UNBOUND Energy Vortex : What am I doing wrong ?

Since pets are pretty much useless vs. Unbound Energy Vortexes, I have been trying to find a Template that can kill them fast.

I thought that a Dexer would have done the trick but, with a Dexer using a 100% Poison Elemental Double Axe with Air Elemental Slayer, 46 HLD, 50 HSL, 45 HCI, Swing Speed 1.25, 100 DI (on suit), 50 DPS (damage per second), and reaching Perfection from Honoring it, I can only do 70 to 80 damage per hit, and even spamming Double Strike, I still need close to 4.30-5 minutes to kill an Unbound Elemental which is ridicolus, IMHO....

By the way, my character is 120.0 Swordsmanship, 115.0 Tactics and has 100.0 Anatomy....

What am I doing wrong ? I do not see it as reasonable that it takes all of this time to kill an "average" Monster.... am I not using the right skills/weapon or special moves or Chivalry spells ?

I would like to cut down the time to kill them to like 1 to 2 minutes, possibly, but closer to 1 minute would be better.....

This, without the need to have to bring along another character like a Tamer with a discord pet or a Bard to discord the Vortex.

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited January 2023
    They were not designed to be killed in 1 min.  They have over 70 in all resists so you should use a bladed staff instead of a weapon with double strike. 

Why do you call these average?  They are in the higher end of UO mobs.  Can you kill a Dimetraur or Allosaurus in 1 min?

Go play with one of those Mud guys down there if you think all those mobs are easy.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    They were not designed to be killed in 1 min.  They have over 70 in all resists so you should use a bladed staff instead of a weapon with double strike. 

Why do you call these average?  They are in the higher end of UO mobs.  Can you kill a Dimetraur or Allosaurus in 1 min?

Go play with one of those Mud guys down there if you think all those mobs are easy.
    Well, I still need to find a way to make their killing faster because I actually value my time and 5 minutes of my lifetime to kill a single Unbound Energy Vortex really seems unreasonable to me... there is a whole lot of stuff that one can do in 5 minutes, other then killing an Unbound Energy Vortex....

I will try if, with a Bladed Staff, I can manage to kill them faster, I thought of using Double Strike because I can actually hit twice in a row rather then once and so, my 70-80 per hit, with Double Strike, becomes roughly 150 per Double Strike.... would hitting with a Bladed Staff hit for more damage then a Double Strike can do ?

Any other suggestion about how to cut down the kill time to the lowest possible yet, without using a secondary character ?

Thanks.
    Sounds like you should do those other things then.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    edited January 2023
    @popps you have to realize not everything conforms to your idea of what should be. The unbound energy vortexs are difficult mobs which is why they will often drop 5 shame crystals. There are other things which are easier to kill but they will not drop as many crystals or as often. Don't bother trying a discord pet or bard I can tell you these are not discordable, so you would again be disappointed. I'd suggest that perhaps you would be better off playing a different game which allows you to get everything at the start. It seems you do not agree with the idea of earning things.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2023
    @popps

Many players are confused about when to use Armor Ignore or when to use Double Strike. Here is a very simple breakdown. (I keep this for myself as a general reminder. Things may not always work exactly this way.)

Let's say you're fighting some creature, you do 100 damage per hit, and the creature has 60 Resistance to whatever damage type you are dealing.

With Armor Ignore you will completely ignore the targets resistance and all of your damage will be delivered to the target.

Armor Ignore
    Damage you deal 100
    Creature Resistance 0
    Damage to target 100

With Double Strike you will strike twice, but the targets resistance to whatever damage type you are dealing will be factored into both strikes.

Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100
    Creature Resistance 60
    1st Strike 40
    2nd Strike 40
    Damage to target 80

At 50 resistance Armor Ignore and Double Strike will deal the same amount of damage.

Armor Ignore Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100 100
    Creature Resistance 0 50
    1st Strike 50
    2nd Strike 50
    Damage to target 100 100

The result:
    50 Resistance and above use Armor Ignore.
    50 Resistance and below use Double Strike.

Hopefully that makes sense.

--

For your UEV's in particular, if you don't lower their resistance a bit, use Armor Ignore.

or

Use a pet to discord the UEV (if they can), or use Runic Corruption, or Onslaught, or a combo, to lower the resistance.

Example, if a UEV resistance to Poison is 60%, and you don't lower it, Armor Ignore will deal more damage than Double Strike. However, if you do lower the resistance: say Discord lowers it to 50%, and Onslaught lowers it to 30%, Double Strike will deal more damage than Armor Ignore.

