How long would I need to spend to train 4 x 120 Bardic skills ? Would 25 or 45 bucks be worth the time saved ?

Well, for sure, another dexer would cut down significantly the kill times but suits for these are not exactly cheap... perhaps an archer but I do not want to get crazy at having to control 2 clients at once... if I am going to use another client, (which I hate, but if the Design of the game forces me, what else can I do when I do not want to waste my time for a kill ?), I want it to be a character that would need the bare minimum of control.... I do not want to go back and forth 2 clients. I just hate twitch gameplays... I play games to relax, not to get stressed out.....

I get plenty stress from my real life, frankly, I do not need games to also stress me any further.....

So, something like a Bard or a Tamer.... a 2nd fighter, be it dexer or ranged, would need too much control for my liking.... I leave that to those players who use unauthorized Third arty utilities which can have synchronized macros which control multiple characters with the stroke of 1 key (multi-botting I think it is called...), this is not for me.
    edited January 2023
    Merus said:
    Pawain said:
    Ok Popps they say to spend 2 years making a Bard so you can discord it and do 10% more damage per hit.  I guess they missed the part where you said discording will save 3 min of time per EV. (Which 10 to 30 seconds is more realistic)

Come back and tell us the new time at that point.
    I’m not suggesting it’s worth the fight, only that it’s the setup that allows the highest single player damage output that I’m aware of.  Since they nerfed the loot on them I think they are a complete waste of time.
    if one is looking at armor and jewels, that is for sure a total waste of time....

I have by now killed quite a number, both in Felucca and Trammel, and not once I have found an artifact item... all "magic" stuff....

Considering the time it takes to kill an Unbound Energy Vortex, if one does it for items, they better go kill something else.... these things give zero, nada, nothing as far as Legendary artifacts items are concerned.....

And possibly, they are not even worth the time for Shame Crystals, considering how long it takes to get them killed.... in the same time span, how many other creatures in Shame one can kill and how many Shame Crystals they can gather ?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    popps said:

Meh, now I got to train 4 Bardic skills on an EJ character.... dang.... and this, when I did not want to multi-client.... but I guess I value my time more then playing UO on a single client.....

If this can save me 3 minutes per UEV kill, that is half hour in 10 kills or an entire hour in 20 kills.... quite a significant time of my life gained.....

Oh well....
    Talking yourself into becoming a scripter, watch yourself. :)
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    So @popps , of all avaliable choices in game ,  discord(pet or bard), grasping claw, aura of nausea , armor pierce ,  RS (from beetle),  you choose to have  bandage healing as a viable skill? Tell me you also have resist spells down there?  and you choose weapon with no AI while mobs resists are nt decreased. 
    If you  having air elemental slayer, honor cannot increase your damage at all. 

I advise you to go kill easier mobs. There are lots of lizardman in Despise Fel , Each drops 3k + gold worth spined leather. 
    Gwen said:
    So @ popps , of all avaliable choices in game ,  discord(pet or bard), grasping claw, aura of nausea , armor pierce ,  RS (from beetle),  you choose to have  bandage healing as a viable skill? Tell me you also have resist spells down there?  and you choose weapon with no AI while mobs resists are nt decreased. 

I advise you to go kill easier mobs. There are lots of lizardman in Despise Fel , Each drops 3k + gold worth spined leather. 
    Sure, honor cannot increase the damage using an Air Elemental Slayer but it can increase Luck and it cost nothing to use it... so why not ?

No resists, and as I mentioned, and, as Arroth_Thaiel discussed here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87443/#Comment_87443, at 50 resistance, which it is moreless what the UEV have in poison, Armor Ignore and Double Strike will deal the same amount of damage so, chosing a 14-17 damage Bladed Staff over a 15-18 damage Double Axe, would have not made much of a difference... I find that having bandage healing is nice rather then having to rely on leeches.... but I do am going to try seeing if swapping it for Lumberjacking will make a significant increase in the damage I can do to UEV and thus reduce the time needed to kill them....

popps said:
    Gwen said:
    So @ popps , of all avaliable choices in game ,  discord(pet or bard), grasping claw, aura of nausea , armor pierce ,  RS (from beetle),  you choose to have  bandage healing as a viable skill? Tell me you also have resist spells down there?  and you choose weapon with no AI while mobs resists are nt decreased. 

Sure, honor cannot increase the damage using an Air Elemental Slayer but it can increase Luck and it cost nothing to use it... so why not ?

No resists, and as I mentioned, and, as Arroth_Thaiel discussed here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87443/#Comment_87443, at 50 resistance, which it is moreless what the UEV have in poison, Armor Ignore and Double Strike will deal the same amount of damage so, chosing a 14-17 damage Bladed Staff over a 15-18 damage Double Axe, would have not made much of a difference... I find that having bandage healing is nice rather then having to rely on leeches.... but I do am going to try seeing if swapping it for Lumberjacking will make a significant increase in the damage I can do to UEV and thus reduce the time needed to kill them....