Armor Ignore Double Strike Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100 100 100
    UEV Poison Resistance 0 60 Not lowered  30 Lowered
    1st Strike 40 70
    2nd Strike 40 70
    Damage to target 100 80 140

--

Good Luck!
    -Arroth
    edited January 2023
    Riner said:
    @ popps you have to realize not everything conforms to your idea of what should be. The unbound energy vortexs are difficult mobs which is why they will often drop 5 shame crystals. There are other things which are easier to kill but they will not drop as many crystals or as often. Don't bother trying a discord pet or bard I can tell you these are not discordable, so you would again be disappointed. I'd suggest that perhaps you would be better off playing a different game which allows you to get everything at the start. It seems you do not agree with the idea of earning things.
    Well, the thing is, that I do not see a particular difficulty in killing an Unbound Energy Vortex...

I do not find it difficult at all.... just sit there and bash it.... for 5 minutes....

It is only ridicolously time consuming but I fail to see any particular difficulty in killing them....

I hardly loose more then 10% health and a single bandage gets it back with ease.... thus, when I eventually kill one, I hardly feel like I have earned the loot.... I more feel at a gross loss because, at the end of the process, I stood there for 5 fat minutes in order to be able to kill it...

Hell, I can sometimes deal with 2 Unbounds on me at once without dieing although, that is pointless to do since I can only hit one at a time for decent damage, using FWW does less damage...  and also Momentum strike which supposedly should help hitting 2 creatures at once, in the end does not seem to speed up the process....

Bottom line is, those 5 minutes to kill an Unbound seem to me such an extraordinary enormous amount of time that I was convinced that I had to be doing something wrong, and that there was a better way to kill them faster....

I am astonished to learn that there isn't....really astonished....
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "like arroth said, you're using onslaught? (swords mastery)"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited January 2023
    @ popps

Many players are confused about when to use Armor Ignore or when to use Double Strike. Here is a very simple breakdown. (I keep this for myself as a general reminder. Things may not always work exactly this way.)

Let's say you're fighting some creature, you do 100 damage per hit, and the creature has 60 Resistance to whatever damage type you are dealing.

With Armor Ignore you will completely ignore the targets resistance and all of your damage will be delivered to the target.

Armor Ignore
    Damage you deal 100
    Creature Resistance 0
    Damage to target 100

With Double Strike you will strike twice, but the targets resistance to whatever damage type you are dealing will be factored into both strikes.

Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100
    Creature Resistance 60
    1st Strike 40
    2nd Strike 40
    Damage to target 80

At 50 resistance Armor Ignore and Double Strike will deal the same amount of damage.

Armor Ignore Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100 100
    Creature Resistance 0 50
    1st Strike 50
    2nd Strike 50
    Damage to target 100 100

The result:
    50 Resistance and above use Armor Ignore.
    50 Resistance and below use Double Strike.

Hopefully that makes sense.

--

For your UEV's in particular, if you don't lower their resistance a bit, use Armor Ignore.

or

Use a pet to discord the UEV (if they can), or use Runic Corruption, or Onslaught, or a combo, to lower the resistance.

Example, if a UEV resistance to Poison is 60%, and you don't lower it, Armor Ignore will deal more damage than Double Strike. However, if you do lower the resistance: say Discord lowers it to 50%, and Onslaught lowers it to 30%, Double Strike will deal more damage than Armor Ignore.

Armor Ignore Double Strike Double Strike
    Damage you deal 100 100 100
    UEV Poison Resistance 0 60 Not lowered  30 Lowered
    1st Strike 40 70
    2nd Strike 40 70
    Damage to target 100 80 140

--

Good Luck!
    @Arroth_Thaiel

Well, thanks, that is quite some good food for thought !!

Apparently, from your numbers, with a Rune Corruption pet that halves the UEV's resistances, then, using Double Strike would achieve 40% more damage as compared to using an Armor Ignore weapon....

That is quite a bit more damage that should cut my 5 minutes kill time of quite a bit...

I hate, though, to have to bring along a secondary character.... I would have much preferred to have been able to kill UEVs faster with only the one dexer....

Oh well.... I guess that I have to convert to multi-clienting... although that does not please me at all....

Any suggestion on what pet would then work the best as a Rune Corruption pet ?

I guess, one that I can park it on the UEV, that is, with native healing... and with lots and lots of Mana so as to be able to use Rune Corruption indefinitely while my Dexer does the real damage using Double Strikes a go go ?

What would be one such pet, then ?

Thanks for the kind help !!

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    There are a variety of ways to make it go faster.

Best bet for a single character to my understanding:

Swords sampire using honor, the 100% poison weapon with air elemental slayer, onslaught every 4-5 swings, double strike, and with a 120 discord vollem as a secondary attacker.  That should lower its resistance enough to be getting 100+ damage per strike.

With the amount of hit points they have it’s still gonna take a couple minutes.

There may also be an option for a tamer/warrior/bard template that I haven’t tried.
    120 taming, lore, music, discord
    add in wrestling, anatomy and healing… plus a refined energy suit.  Basically your character tanks and heals to stay alive, discords the UEV and uses 5 wolf spiders to attack.  In theory the wolf spiders might be able to out damage the double strike on a discorded UEV.

If you really want to speed it up, use 2 accounts.
    edited January 2023
    Merus said:

Swords sampire using honor, the 100% poison weapon with air elemental slayer, onslaught every 4-5 swings, double strike, and with a 120 discord vollem as a secondary attacker.  That should lower its resistance enough to be getting 100+ damage per strike.

There may also be an option for a tamer/warrior/bard template that I haven’t tried.
    add in wrestling, anatomy and healing… plus a refined energy suit.  Basically your character tanks and heals to stay alive, discords the UEV and uses 5 wolf spiders to attack.  In theory the wolf spiders might be able to out damage the double strike on a discorded UEV.

@Merus

Your 1st set up suggestion is pretty much what I am currently using although, without the 120 discord vollem....

Did you try that set up and got the UEV down in about 2 minutes on average ?

The reason that I am asking, is that, without the 120 discord vollem, it takes me a fat 5 minutes... I would be much surprised to learn that the presence of a 120 discord Vollem would cut the kill time of a good 3 minutes...

Also, that would mean a 2nd character as a Tamer to master the 120 discord Vollem, right ?

So, it would still be multi-clienting....

Also, in this thread, @Riner here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87442/#Comment_87442 mentioned not to bother with a Discord pet or a Bard with Discord because, to his experience, UEVs cannot be discorded....

Why would a 120 Vollem be instead able to discord them, if I may ask ?
    edited January 2023
    @popps
     I know each 5 minute increment of time is very valuable to you, but do you not think that the same is true for everyone?  Why dont you go down there with a Bard and see if they can be discorded? Instead of wanting someone else to do it?

A bard with an air elemental slayer or ele slayer would be the best test.  A pet does not carry slayers on them...
    edited January 2023
    Yes they can be discorded with an Elemental instrument.  Possibly without in lots of tries.

So glad I saved you 5 mins of testing...
    edited January 2023
    I had to go find out myself...

4x120 Bard, Discord Mastery, Air Ele Slayer instrument, first try...

-Arroth
    edited January 2023
    Pawain said:
    @ popps
     I know each 5 minute increment of time is very valuable to you, but do you not think that the same is true for everyone?  Why dont you go down there with a Bard and see if they can be discorded? Instead of wanting someone else to do it?

A bard with an air elemental slayer or ele slayer would be the best test.  A pet does not carry slayers on them...
    Well, @Riner said, in  his post here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87442/#Comment_87442 "Don't bother trying a discord pet or bard I can tell you these are not discordable, so you would again be disappointed."

So, for me the argument Discording was a non-argument.

He tried, it did not work. Why should it has worked for me if another player tried it and did not work for them ?

You bring up using a Slayer instrument.... mkay.... 120 Discordance + Slayers makes sense that it "could" work.... but that does still not explain why then a 120 Discord Vollem should be able to discord the UEV since pets do not use Slayer instruments, to my knowledge and as you also point out.... and, again, Riner mentioned using a Discord pet and this not working...

So, everything looks quite confusing.... some players say it works, others say it doesn't...

Shouldn't it just either "yes" work or "no" work ?

How come that different UO players get different results ?

How can this be possible when the code is one and the same for everyone ?
    I had to go find out myself...

4x120 Bard, Discord Mastery, Air Ele Slayer instrument, first try...

Meh, now I got to train 4 Bardic skills on an EJ character.... dang.... and this, when I did not want to multi-client.... but I guess I value my time more then playing UO on a single client.....

If this can save me 3 minutes per UEV kill, that is half hour in 10 kills or an entire hour in 20 kills.... quite a significant time of my life gained.....

Oh well....
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    "popps, i have a 2 slot lesser hiryu, that has 120 discordance, think it only requires low taming/lore

you could prob fit that on your warrior

edit, lesser hiryu takes high control (108), maybe lasher trained would be better, prob need like 66/66 taming/lore

(you might even be able to put rune corruption on too, some of the vanity mounts let you put just about anything on, not sure without testing) "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited January 2023
    So you are going to get 120 on Music and Discord on a toon when will take a lot of your precious time, rather than just spending the 5 min to kill each one.