So of all those replies you got you choose to have LJ on you. Not decreasing foe resist, or his DCI or skills , or increase parry to have more AI counterattacks  (better altogether). You choose LUMBERJACK!   Hillarious! 
    Gwen said:
    popps said:
    Gwen said:

So of all those replies you got you choose to have LJ on you. Not decreasing foe resist, or his DCI or skills , or increase parry to have more AI counterattacks  (better altogether). You choose LUMBERJACK!   Hillarious! 
    I am going to START from the quickest to implement, since it only involves a skills swap off a Soulstone... and then go from there.

Fastest change --- then change requiring a bit more time --- then change requiring more time --- then if those before did not help significantly, change requiring significant more time.

Time is the fundamental commodity... the time wasted and gone, will never come back.... it is fundamental to administer one's own time conservatively, me thinks, saving as much time as possible because once gone, it is gone for good....
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited January 2023
    Does anyone else find it ironic that "5min to kill something is too long" while playing the game but popps has responded to every single person with his standard novel length post which surely takes longer than 5min per post. This thread alone could have possibly put UEV on the verge of extinction with as much time as he spent arguing with people.

PlayerSkill has provided the best answer (includes posts from others) to neatly summarize this topic. Either completely rework the template for UEV as he has list below to decrease kill time or don't and take 5min to kill them. There isn't really any need to debate further, only choices to be made on what you want to do popps. 

Merus said:

Pawain said:

UEVs have 55-65 Poison Resist. 120 Discord lowers them to 41-51 Poison Resist. Onslaught stacks with that to further lower Poison Resist and make DS superior to AI against them. This all stacks with Corpse Skin too. Discord also drops the victim's Wrestling skill and applies a DCI debuff, making it easier to land hits on them, therefore increasing damage output.
    edited January 2023
    Right now my bard and her 3 pets are killing another discorded (with ex. instrument,  not a slayer) UEV instead of just train on poor critter. 

No damage from toon : only provo buff.    Takes them around 20-25 minutes. 
    Triton , High plains Boura and lesser Hiryu
    By the way : lowest resist on them is usually physical Mine after discord had 47 , 40 with grasping claw. .    WHy you took poison axe there , @popps ? This is for those who read all posts fully and understand : it is for Corpse Skin. 

While your time is so valuable, go tame and bond 5* lesser Hiryu. With 105-108 wrestling.   
    They are tearing UEV in pieces while you tanking it. 

UEV is dead , totally 22 minutes. 
    And I was rewarded with awesome ring  +15 HCI , 15 DCI , 5% SSI, 15 DI 5% Spirit speak. 

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    UEV is one of those mobs you want to salvage everything. They drop multiple void cores that give decent cleanup points and depending on market, can be more profitable in the long term than the faster kill mobs.

To play it safe, fandancer and tuski have always been a go to for quick kill straight gold farming. 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2023
    Since this thread has a bunch of good UEV slaying information, I just want to clarify that UEV's lowest resistance is usually Poison (low 60's), although sometimes Physical can be lower.

Resistance info for 15 UEV's (captured 31/01/2023):

Unbound Energy Vortex Damage Resistance

Physical Fire Cold Poison Energy
    70 70 65 61 100
    68 65 65 64 100
    66 72 65 57 100
    65 67 74 65 100
    67 66 68 63 100
    66 67 73 60 100
    67 66 65 65 100
    69 73 67 56 100
    61 69 69 60 100
    63 74 69 64 100
    62 68 72 56 100
    61 74 73 59 100
    60 68 75 64 100
    68 69 73 58 100
    67 69 70 63 100
                              Averages
    65 69 70 61 100

For all 15 UEV's Damage Dealt was identical: 100% Energy, 21-23 Base
    -Arroth
    Since this thread has a bunch of good UEV slaying information, I just want to clarify that UEV's lowest resistance is usually Poison (low 60's), although sometimes Physical can be lower.

Averages
    65 69 70 61 100
    Trained ferret (Nausea + grasping claw), or non-trained Lesser Hiryu (grasping claw)  will decrease physical by 7. Letting you reforge weapon to Hit fatigue, or just use normal from vendor if you use double strike or Crushing blow weapon. .
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    The must be 50 ways to kill your uev none of which popps will use..
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Grimbeard said:
    The must be 50 ways to kill your uev none of which popps will use..

Possibly, but other players are gaining ideas and knowledge from the discussion, so let's keep it civil please?
    edited January 2023
    @popps ; A dexxer suit for swords is not that expensive.  That is just something you read on forums.  You need one of these two combinations to swing at max speed with a double axe or  bladed staff.

Stam 210  SSI 5
    or Stam 180 SSI 20

You can get 5 SSI from a town buff.

You can put SSI on your weapon if you need to.

What makes the suits expensive is they want everything and 100LRC so their sampires can cast Vampiric embrace.  Then that LRC is just useless.