Reducing the resists to to 10 more damage is not going to save you enough time to quantify that much effort to drag along a bard since it is not made. 
    edited January 2023
    Since those do not discord on first try without a slayer.  I checked and their barding difficulty is 160 which is the highest that stat will show.

A little known factoid about Discordance:

For creatures with a barding difficulty of 160, the debuff is halved, which means there is a debuff of only 14% instead of 28%, with a discord level of 120

So Discording it will bring the 70s resist to to around 60.  So using an AI weapon would still do more damage since you get 95% damage from the weapon on 0 resist.

In this case you can not speed up the kill unless you bring another melee toon.
    edited January 2023
    So @popps you are already doing the most damage you can.  You can increase your skills and do a little more or get the Onslaught and AI bonus as much as possible.

Otherwise bring another melee toon or archer/thrower.

Have quicker reflexes maybe.  That's what makes me do less damage than others.
    Pawain said:
    So you are going to get 120 on Music and Discord on a toon when will take a lot of your precious time, rather than just spending the 5 min to kill each one.

Reducing the resists to to 10 more damage is not going to save you enough time to quantify that much effort to drag along a bard since it is not made. 
    Well, but once I have done the 4 x 120 Bard then I have it for good.... so, in a way, one could see it as an investment in time.... spend more time now, to save it later....

Not to mention, that I could also entertain the idea of a 5 bucks Mythic token which could save me some good time... and, if I can gather jewels with Bardic skill points on, that would also save me some good time... in the end, with 25 bucks and buying a bracelet and ring with bardic skills, it might not be "that" much time consuming to make a 4 x 120 Bard...

And if I really feel spending a little 20 bucks extra to save up even more time, the De Luxe starter Pack has the Token of Skill Alacrity that gives me a week to enjoy faster skill gains...

How much is one's own time worth ?

How long would I need to spend to train 4 x 120 Bardic skills ? Would 25 or 45 bucks be worth the time saved ?
    edited January 2023
    Pawain said:
    Since those do not discord on first try without a slayer.  I checked and their barding difficulty is 160 which is the highest that stat will show.

A little known factoid about Discordance:

For creatures with a barding difficulty of 160, the debuff is halved, which means there is a debuff of only 14% instead of 28%, with a discord level of 120

So Discording it will bring the 70s resist to to around 60.  So using an AI weapon would still do more damage since you get 95% damage from the weapon on 0 resist.

In this case you can not speed up the kill unless you bring another melee toon.
    Well, then a pet with Rune Corruption which halves resistances would work better then Discordance, wouldn't it ?

https://www.uo-cah.com/pet-abilities/Rune_Corruption

I only need to find a pet with self healing (so that I can park the 2nd client tamer and focus on using the dexer to do the most of the damage) that can have enough Mana to sustain the 30 Mana cost for the entire duration of the fight....

There is 12 x 5s in 1 minute.... so that takes 360 Mana for 1 minute fight to have Rune Corruption always up and running which it means that my dexer can then spawn Double Strike for 140 damage at all times.

The Unbound has 20,000 hit points which it means at 140 per hit, some 143 Double strike hits.

Swinging at 1.25, taking into account misses, it would roughly mean about 2 minutes to kill an unbound.... maybe less, assuming that the pet will also do some damage...

I just need to find the right pet and figure out what would be the best training to give to it.

Suggestions ?
    edited January 2023
    @popps

Bard skills will need to be in real skill, I believe, not equipped skill.

As Yoshi mentioned, you might try a disco pet, vollum or otherwise, with your warrior before making a bard. I'm not sure what setup Riner was using, but it's possible there is some trick to getting the pet to Disco the UEV. Pet people may (or may not) be willing to share that trick.

You might be able to farm the UEV's with your fighter/vollum and a tamer with a Rune Corruption pet (2 accounts). That would give you Rune Corruption (or whatever it's called), Discordance, and Onslaught, all lowering the UEV's resistance and allowing Double Strike to hit for a lot more damage.

The Double Axe is a nice weapon since it has Double Strike and Whirlwind, but you're not champ spawning, you don't need whirlwind to farm UEV's. If you can get the UEV resistance down to where Double Strike outperforms Armor Ignore, consider a Two-Handed Axe (100% Poison, Air Ele Slayer). The Two-Handed Axe still has Double Strike, but will do one more point of damage, both low and high end, then the Double Axe. One additional point of damage doesn't seem like much, but it adds up over 1000's of hits.

If you are not having problems staying alive, you could also up your Anatomy/Tactics to 120 and/or your Strength to 150, and/or add Lumberjacking to your template. That, of course, will be dependent on your template and how well you are doing against the UEV's. 

You have many options to increase your damage output, depending on what you want to do, and how you enjoy playing the game.

-Good luck!

P.S. I believe that if you play in Felucca, every UEV drops 5 Shame Crystals? Or is it just the bosses that are guaranteed to drop whetstone ingredients in Felucca?

P.P.S. You might be able to find someone on your shard who also wants Shame Crystals. They might be willing to back you and split crystals...just saying. Sometimes we all tend to focus on maximizing solo play and forget UO is still an MMO. 
    -Arroth
    edited January 2023
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Well, but once I have done the 4 x 120 Bard then I have it for good.... so, in a way, one could see it as an investment in time.... spend more time now, to save it later....

Not to mention, that I could also entertain the idea of a 5 bucks Mythic token which could save me some good time... and, if I can gather jewels with Bardic skill points on, that would also save me some good time... in the end, with 25 bucks and buying a bracelet and ring with bardic skills, it might not be "that" much time consuming to make a 4 x 120 Bard...

And if I really feel spending a little 20 bucks extra to save up even more time, the De Luxe starter Pack has the Token of Skill Alacrity that gives me a week to enjoy faster skill gains...

How long would I need to spend to train 4 x 120 Bardic skills ? Would 25 or 45 bucks be worth the time saved ?
    Did you not read what I said?

If you discord the vortex the resist will only drop to 60.  An AI weapon will do the same damage as it does now!!!!

Discording the vortex will not let you do any more damage than you can now.

If you spend ten minutes or a month making a bard you will not get a benefit from it.

Make another melee or archer!
    edited January 2023
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Did you not read what I said?

If you discord the vortex the resist will only drop to 60.  An AI weapon will do the same damage as it does now!!!!

Discording the vortex will not let you do any more damage than you can now.

If you spend ten minutes or a month making a bard you will not get a benefit from it.

Make another melee or archer!
    Discord and onslaught lower the resists enough to make double strike a little more damage than AI with a 100% poison damage weapon, at least in my experience.
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Merus

Your 1st set up suggestion is pretty much what I am currently using although, without the 120 discord vollem....

The reason that I am asking, is that, without the 120 discord vollem, it takes me a fat 5 minutes... I would be much surprised to learn that the presence of a 120 discord Vollem would cut the kill time of a good 3 minutes...

Also, that would mean a 2nd character as a Tamer to master the 120 discord Vollem, right ?

Also, in this thread, @ Riner here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87442/#Comment_87442 mentioned not to bother with a Discord pet or a Bard with Discord because, to his experience, UEVs cannot be discorded....

A sampire can control a vollem who has been through 1 round of training to add the discord and the 120 scroll.  I confirmed it on test a while back.  I believe you have to do the training with a tamer, but it can be done.

I believe a 120 disco pet can discord a 160 bard difficulty, but it can take a while sometimes.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Merus

Also, in this thread, @ Riner here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/87442/#Comment_87442 mentioned not to bother with a Discord pet or a Bard with Discord because, to his experience, UEVs cannot be discorded....

A sampire can control a vollem who has been through 1 round of training to add the discord and the 120 scroll.  I confirmed it on test a while back.  I believe you have to do the training with a tamer, but it can be done.

I believe a 120 disco pet can discord a 160 bard difficulty, but it can take a while sometimes.
    More importantly why is there 160 bard difficulty 
    edited January 2023
    Ok Popps they say to spend 2 years making a Bard so you can discord it and do 10% more damage per hit.  I guess they missed the part where you said discording will save 3 min of time per EV. (Which 10 to 30 seconds is more realistic)

Come back and tell us the new time at that point.
    Grimbeard said:
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Merus

I was driving the easy bus when they designed those mobs.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Merus

I was driving the easy bus when they designed those mobs.
    So you agree Bards are long neglected and need love
    Pawain said:
    Ok Popps they say to spend 2 years making a Bard so you can discord it and do 10% more damage per hit.  I guess they missed the part where you said discording will save 3 min of time per EV. (Which 10 to 30 seconds is more realistic)

Come back and tell us the new time at that point.
    I’m not suggesting it’s worth the fight, only that it’s the setup that allows the highest single player damage output that I’m aware of.  Since they nerfed the loot on them I think they are a complete waste of time.