You can get 2 cheap pieces with high resists that have some dex stats then craft the other pieces.
    Or use some of the legendaries.  Britches of warding are not that expensive.  The blackthorn mace and shield helm is not that expensive.

Sure you can spend a lot on a suit, but you do not have to.

You should have bought some spare Paladin vambraces from the last event, you made a thread about what to double up on so you either had or pretended to have spare points.

Just having a second melee toon with EoO just hitting without specials will do more added damage than making a toon with Discord. You do not have to switch between screens.
    @Arroth_Thaiel ; I must have happened to lore a messed up EV.  It's resists were 70 poison 100 energy and 80s in the rest.  Which does not match any other I have lored or any of yours.

Or Operator error on my part.

Pawain said:
    @ popps  A dexxer suit for swords is not that expensive.  That is just something you read on forums.  

You can put SSI on your weapon if you need to.

Sure you can spend a lot on a suit, but you do not have to.

Just having a second melee toon with EoO just hitting without specials will do more added damage than making a toon with Discord. You do not have to switch between screens.

I prefer lower dex with higher ss on items with my axe samp. Epps and quiver were free during events. I also use tinker legs and ss on jewels which seem to be way cheaper than suit pieces to my fancy. 

My bandaid shield samp has practically free armor on using only +mana suit pieces. The damage is lower but it's overall a more fun temp. 

Discord is a always a good skill to have on standby. Be it a discord tamer or EoO archer they both make excellent stand in the back and do damage temps. 
  • Alil late to the party but good friend & I spent some time figuring out fastest way to kill them long ago before they got loot nerfed. We farmed them for 2-3 hours a few day per week. Loot was CrAzY. Still use the no durability bracelet gotten there, its one of my best pieces imho.

Necro discord bard using slayer instruments & corpse skin w a swordsman using 100% poison double axe spamming double strike. Not going to spell everything out for u... u should b able to go from there.

We timed most of them trying to break our record time constantly. Our best was 1min 17sec... once. 2nd lowest was 1min 27sec with most taking between 1min 35sec to 1min 50sec. Good luck.
    Ya the SSI epps have been in multiple events.  They are 130M on Atl.  Since Popps likes shard bound I am sure he can easily find them cheaper on his shard.  If he does not have spares.

One 5 SSI ring that you can imbue 4 other properties on, and the city Buff and you are at the 20SSI.

I use a Disposable swordsman with the melee skills at 100 on soul stones, 50 Chiv and LJ when created.
    They use cheap armor.
    They can do shrine battles and get the Virtue tiles. Then they go to pixel land.
  • Urge said:
    UEV is one of those mobs you want to salvage everything. They drop multiple void cores that give decent cleanup points and depending on market, can be more profitable in the long term than the faster kill mobs.

Yep, i farm UEVs for Void Orbs (imbuing Leeches), Shame Crystals (Whetstones), Vials of Vitriol (imbuing Elemental Slayer), and Void Cores. Overall very useful and profitable.

Pawain said:

What makes the suits expensive is they want everything and 100LRC so their sampires can cast Vampiric embrace.  Then that LRC is just useless.
    No need for 100% LRC on suit, can just use Arcane Thigh Boots to get into Vamp Form, and carry Arcane Gems to recharge them. Since my Sampire also has GM SS, i carry 100 Pig Iron for casting Curse Weapon, and 50-100 Batwing/Grave Dust for casting Corpse Skin. Scabbard of Juo'nar with the FC 1 Town bonus gives me 2 FC, for fast casting of those.

PlayerSkillFTW said:

Yep, i farm UEVs for Void Orbs (imbuing Leeches), Shame Crystals (Whetstones), Vials of Vitriol (imbuing Elemental Slayer), and Void Cores. Overall very useful and profitable.

Void cores was the one i couldn't remember. Isn't that the 1k cleanup point item?
    edited February 2023

@PlayerSkillFTW

May I ask whether you are also using an Elemental Cameo (I do not have one), have 100% DI on your dexer suit and what are the properties on the Double Axe which you are using, besides of course it being a 100% Poison damage ? I would imagine also Life and Mana leeches ? What else?

The reason that I am asking, is that, with 100% DI on the suit, and Air Elemental Slayer on the Weapon, then an Elemental Cameo would not be necessary, am I right ?

Also, since the Template as you describe it, has no Animal Taming and Lore, do I need to understand that the Vollem that you are using has only 120 Discord training (obviously done with a Tamer, I assume...) done with the 1 level training and then you stopped... All available points go into 120 Discord or did you have left over point put into something else ?

Never had control issues for the Vollem to get it go wild and loose it with no taming/lore skills ?

Always under Vampiric Embrace form, being a sampire, correct ?

Also, you mentioned using Corpse Skin which reduces Fire and Poison resists by 15. Do you use it only to make more effective the 100% Poison Weapon, or do you actually also have on the Weapon some Hit property like Hit Poison Area or that uses Fire like Hit Fire Area or Hit Fireball ?

Thank you.